Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 02:39:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2 million Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Thursday Notes  (Read 138 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

Almost an Angel – Ice Wine Stable’s galloped 1 1/2m under exercise rider Lindsey Molina as she continued her preparations for Friday’s $2 million Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies.

“She could not be training any better,” Molina said. “She almost ripped my guts out this morning.”

Molina said that Almost an Angel and stablemate Sweet Shirley Mae (Juvenile Sprint) are scheduled for a paddock schooling session during this afternoon’s eight-race program at Santa Anita.

Trainer Wesley Ward is not on the scene as he is in Florida for the weekend when his son competes in the state high school cross country championships.

Beholder – The Juvenile Filly entrant stood in the training gate under exercise rider Janeen Painter Thursday morning before galloping 1 1/2m.

“She’s doing good,” trainer Richard Mandella said. “I know there is a lot of speed in the race, especially that Malibu Moon filly (Kauai Katie) of Todd Pletcher’s. But I think they’ll have to respect my filly’s speed and I’m hoping nobody will think it is worth their while to try to take her on. I’ve got (Garrett) Gomez riding and he’s a pro. You always like to turn it over to a pro. He’ll know what to do.”

Broken Spell – With two straight runner-up finishes, the daughter of Broken Vow is training hard toward making the outcome different in Friday’s Juvenile Fillies, according to trainer D. Wayne Lukas.

That training took the form of another 1 1/2m gallop over the main track Thursday morning, her last serious exercise before the Juvenile Fillies.

Dreaming of Julia/ Kauai Katie – The two Stonestreet Stable stars spent their first night at Santa Anita Wednesday and galloped over the main track Thursday morning with trainer Todd Pletcher supervising.

“Both galloped over the track extremely well this morning, showing no ill effects from the trip,” Pletcher said. “Basically they missed one day of training in New York. They jogged in the barn one day. The owners are blessed with a couple of very talented fillies. Just looking at the way the race set up, and the way both fillies were doing, we felt like it was the right thing to do to give them both the opportunity in this spot.”

The fillies have been separated to this point, with each was compiling a 3-for-3 record. The homebred Dreaming of Julia won the 1m Frizette in her last start and Kauai Katie took the 6f Matron.

“Dreaming of Julia is very straightforward, what I would consider the perfect blend of her sire and dam,” Pletcher said. “She’s by A.P. Indy out of a dam (Dream Rush) that was very good at sprints and middle distances, so she’s got a combination of speed and stamina. I would anticipate two turns would be even better for her.”

Kauai Katie is by Malibu Moon and a granddaughter of one of Pletcher’s favorite runners, More Than Ready. Stonestreet put up $490,000 to purchase Kauai Katie in March.

“We kind of liked the way she rated last time,” Pletcher said. “That’s always a good sign with these young horses. This is going to be a tough race. We knew that coming in.”

Executiveprivilege – The undefeated daughter of First Samurai galloped 1 3/8m Thursday morning at 8:15 under Dana Barnes as trainer Bob Baffert looked on.

The trainer downplayed some recent reports that Executiveprivilege was not training as well as she should have been coming up to this championship race.

“Her works have been good,” Baffert said. “I know some clocker said she didn’t work so well one time, but she’s doing fine. She’s fit. She’s plenty fit. I wouldn’t put her out there if she wasn’t and I didn’t think she could handle the load. Different horses train different ways. Not all of them run to the way they train. Not all of them train to the way they run. But she’s been training fine.”

Spring in the Air – Even though Spring in the Air has won a grade I race around two turns and at the same distance of the Juvenile Fillies, the Alcibiades winner has yet to compete on the dirt, which does not concern Mark Casse.

“We plotted this all out ahead of time. All of my horses were at Churchill Downs training on dirt for a month before they came here,” Casse said. “But you never know with young horses until they do it for the first time.”

A winner in two of her four starts, the daughter of Spring At Last has raced on Polytrack twice and was a strong second on the grass to Spring Venture, whom Casse will run in the Juvenile Fillies Turf.

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: