Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 20, 2014, 03:37:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combined political thread  (Read 7613 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »

My sentiments exactly...and i won't waste the next four yrs worrying about stuff i have no control over - it is what it is

Certainly true. The time to do something was during the Republican primaries, when they could have selected a candidate and platform that appealed to the middle of the road. Obama was ripe for the taking. Instead they went extremist, and lost. Now we - all of us - have Obama four more years.

.....we gotta pull down our big kids pants , bend over and take it.....or go be an illegal in mexico..... sarcasm

Now that the election is finally over, I'm curious to find out if the Republicans are willing to sacrifice the good of the entire American nation another four years through obstruction for obstruction's sake all in the name of "making Obama fail", and if the Dems will come off some of their own sticking points ... like food stamps. I think I'm the only one in all Chicagoland not carrying an Illinois LINK card these days.  Angry  I'm even going to write my Dem Congresswoman about that one.
Report to moderator   Logged

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »

Certainly true. The time to do something was during the Republican primaries, when they could have selected a candidate and platform that appealed to the middle of the road.

Lucky for us they didn't have such a candidate. I can't think of a single member of the Republican party who is "middle of the road."

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »

Lucky for us they didn't have such a candidate. I can't think of a single member of the Republican party who is "middle of the road."

Not the current extremist Republican party, that's for sure. Well, maybe that one Senator from Maine who retired. And Scott Brown from Mass. didn't seem too bad, but he made the mistake of aligning with the extremists early on. The rest are all raving lunatics, farther to the right than Barry Goldwater ever dreamed of being.

I'm thinking in terms of more centrist guys from the past, like Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, etc. Guys who knew you have to be President of ALL the people of both sexes and all colors, and try to address all their needs. Not guys who immediately write off the 47% who don't make enough to pay income tax and say you're not going to worry about them, or embrace party policies that are openly hostile to women, and Latinos, and older folks living on SS, etc. 

mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »

Here is an example Terry whats wrong with the link program I have a cousin who has over 400K cash in his bank account from accident settlement works full-time for his family business cash and has his home paid for 208K from accident settlement.  Perfectly healthy and working right now but because he shows no income he gets to keep the 181.00 per month food stamps plus he has medicade full insurance with perscription card.  Because he makes no reported income he gets to keep all these benefits paid for by the hard working tax payers.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: November 16, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »

Here is an example Terry whats wrong with the link program I have a cousin who has over 400K cash in his bank account from accident settlement works full-time for his family business cash and has his home paid for 208K from accident settlement.  Perfectly healthy and working right now but because he shows no income he gets to keep the 181.00 per month food stamps plus he has medicade full insurance with perscription card.  Because he makes no reported income he gets to keep all these benefits paid for by the hard working tax payers.

I know there are things wrong with that program here and in other states. Like I said, when I go to the store, it seems like I'm the only one not whipping out a Link card. I know this isn't Lake Forest, but come on. In Montana unmarried mothers can get food stamps even if they're living in a big house with a very successful guy for many years and the kids are his. Unfortunately the states make a lot of the eligibility rules because, as Romney continually reminded us, they know better how to allocate the Federal dollars. I'm going to write my Congresswoman and tell her I think that needs to be revisited. Either that or just cut the total and make the states do the work on their rules. I know you have a Dem senator yourself in Durbin, so you should also write to him.

mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: November 16, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »

....we gotta pull down our big kids pants , bend over and take it.... sarcasm

Say when!    sarcasm
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »

What the heck is a Link card?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: November 16, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »

Illinois food stamp "credit" card recharged monthly. Which, for some reason, it seems you are able to "get cash back" with just like your own debit card to some extent, and then turn around and use that cash to fund your liquor purchase (rung up separately). Amazing things you see go on in the checkout line around here.

Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: November 16, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »

It is a card you use to pay for food purchases to free up your cash for a Cadillac Escalade payment.
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »

It is a card you use to pay for food purchases to free up your cash for a Cadillac Escalade payment.

How true!  laughing guy
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »

How true!  laughing guy

I have never heard of this.  Terrible.
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: November 17, 2012, 01:37:54 AM »

I have never heard of this.  Terrible.

Pammy, believe me, you are better off not knowing about it.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: November 17, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »

Which, for some reason, it seems you are able to "get cash back" with just like your own debit card to some extent,

This isn't true. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of poor people on food aid. The way people with Link cards try to get cash from them is to ask if they can buy food for someone (e.g. me) with the Link card and have the person being solicited pay them the amount debited from their card in cash.
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: November 17, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »

This isn't true. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of poor people on food aid. The way people with Link cards try to get cash from them is to ask if they can buy food for someone (e.g. me) with the Link card and have the person being solicited pay them the amount debited from their card in cash.

A guy I worked with would buy them for 50 cents on the dollar several years ago. Not sure if you can do that now, but would imagine it is easy to find a place to use it even if your name isn't on it. 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: November 17, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »

I've seen with my own eyes the cashiers simply hand over cash to people who just bought their food with the card. Maybe there was some bogus intermediate transaction or fake item sold, but the bottom line was cash was coming off the card, which was then used to buy the next item on the conveyor belt, liquor. Like I said, when I go to the stores in my neighborhood, it seems I'm about the only one WITHOUT a Link card, and I've seen it all through the years.

Mick

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »

Like Terry, I've seen many people using link cards where I shop.  Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't have a link card.    However, I mostly shop at a store without liquor and never saw it used for that.   I have no problem with it being used for food.

As for the Escalade crowd using link, think about it. at least they are buying American.   hahahaha   Grin

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
TheRedMile

« Reply #291 on: November 18, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »

depending on the card and the benefit there maybe cash involved on the card
if a person is only receiving food stamps there is no cash involved
they can only purchase groceries  to be taken home and fixed to eat
no ready to eat heated products like chicken from the deli can be bought
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: November 18, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »

embrace party policies that are openly hostile to women, and Latinos, and older folks living on SS, etc. 

Bush passed prescription plan for seniors in 2003

Obama promissed immigration reform the first year of his first term-yet nothing. He has deported 400,000 per year-more than any other president.(I applaud him for doing his job on this)

As a State Senator, Barack Obama voted `present' on seven abortion bills, including a ban on 'partial birth abortion,' two parental notification laws and three 'born alive' bills.  In each case, the right vote was clear, but Senator Obama chose political cover over standing and fighting for his convictions. A real leader for a woman's rights?

More deception from Terry. It never ends

Cablacinasian

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »

Here is the problem with America in a nutshell.

Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »

Once and for all, kindly get over your love affair with the fetus.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »

Once and for all, kindly get over your love affair with the fetus.

It's pretty hard to believe these righties truly care anything at all about human life when you see them in their primary debates cheering the idea of human beings dying because they don't have health insurance. Not to mention all their war blood lust and disregard for the lives of humans in other countries.

Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »

It's pretty hard to believe these righties truly care anything at all about human life when you see them in their primary debates cheering the idea of human beings dying because they don't have health insurance. Not to mention all their war blood lust and disregard for the lives of humans in other countries.

Is that similar to the disregard this administration had for the four Americans killed in Benghazi when they pleaded for help? I guess they have started early by dictating who lives and dies like they will with Obamacare. If they had flashed their union cards, they may be alive today. 
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: November 19, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »

Get off the internet and go back to the Limbaugh show.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: