Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 11:59:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2 million Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile - Tuesday notes  (Read 135 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 30, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »

Capo Bastone/Monument – Capo Bastone went to the track at 6:30 Tuesday morning for 1m jog and "did very well," trainer John Sadler said. Owned by Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners, Capo Bastone worked 6f on Saturday in 1:11 3/5, second-best of 17 works at the distance on the day.

Capo Bastone, will break from the 7 post in the field of eight. Joel Rosario will be aboard for the first time as Capo Bastone is aiming for a second win in his fourth career start.

Monument was put through a 1m jog in his first day back at the track following a Sunday workout and "looked good," Sadler said. Three weeks removed from a victory in the California Cup Juvenile that was his third in four career starts, Monument worked 6f on Sunday in 1:13 1/5, fourth-fastest of 21 at the distance. Owned by C R K Stable, Monument will break from the post 5 under Joe Talamo, who will be aboard for the first time.

Dynamic Sky – Dynamic Sky, one of two horses owned by John Oxley and five trained by Mark Casse who are contesting this year’s World Championships, had an easy gallop over the track on Tuesday morning.

He prepped for the Juvenile with a final 5f breeze in 1:02 1/5 in company at Churchill Downs on Friday and earned his spot in the starting gate with an impressive runner-up finish in the Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland.

Afterward, Casse said that he thought the son of Sky Mesa, who lugged in coming out of the turn and lost momentum for a time, was the best horse in that race “without question.”

Casse also trains the highly regarded juvenile Uncaptured, who was undefeated in four starts before turning in a dull effort in the Grey Stakes at Woodbine but then redeemed himself with a win in last Sunday’s Iroquois Stakes at Churchill Downs

When asked on Tuesday if he wishes he had entered Uncaptured in the Juvenile instead of running him in the Iroquois, he replied, “Maybe I’m a little sorry that he’s not here. But things can happen for a reason and I expect Dynamic Sky to run well on Saturday.”

Throughout the week, Casse is being assisted by his son Norman, who is a newlywed. Norman and the former Melanie Giddings, who works many of the Casse charges in the mornings, were married at Saratoga on Aug. 28.

Fortify – Godolphin Racing’s Fortify galloped 1m before visiting the Santa Anita starting gate Tuesday morning. The Kiaran McLaughlin-trained colt will attempt to turn the tables on morning-line favorite Shanghai Bobby in the Juvenile.

Fortify was victorious by more than five lengths in his debut at Saratoga in August before finishing second and third, respectively, behind Shanghai Bobby in the Hopeful at Saratoga and the Champagne at Belmont Park.

“He’s doing really well. He’s going to be hard-pressed to reverse the form of Shanghai Bobby, but the change in equipment may be to our benefit. We’re not off Lasix and everybody else is. Two turns, a mile and a sixteenth, hopefully is to our advantage. We feel like it will be,” McLaughlin said.

He's Had Enough – The gray/roan son of Tapit galloped 1 1/4 m at Santa Anita with exercise rider Jonny Garcia Tuesday.

"Even though he broke his maiden at Del Mar, He's Had Enough is definitely a dirt horse," said trainer Doug O'Neill. "He's a smooth-moving horse, real steady, and had an exceptional work here last week.

"If anything, he's more advanced at this stage than I'll Have Another, who was not stretched to two turns until his 3-year-old year."

Shanghai Bobby – The probable favorite for Saturday’s Juvenile was still in New York amid the turmoil of Hurricane Sandy awaiting a Wednesday flight from upstate Newburgh that would bring him to Santa Anita with trainer Todd Pletcher.

“I’m not really concerned,” said part-owner Jack Wolf of Starlight Racing, who was visiting relatives in Oakland on Tuesday and planning to return to Santa Anita on Wednesday. “I think Todd really would actually prefer to get the horse to the track on Wednesday to prepare for a Saturday race. It’s not a big deal, no bigger deal than shipping across the country.”

The undefeated son of Harlan’s Holiday, Wolf’s first big star, will be going for his fifth consecutive victory in his first start at two turns. Under jockey Rosie Napravnik, Shanghai Bobby won the Champagne at Belmont Park by five lengths in his last start.

“I don’t think the two turns will be a problem,” said Wolf, a Kentucky native who formed Starlight Racing with former Murray State college football teammate Bob Burton and upstate New Yorker Don Lucarelli. This colt, a $105,000 purchase at Keeneland’s September Sale of 2011, is named for Burton, a pilot who frequently flew to the Orient.

Shanghai Bobby breaks from post 4 in a field of nine.

Speak Logistics – Speak Logistics, winner of the $300,000 In Reality Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes in his last start, galloped on the main track at Santa Anita Tuesday morning, three days after arriving in California and four days in advance of a start in the Juvenile.

“The trip was good; the only problem was the temperature change,” Frankie Perez, assistant to trainer Eddie Plesa Jr. said. “We had to go to Louisville from Calder and stay overnight before flying out, and when we left Calder it was 80 degrees and when we got to Louisville it was 40. But that was more a problem for me. I think the colt liked it.”

According to Perez, the son of High Cotton has taken well to the Santa Anita main track, leaving the longtime assistant optimistic about the colt’s chances on Saturday.

“We took him out the last two days right after the track reopens and he really seems to like it here,” Perez said. “We know he’s a good horse, he showed us that in his last race. On Saturday we’ll get to see just how good he is.”

Perez also reported that Plesa is scheduled to arrive in California on Wednesday.

#####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: