Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 22, 2014, 09:19:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf Thursday Notes  (Read 125 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: November 01, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »

Flashy Ways – Shipped over Hollywood Park on Tuesday, jogged 6f on Wednesday, and galloped 1 1/4m Thursday morning for trainer Richard Baltas before schooling in the paddock prior to the second race.

Baltas is pleased with the preparation by the Kentucky-bred daughter of Catienus owned by Riley Racing Stable.

“I've got a lot of confidence in my filly,” Baltas said. "It's a 14-horse field of the best horses in the world. She's undefeated (2-for-2) but there's another undefeated filly (Spring Venture) in there, too. I just think the fact that she has run on this turf course and has been a mile around two turns is going to serve her well.”

Flotilla – see European report

Infanta Branca – see European report

Kitten's Point – Augustin Stable’s Kitten’s Point prepared for a scheduled start in Friday’s Juvenile Fillies Turf by galloping 1 1/2m under exercise rider David Nava Thursday morning at Santa Anita.

Moonwalk/Sustained – Trainer Dale Romans’ two Juvenile Fillies Turf hopefuls galloped Thursday and were going to school in the paddock later in the day. Romans said the Sustained continues to show improvement from an earlier foot bruise and that it shouldn’t be an issue in the race.

Oscar Party – The Wayne Catalano-trained filly arrived in California Wednesday on the final Tex Sutton charter that originated in New York and stopped in Kentucky en route, where the daughter of Dixie Union boarded.

“We’re happy with her,” Catalano said.  “We had her out to stretch her legs a little bit this morning.”

Oscar Party broke her maiden against winners in the $75,000 Kentucky Downs Juvenile Fillies at Kentucky Downs on Sept. 15.  She then finished fourth, beaten only a neck, in the Jessamine Stakes at Keeneland on Oct. 11.

“She should’ve won that last race,” Catalano said.  “I don’t know if that would be good enough to win here, but she ought to be coming in off two wins if the jock would’ve just kept her on the rail.”

Kent Desormeaux, who was aboard Oscar Party in each of her last two starts, has the call for Friday’s Juvenile Fillies Turf.  The 20-to-1 outsider will leave from post 7.

Sky Lantern – see European report

Spring Venture – A perfect three-for-three on the grass and a two-time graded stakes-winner around two turns, Spring Venture comes the Breeders’ Cup with a solid chance of giving her trainer his first win in the Breeders’ Cup.

“We’ve got a lot of really good young horses,” said trainer Mark Casse while discussing why 2012 is the most successful year for the four-time Sovereign Award winner, who is currently ranked fifth in North America in earnings and the number of graded stakes wins.

“It’s no different than a good college basketball or football team. When you’re successful, it builds more success. It’s easier to recruit, and the recruiting is everything.

“Of all the things I do, the number one thing is going out and finding the horses. Because it doesn’t matter if you’re Todd Pletcher or Bob Baffert, you’re only as good as your players. We’re fortunate that we have some wonderful owners now who have faith in us and are letting us go out and spend the money.”

Tara From the Cape – Trainer Todd Pletcher was in the winner’s circle after the 2010 Juvenile Fillies Turf with More Than Real, and he’s hoping history repeats itself with Tara From the Cape on Friday.

“She’s run well in both her grass races, and she’s doing well since she came out here,” said Pletcher, who shipped the filly from Keeneland to California rather than back to her home base in New York after a fourth-place finish in the Alcibiades.

“I thought she ran very well in the Alcibiades,” Pletcher said. “She wasn’t beaten far (four lengths by Spring in the Air). “After seeing that, I think she’s probably slightly better on the turf. She’s coming up to the race really well.”

The Gold Cheongsam – see European report

Waterway Run – see European report

Watsdachances – Michael Kisber and Bradley Thoroughbreds’ Irish-bred filly went to the track Thursday to gallop 1 1/2m.

The daughter of Diamond Green has won both of her starts for trainer Chad Brown since she was imported from Europe this year. Brown said she is a contender in the Juvenile Fillies Turf and has a bright future.

“I think she could develop into a real force in the 3-year-old filly turf division and beyond,” he said. “She has a wonderful scope and balance about her, the way she’s made. I wouldn’t be surprised if she could run as a far as a mile and a quarter if I wanted her to as she matures. We’re excited, not only about the Breeders’ Cup for her, but her whole career.”

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: