Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 20, 2014, 05:43:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ot: da Bears  (Read 1359 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »

they are unfortunately "who i thought they were", might as well sit cutler this week and not risk getting his brains scrambled anymore considering their chances of winning on the road@SF were small to begin with.

I'm not really a Bears fan, but I'm sure tired of the type of flagrant shot that took Cutler out of the game. Guy delivers an illegal blow to the head, gets the opposing starting QB out of the game, and it's only a 15 yard penalty. Lots of players have made careers of doing that cheap shot to injure key players on the other team, for instance Tony Sirigusa. The NFL needs something like a game misconduct to throw the guys who do the cheap shots out of the game, as well as the team yardage penalties and whatever later fines. It's obvious that whatever penalties they're giving now aren't doing the job. 
Report to moderator   Logged

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »

I'm not really a Bears fan, but I'm sure tired of the type of flagrant shot that took Cutler out of the game. Guy delivers an illegal blow to the head, gets the opposing starting QB out of the game, and it's only a 15 yard penalty.  

The NHL is doing a better job or penalizing guys, but trying to balance a 25 game suspension against a guy possibly having mush for brains by the time he's 50 is pretty dicey stuff.

Boxers and MMA fighters sign up for head shots, but not football and hockey players. Some kind of elevated sanction is needed.

I'd like to see "tit for tat plus" for head shots in football: you are OUT until the week *after* the guy you injured comes back.

And here's the part of my rule that would be difficult to swallow, but it would make players THINK: if the guy you injured doesn't ever come back, too bad for you: you're ALL DONE.

Put this in, and watch how few head shots you see all season long. 
TheRedMile

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »

imo the cutler hit was not a flagrant foul / hit
it is the very thing that made the nfl into what it is.flag football or even lingerie football will never be as popular because there is no violence.the guy left the pocket and opened himself up to being hit.
i do agree with hv on the need for a equal penalty on something flagrant
the rules of the game are always changing and imo some not for the good.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »

imo the cutler hit was not a flagrant foul / hit
it is the very thing that made the nfl into what it is.flag football or even lingerie football will never be as popular because there is no violence.

"No violent hits" and "No head shots" are two different things.

I played football (sandlot and H.S.), and I always tried to hit guys as hard as I could, but I NEVER, ever went for their heads. I was taught to play tough but fair, and to always remember that the guy across from me is a human being, and that we were playing a GAME.

WTF ever happened to that? Someone tell me WHY you have to go for a guy's head to make the game entertaining?

TheRedMile

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »

i do not think that all the head shots started out that way.it only takes someone to move an inch either way and the result maybe a head shot.
i also do not think itoday's game they are as dirty as they were before they made all this money.let's go back to butkus and nitschke and compare
they kept playing because they needed the cash,today in all sports with the contracts guaranteed no need to risk further injury
i think today's players have more respect for each other than in the past
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »

i also do not think itoday's game they are as dirty as they were before they made all this money.let's go back to butkus and nitschke and compare

What is WAY different from the Butkus & Nitschke days is the *equipment* -- back then, if you went after a guys head, you were just as likely to get knocked out yourself.

Today's helmets are certainly like weapons, when applied with force at top speed. No fair if you can't get hurt while you are knocking a guy into next week.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: