Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 01, 2014, 09:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wednesday European Report  (Read 133 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »

While the horses from Aidan O’Brien’s Ballydoyle Stables remain in quarantine until they are able to make their first appearance on the track Thursday, the trainer was at the barn on Wednesday morning and spent some time with members of the international media discussing some of his Breeders’ Cup hopefuls:

Of St Nicholas Abbey (defending champion in the Breeders’ Cup Turf), O’Brien had this to say, “I think it is safe to say you can put a line through his last run in the Arc. (Jockey) Joseph (O’Brien) knew after a furlong or so that the horse was in trouble on that ground, and did his best to look after the horse as well as he could. Hopefully it will be a different story on quicker ground here.”

Fame and Glory (Marathon), “He’s been a great horse and a great servant to the yard – he owes us nothing. This is a bit of an experiment, I suppose. He stays well, and it’s really a question of whether, being a Montjeu, he handles the surface or not. As he’s gotten older he’s maybe just started to keep a little for himself; started to think a little, so we might try things a little differently. We’ll put a pair of blinkers on him. Jamie (Spencer) might just try and jump him out and let him roll along and we’ll see how he goes from there.”

Excelebration (Mile), “As he’s got older he appears to have got stronger and faster. When he won at Ascot, the ground was obviously a lot softer than he’ll meet on Saturday, but hopefully he’ll handle that OK. It was always the plan to come on to the Breeders’ Cup after Ascot, and I suppose there is always the chance that two group 1 races in two weeks is asking too much of the horse, but he seems in very good form.”

George Vancouver and Lines of Battle (Juvenile Turf), “In terms of their work at home, there’s not much between the two, and Lines of Battle might just shade George Vancouver. But Ryan (Moore) picked George Vancouver as he felt that the step up to a mile, and the track here, would suit him. He’s a ‘Henry’ (sired by Henrythenavigator) and he loved the fast ground and didn’t act on the soft, and I think George Vancouver is the same. I have a lot of ‘Henrys’ at home who haven’t had their ground this season as we’ve had such a wet year back in Ireland.”

Despite the poor visibility trackside this morning Dermot Weld’s Sense of Purpose (Marathon) was the first European to take to the track with regular jockey Pat Smullen on board. The son of Galileo went a couple of circuits of the track before returning to the barn.

Ralph Beckett was on hand to supervise the morning work of his Juvenile Fillies Turf challenger Waterway Run, who did some gentle exercise on the dirt track.

“I’m happy enough with my filly, happier today than I was yesterday when I thought she might still be a little tired after the flight over, but she wasn’t tired this morning,” Beckett said. “Everything’s going OK. She didn’t draw that well (in post 10 of 14), but she’s got Frankie (Dettori) on board, and I’ll leave him to overcome that.”

Rafael Bejarano was given the leg up on Tom Dascombe’s Ceiling Kitty (Juvenile Sprint), who once again took a while to get used to the strange surroundings. She was put into the gate and gave the impression that she was not happy at all by planting herself firmly on the Santa Anita dirt. She then went for a circuit of the track, but never really settled.

I’m A Dreamer (Filly & Mare Turf) went a nice steady canter for a circuit in the hands of English jockey Laura Pike. The daughter of Noverre will be hoping she can make it two wins in a year in America having already won the Beverly D. at Arlington Park

The focus for the Europeans then moved to the turf track where Jeremy Noseda and John Gosden were on hand to witness their Breeders’ Cup hopefuls stretch their legs.  The Fugue (Filly & Mare Turf), who will be bidding to give Gosden his fifth Breeders’ Cup victory. did a steady canter for a circuit. William Buick who was on board was happy enough with his filly.

“She’s very well and I’m happy with her,” Buick said. “She’s an athletic type, but she’s intelligent too – she handled the track and the turns fine and changed her leads too. That’s all we asked of her.”

Noseda’s duo of The Gold Cheongsam (Juvenile Fillies Turf) and Fantastic Moon (Juvenile Turf) also stretched their legs with Fantastic Moon doing a slightly stronger canter than his stable companion. Joining those four on the turf was the Roger Charlton-trained Dundonnell (Juvenile Turf).

Dundonnell was once again ridden by James Doyle, walking a circuit of the track with his pony before going around again in a canter.

Having left the track, all the horses went through the tunnel and did a few laps of the walking ring before returning to the barn.

The French were the next to come out on to the track with Moonlight Cloud (Mile) at the head of the group. She had a gentle walk of the main track before going a couple of circuits at a gentle canter.

Freddy Head, who flew to California Tuesday night, was trackside to watch his Prix du Moulin winner.

Afterward he was asked to compare Moonlight Cloud with his three-time Breeders’ Cup Mile-winning mare Goldikova.

“You can’t compare them, as there will only ever be one Goldikova. But Moonlight Cloud is very good in her own right. As she has gotten older, she maybe has lost a little bit of her speed, but at the same time her stamina has improved, so she is now effective over further (ground).”

Shareta (Turf), trained at Chantilly by Alain de Royer-Dupre, did the strongest piece of work of the French horses. Having warmed up with a gentle jog and a canter for two circuits, the daughter of Sinndar was then asked to move up a gear and did a much stronger canter for almost three-quarters of a lap.

The remainder of the French, Mikel Dezangles’ Ridasiyna (Filly & Mare Turf) and Flotilla (Juvenile Fillies Turf) stretched their legs with a gentle canter.

Roger Varian’s Nahrain (Filly & Mare Turf),  runner-up to Perfect Shirl in last year’s Filly & Mare Turf, saw the Santa Anita track for the first time and did nothing more than walk a circuit of the course

Sky Lantern (Juvenile Fillies Turf) did a more solid canter than yesterday and went a circuit and a half of the track under the surveillance of Richard Hannon Jr.

Godolphin’s Artigiano (Juvenile Turf) once again followed the same pattern as the past couple of mornings by first going out on to the training track before coming back and having a stretch on the dirt.

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: