Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 01:06:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Wednesday Notes  (Read 140 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 31, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »

Almost an Angel – Ice Wine Stable’s Almost an Angel galloped between 1 1/4m and 1 1/2m under exercise rider Lindsey Molina in preparation for Friday’s $2 million Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies.

Almost an Angel will represent trainer Wesley Ward’s first starter in the $2 million Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies. Ward has saddled 12 previous Breeders’ Cup starters with his initial entrant, Unfinished Symph, finishing third in the 1994 Mile at Churchill Downs.

Molina said that Ward is in Florida this week and would not be here for the Championships.

Beholder – Following Tuesday’s breeze (3f in 39 3/5), the Henny Hughes filly was back to galloping Wednesday morning with former jockey David Neusch aboard.

“She’s coming along fine,” trainer Richard Mandella said. “She’s where I’d like her to be.”

Beholder will be making her first attempt at two turns in the Juvenile Fillies. Mandellla chose that race for her rather than the Juvenile Sprint in which she would have had to face colts.

Broken Spell – After watching his Juvenile Fillies prospect travel over Santa Anita’s main track, Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas said of the daughter of Broken Vow, “I feel like she’ll handle the dirt just fine. She certainly seems to get over this track in great shape.”

Though the filly has had most of her success on turf and synthetic surfaces, Lukas believes her form off a first and two seconds in her last three races, all at the Juvenile Fillies distance of 1 1/16m, should set her up for the race.

Dreaming of Julia/ Kauai Katie – The Stonestreet Stable duo arrived after at noon on a flight from New York for trainer Todd Pletcher in preparation for their Friday assignment in the Juvenile Fillies at Santa Anita.

Both come into the race with perfect 3-for-3 records and each will be trying two turns for the first time.

“Obviously we’re very excited about Kauai Katie,” assistant trainer Mike McCarthy said. “She’s  proven to be as good as anybody else in her generation. We’re going into a bit of uncharted territory with the mile and a sixteenth, but  if I had to lead one over it’d be one like her – plenty of speed, plenty of class.”

Dreaming of Julia has been only slightly less impressive, winning her first two starts by a combined  26 ¾ lengths before escaping with a head victory in the Frizette at Belmont.

“You’re dealing with a championship situation with either one,” McCarthy said. I’m sure if we’re lucky to win with one of them, the owners will be thrilled.” 

Executiveprivilege – The multiple stakes-winner from the Bob Baffert barn was a strong galloper Wednesday morning, moving well in the center of the track under exercise rider Dana Barnes.

In winning Santa Anita’s Chandelier Stakes Sept. 29 at the same 1 1/16m distance of the Juvenile Fillies, Executiveprivilege went wire to wire. But in Friday’s race, the filly will be facing several serious speed horses among the seven rivals she’ll be taking on.

“I’m not going to worry about a pace thing,” Baffert said. “‘Raffi’ (jockey Rafael Bejarano) knows her well and he’s a good judge of pace. He’ll take care of business.”

Spring in the Air – The bay daughter of Spring At Last was out on the track Wednesday morning before going to the gate and visiting the paddock.

“So far, so good,” said trainer Mark Casse, who added that the grade I winner continues to do everything right as she heads into the Juvenile Fillies and is a delight to work with.

Spring in the Air is owned by John Oxley, who also will run the Casse-trained Dynamic Sky in the Juvenile. She was bred by WinStar Farms Canadian division and purchased this past March out of the Ocala Breeders’ Sale of two-year-olds in training.

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: