Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 01:47:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $1.5 million Xpressbet Breeders' Cup Sprint - Tuesday notes  (Read 127 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 30, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »

Amazombie –  The defending champion in the $1.5 million Xpressbet Breeders' Cup Sprint jogged 6f and galloped 1 1/2m, Tuesday morning under exercise rider Javier Meza. It was the same exercise routine as Monday and is likely to be repeated Wednesday, trainer Bill Spawr said, before a more serious workout, a breeze, on Thursday.

"Javier said he was pulling a little more today than yesterday, but he was pulling in the right spot, down toward the wire," Spawr said. "That's where the pot of gold is."

Spawr said that the training regimen for the 6yo Northern Afleet gelding he co-owns with Thomas C. Sanford was the same as for last year's Breeders' Cup Sprint victory at Churchill Downs and for the Bing Crosby in July at Del Mar, most recent of Amazombie's 12 career wins.

Spawr said he varied the routine leading up to the Santa Anita Sprint Championship on Oct. 6 and a fourth-place finish behind fellow Sprint entrants Coil, Capital Account and Jimmy Creed.

"I did a little more with him than I probably should have and it didn't work out," Spawr said. "So we're going back to doing things the old way that works. He may have needed that race anyway, and he got a great draw (No. 11), so we'll see."

Boxeur des Rues – The 4yo colt galloped 1 1/4m at Santa Anita Tuesday with exercise rider Norberto Vasquez.

Trainer Doug O'Neill said that drawing the outside post, 14, would not hurt the horse.

"Post 14 is OK," said O'Neill. "He's the last to load and he'll just make one big run. If they go crazy up front, he'll be picking them up late at a big price."   

Capital Account/Coil/Fast Bullet –  Trainer Bob Baffert’s trio of Sprint horses jogged 1m at Santa Anita Tuesday morning as they picked up their training routine following final major works two days earlier.

Capital Account and Coil both jogged at the same time as Game On Dude (Classic) was out on the Santa Anita main track shortly after 8 a.m. Fast Bullet followed out in the next set.

Baffert, who’ll become the first trainer to saddle three starters in the Sprint, had thoughts on all three of his runners.

“Fast Bullet, he’s just a fast horse,” he noted. “Coil and Capital Account, they’re warriors. Those two, though, they need some luck. The way they run (from off the pace), they need some help. They need some pace and they need a clean trip. There isn’t much that separates them, I’ll tell you. They’re close (the trainer put the thumb and forefinger of his right hand about two inches apart).  They’re tough and they’ll be there at the end.”

Baffert, who won his first Breeders’ Cup race when he captured the 1992 Sprint with Thirty Slews (and subsequently won the same race twice with Midnight Lute in 2007-08), isn’t inclined to say that he favors one horse over another among his speed trio.  But he might have tipped his hand just a bit when he finished his Sprint talk with a declarative statement: “I’ll tell you, though, that Capital Account – he’s all racehorse.”

Hamazing Destiny – The ever-optimistic D. Wayne Lukas said of his veteran sprinter Tuesday morning, “He’s training better than ever. I’m looking for a big effort.

“This will be his third run in the Sprint.” Hamazing Destiny was second in 2010 and fifth in 2011, earning a check each time. In his most recent start, the 6yo son of Salt Lake was second in Saratoga’s Forego Stakes Sept. 1.

The Hall of Fame trainer said of the time between races, “Over time, I’ve learned that he likes spacing between his races, so I don’t crowd him.”

Hamazing Destiny galloped 1m over the main track Tuesday and that will be his routine for the rest of the week, Lukas said.

Jimmy Creed – The 3yo colt by Distorted Humor galloped and visited the paddock Tuesday morning as he heads toward his date in Saturday’s Sprint, where he has drawn post 2 in the 14-horse lineup.

Trainer Richard Mandella oversaw his horse’s activity.

“I might give him a light blowout tomorrow morning,” he said. “Nothing serious. Just something to keep him loose.”

Justin Phillip – Zayat Stable’s Sprint contender was one of five horses that walked the shedrow of trainer Steve Asmussen’s barn Tuesday morning following 4f works Monday.

“They’re all in fabulous shape after yesterday,” said Asmussen. “I love how they’re all doing. They’ve all come back good. Now, they better all run as well as they’ve been training.”

Smiling Tiger – The millionaire son of Hold That Tiger jogged 1m Tuesday as he continued to prepare for Saturday’s Sprint.

The 5yo has been in Southern California all summer, either at Santa Anita or Del Mar, trainer Jeff Bonde said, so he’s quite acquainted with Santa Anita’s main track. But in that respect, Bonde said, a racing surface never has been a problem for Smiling Tiger.

“He’ll run on just about anything,” the trainer said from his Northern California base. He plans to head south to Santa Anita on Wednesday.

In the meantime, Smiling Tiger will gallop and stand in the gate Wednesday morning.

The Lumber Guy – Trainer Mike Hushion said the New York-bred colt shipped well from the East Coast on Monday had some light exercise on Tuesday morning Santa Anita Park.

“He just galloped the wrong way, had a look around at the track and loosened up a little bit,” Hushion said. “He had a long trip here, but he seemed to have his juices back.”

The Lumber Guy was part of a contingent of 17 Breeders’ Cup horses that was shipped about two hours north from Belmont Park to an airport in Newburgh, N.Y. Sunday night to catch a flight before Hurricane Sandy reached the Northeast.

“I’m just glad we got the horse out here in one piece and got out of there,” Hushion said. “Tex Sutton called a good audible getting us out of Newburgh at 1 a.m. Sunday night.”

Hushion said he feared that the Vosburgh winner might get stuck in New York until after the storm passed.

“I was thinking that maybe it was going to be Wednesday and that things would be so messy on Wednesday that it might not work,” he said. “But I guess in the end they would have worked around us here.”

The Lumber Guy has won four of six lifetime starts for owner-breeder Barry K. Schwartz.

#####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: