Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 09:14:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Campbell's character  (Read 2602 times)
newjackcity

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »

More sports should have ambassadors like him. Class act. End of story.  thumbs up beer thumbs up
Report to moderator   Logged
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »

AMEN
stone162

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »

Yes that is a real interesting observation !
Especially from some one who has know horses!
You see I know a few stories about Mr Campbell and mistakes he's made that at his age I cannot except as a good trainer he should know better!
But as you can see many here ghink he is the greatest thing since puberty,I'm so sure you reminded him of that when you talk to him this morning?

Mistakes he made as a trainer at his age?HuhHuhHuhHuh?? When was the last time you saw him listed as trainer?HuhHuhHuhHuh
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »

1982 I THINK
JLB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »

I've met him a few times, and found him gracious and willing to spend time talking about the industry. He's driven a few horses of mine, some very well, some not so well. But the fact is that he has made a tremendous contribution to the sport over the years-compare his post-race interviews to Bill O'Donnell's in the 80's, and tell me which one you would want as a spokesman. And he and his wife have worked tirelessly at the Standardbred Retirement Foundation.

So, we all may have different opinions as to his ability to drive a horse these days-and there is no doubt he, and Lachance, and others, are well past their peak; but if you don't like him as a driver, DON'T BET HIM !
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »

THATS ALWAYS BEEN AN OPTION
ThePaceMaker

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 03:45:28 AM »

As a relatively novice harness bettor I made it a point to see the guy drive @ Maywood most recently just to say that I had seen him live much like a kid in D.C. had to see MJ play in person when he was a Wizard. I think JC only drove once so it's not fair to criticize a guy for going 0 for 1 but much like the Washington Wizard fan would I have to put an asterisk next to the statement "I saw the great John Campbell race @ Maywood" bc he's no longer that guy
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:36 PM »

NO KIDDING,,,BUT HES STILL VERY GOOD
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 11:19:28 PM »

NO KIDDING,,,BUT HES STILL VERY GOOD
John Campbell lied !
So much for your opinion of nice guys !
Don't let your man crush get in the way of your love of a liar!

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »

I DONT THINK SO ,,JOHN AND I ARE HONEST MEN
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 11:58:26 PM »

I DONT THINK SO ,,JOHN AND I ARE HONEST MEN
Read what he said in Kentucky and post your honest opinion.
Don't try to blow hot smoke  please and don't try to be a wax man .

MR.DALRAE

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »

HE DID VERY WELL,,,BY THE WAY SEARS CAUSED THE JAM UP
Hardline

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »

Here we go again---The horse (and it's Fuel cartridges) makes the driver the driver does not make the horse---If the best driver --- drives the best horse and looses---- they will always blame the horse and trainer..

We could take an unknown driver with limited stock to drive --  turn around and let him catch drive the best horse in every race for the next month--(win-lose-or draw) and he will be in the top 5 drivers at that track for that month....Period
TheRedMile

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »

Here we go again---The horse (and it's Fuel cartridges) makes the driver the driver does not make the horse---If the best driver --- drives the best horse and looses---- they will always blame the horse and trainer..
We could take an unknown driver with limited stock to drive --  turn around and let him catch drive the best horse in every race for the next month--(win-lose-or draw) and he will be in the top 5 drivers at that track for that month....Period

i agree with you about having the horsepower to drive
however the top drivers will be sought after for the good horses because they are good drivers juat as jc was for yrs
i have always been a huge jc fan and yes he may not be what he once was but also is not as bad as some make him out to be
he has reduced his driving over the last 4-5 yrs for many reasons including injury
during the winters he has become a weekend driver  it is hard to keep or get good horses when you drive part time
if you look at his stats for this yr he is avg $200+ in fees every time he gets behind one   making about $15K a month  driving part time
TheRedMile

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »

John Campbell lied !

what did jc say that was  a lie ?
king151

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »

John Campbell lied !

What did John lie about Fuzzy or are you off your meds again ?
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »

SHE HAS MUTIPLE BAD PERSONALITIES
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:07 PM »

SHE HAS MUTIPLE BAD PERSONALITIES
That way my guy friends never have to cheat!

MR.DALRAE

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »

NICE CONCEPT
VicD

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »

JC is the best ambassador the sport has had in many years, maybe ever. A different human being than his brother in law, Billy O. Although I must say that Billy was very entertaining to talk to, at least when he was sober..
He is an articulate guy, and his integrity on the track over the years is only questioned by the degenerate losers who never win.
He has all the money he will ever need, and he earned it by winning races, not by doing what Herve did.
The guy never gambled, and he sure didn't stiff, at least not very often.
To criticize his driving today if just plain stupid.
What athlete is better at 55 than at 25?
Perhaps some don't like him because he doesn't sound like some back woods idiot who dropped out of grade school?
Classy guy who would always take a few minutes to talk, and I did that with him more than a few times at the Continental Arena at Devils games.
A real driver with real skill, maybe the best ever, who knows how to win from anywhere on the track, not like these butchers of today who know nothing but gun to the lead and hope to hold on. Lots of finesse..
Jeepers

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »

JC is the best ambassador the sport has had in many years, maybe ever. A different human being than his brother in law, Billy O. Although I must say that Billy was very entertaining to talk to, at least when he was sober..
He is an articulate guy, and his integrity on the track over the years is only questioned by the degenerate losers who never win.
He has all the money he will ever need, and he earned it by winning races, not by doing what Herve did.
Perhaps some don't like him because he doesn't sound like some back woods idiot who dropped out of grade school?
Classy guy who would always take a few minutes to talk, and I did that with him more than a few times at the Continental Arena at Devils games.
A real driver with real skill, maybe the best ever, who knows how to win from anywhere on the track, not like these butchers of today who know nothing but gun to the lead and hope to hold on. Lots of finesse..

I'm pleased to read (and I'll assume it's true) that "he has all the money he'll ever need."

I'd hope no less for the most recognizable figure in the sport (that's not very recognizable). When I discovered the sport in the mid-90s, he was the man, and he wore it well.

I hope all the greats (including Dave Magee and Tony Morgan) have some money in the bank.

I'm not sure how the drivers and trainers make it today

the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »

Well Said Vic  thumbs up
VicD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »

Funny story about Billy O, and off the track..
About 13 years ago I got into the business of selling securities (muni bonds) for this story.
I'm new in a new office and I get a lead card with the name W. O'Donnell, of Franklin Lakes, NJ.
I was pretty sure it was Billy O.
I get him on the phone, and if possible, he is worse on the phone than in person..
I meet with him and I mention the "No shit" interview with Alan Kirchenbaum(?).
He laughs and says, "What the *** was I supposed to say?"
I actually sold him some bonds that day and we did some biz one time after that.
Very salty guy, totally opposite JC.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »

About 13 years ago I got into the business of selling securities (muni bonds) for this story.
I'm new in a new office and I get a lead card with the name W. O'Donnell, of Franklin Lakes, NJ.
I get him on the phone, and if possible, he is worse on the phone than in person..
I actually sold him some bonds that day and we did some biz one time after that.
Would I be incorrect if I said 75% of the drivers/trainers of this game past and present more closely resemble the personality traits of Billy O? The names I can remember of having a personality/tact were Lucien Fontaine, Jimmy Marohn, etc. In the last 20 years I see more with a "billy O personality" than anything.
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »

I think the "No Shit" interview was with Spencer Ross at Roosevelt. He became one of my favorites after that. The guys says to him Bad break your horse got scratched in a big $$$ race. Duh !! What is he supposed to say ?

And to answer your question who is better at 55 than 25 well Barry Bonds was better at about 40 than at 25 .  sarcasm
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: