Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 21, 2014, 08:27:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint Tuesday Notes  (Read 315 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »

Belle of the Hall – Scheduled to arrive Wednesday morning on a Tex Sutton flight from New York.

Dust and Diamonds – Padua Stable’s Gallant Bloom winner was one of five horses that walked the shedrow of trainer Steve Asmussen’s barn Tuesday morning following half-mile works Monday.

“They’re all in fabulous shape after yesterday,” Asmussen said. “I love how they’re all doing. They’ve all come back good. Now, they better all run as well as they’ve been training.”

Great Hot – Trainer A.C. Avila commented “that's fine” when the 4yo daughter of Orientate drew post 7 at Monday's post position draw. “She won't be on the lead, but she will be in the first or second flight, right behind the leaders, I hope.”

Great Hot finished 11th in last year’s $1 million Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint at Churchill Downs.

“She's better for this race this year than she was last year,” Avila said. “She looks good, she's feeling good. We'll just jog and gallop up to the race and keep her batteries charged up.”

The runner-up to fellow Filly & Mare Sprint entrant Rumor in the L.A. Woman at Santa Anita on Oct. 7, Great Hot galloped 1 1/2m  under exercise rider Omar Berrio Tuesday morning.

Groupie Doll – The even-money morning line favorite for Saturday’s Filly & Mare Sprint walked the shedrow at Barn 36 a day after working a bullet 3f  in 34 2/5 at Santa Anita.

“She’s very good this morning,” said Maria Kabel, assistant to trainer and co-owner Buff Bradley. “I brought her out yesterday afternoon and she was on her toes. She ate up everything last night and is doing fine.”

Owned in partnership by Bradley’s father Fred, Brent Burns and Carl Hurst, Groupie Doll is scheduled to return to the track Wednesday morning around 7:45.

Buff Bradley is in Kentucky and scheduled to be at Santa Anita on Thursday.

Musical Romance – Musical Romance, the 2011 Eclipse Award-winning champion female sprinter had a light gallop over the Santa Anita main track Tuesday morning as she continues preparations for her title defense in the Filly & Mare Sprint on Saturday.

“She’s been going out to the track daily and she seems to like it here,” Freddie Guzman, assistant to trainer Bill Kaplan, said Tuesday morning.  “But she runs on turf, dirt, synthetic, anything, so we had no reason to think she wouldn’t like it here.”

The daughter of Concorde’s Tune arrived at Santa Anita on Saturday after an uneventful two-day trek that began with a van ride from her home base at Calder on Thursday.

“It was a long trip, but everything went very smooth,” Guzman said.

“We had to go from Florida to Kentucky to catch our flight, and I’m just glad we left when we did,” Guzman added, noting the travel disruptions plaguing much of the country as a result of Hurricane Sandy. “And (trainer) Bill (Kaplan) had no trouble getting out and he’ll be here later today.”

Scheduled to pass through the sales ring as hip 118 at the Fasig-Tipton November Sale, the Filly & Mare Sprint will be the 41st and final start of Musical Romance’s career, giving added significance to the race for those involved with the mare.

“It’s such a big race, not only because she won it last year, but because this is most likely her last race,” Guzman said. “I mean, you never know what will happen, maybe she doesn’t go for the right price at the sale and comes back to us, but we’re preparing for this to be her last start. And after all she’s done for us, we want her to go out with a big race.”

Musical Romance drew post 8 for the Filly & Mare Sprint at Monday’s post position draw.

“At one point, there were only a few spots left and the rail was one of them,” Guzman said. “I was starting to get worried, but then they called the one and it wasn’t us and we were last out of the box and eight is fine with me.”

Switch – The 5yo daughter of Quiet American went to the track Tuesday morning for a 1m gallop which trainer John Sadler termed "very good."

Following Monday’s post position draw, Sadler was quite pleased with the 10 for Switch, for a variety of reasons.

“We were hoping for something toward the outside because there's a lot of speed in that race and at seven-eighths she runs from off the pace," Sadler said.

The last three stakes victories for Switch have come at the 7f distance, among them the La Brea and Santa Monica at Santa Anita, albeit in December of 2010 and January of 2011.

Owned by C R K Stable, Switch will be competing in the Filly & Mare Sprint for the third year in a row. She was the runner-up to Dubai Majesty in 2010 and to Musical Romance in 2011 at Churchill Downs.

Teddy's Promise – The 4yo filly walked the shedrow at Betfair Hollywood Park Tuesday after working 4f in 48.80 Monday.

“That's a bad post for her,” trainer Ron Ellis said after Teddy's Promise drew the rail in a field of 10 in the 7f race. “She's gotten unlucky in her last four races drawing inside.”

Turbulent Descent – Scheduled to arrive Wednesday morning on a Tex Sutton flight from New York.

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: