Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 10:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Tuesday  (Read 176 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 30, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »

Almost an Angel – Ice Wine Stable’s Almost an Angel galloped a little more than 1 1/4m Tuesday morning under exercise rider Lindsey Molina.

Trained by Wesley Ward, Almost an Angel was pre-entered in the Juvenile Sprint as well as the $2 million Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies with Ward opting for the latter race.

“They (Almost an Angel and Sweet Shirley Mae) are owned by the same people and they wanted to split them up,” said Ward, whose Sweet Shirley Mae is entered in the Juvenile Sprint. “Almost an Angel has been running long and the other one has been sprinting.”

Joel Rosario, who rode Almost an Angel to a maiden victory at Belmont Park, has the call Friday and will exit post position 6.

Beholder – The juvenile daughter of Henny Hughes stretched her legs in an easy blowout for trainer Richard Mandella Tuesday morning, covering 3f in an easy 39 1/5. She put in her exercise between the quarter-pole and the seven-eighths under exercise rider David Neusch.

“It wasn’t really a work, it was a cruise,” Mandella said. “It was just a little something to let her let her frustrations out and get her a bit more comfortable. I wanted her going around that second turn, too, like she’ll have to do Friday.”

Beholder, who has drawn post 1 in an eight-horse field for the Juvenile Fillies, will be trying two turns for the first time in the 1 1/16m race.

“I cross entered her (in the Juvenile Sprint), but I had this race (Juvenile Fillies) in mind all along,” the conditioner said. “When we came up here after Del Mar and her race in the Del Mar Debutante (where she was beaten a nose going 7f by Executiveprivilege), she was all cranked up. I wanted to get her to settle down, but I wasn’t sure she would.

“But she’s come around, and nicely so.  I talked it over with Mr. Hughes (Spendthrift Farm owner B. Wayne Hughes) and we decided to go for the two-turn race. I think she’ll handle it. The money is better ($2 million as opposed to $500,000) and there are championship implications if you win the Juvenile Fillies.”

Broken Spell – Though a winner of only one race in six starts, the 2yo daughter of Broken Vow is riding a streak of two runner-up finishes since her maiden victory.

Despite not having her in a dirt race since July 1, trainer D. Wayne Lukas says, “She runs equally as well on the dirt as she does on grass or Polytrack. I always train her on the dirt.”

The filly galloped 1 1/2m on Santa Anita’s main track Tuesday.

Dreaming of Julia/Kauai Katie – Scheduled to arrive Wednesday morning on a Tex Sutton flight from New York.

Executiveprivilege – The Juvenile Fillies 2-1 morning line favorite galloped at Santa Anita Tuesday morning.

“She’s just very professional,” trainer Bob Baffert said. “She knows where the wire is and she gets it done. Distance is not a problem with her. She’ll handle it. She’s just a good horse.”

Bob Baffert has twice previously won the Juvenile Fillies (Silverbulletday in 1998 and Indian Blessing in 2007).

Spring in the Air – Although she shares the same sire and part of her moniker with stablemate Spring Venture, who will run in the Juvenile Fillies Turf also on Friday, Spring in the Air doesn’t have a pet name around the barn.

“Spring in the Air and Spring Venture, even I get the two confused,” trainer Mark Casse said with a laugh. “She’s the bay and the other is chestnut, but actually, Spring Venture is so mean and such a handful that we all know which one she is. They couldn’t be more opposite. Spring in the Air is really sweet and nice to be around.”

She’s also attracting quite a following of photographers since arriving at Santa Anita. Spring in the Air likes to prance and dance while going out to, and coming back from, the track, and her moves remind everyone of 2009 Classic winner Zenyatta.

“Sometimes she’ll do it in the paddock and in the post parade,” Casse said. “Patrick (Husbands, her jockey, who also rides Spring Venture) even calls her his Little Zenyatta.”

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: