Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 12:31:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Hawthorne  (Read 1079 times)
orioles

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »

8 Races???
Report to moderator   Logged
Chris Szulc

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »

8 Races???

The result of going 5 days a week. Have you seen field size recently too? Yikes.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »

How many horses have left the grounds due to the EVH-1 outbreak?

If your horse was close to done for the year anyway, you might have just turned him out early, to be safe.

It's possible that we will see these sorts of cards with short fields and less races for the rest of the fall meeting. It's unfortunate, but if some owners pulled their horses off of the Hawthorne backside, I understand completely.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »

The result of going 5 days a week. Have you seen field size recently too? Yikes.

When do they switch back to a 4 day schedule?
Chris Szulc

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »

When do they switch back to a 4 day schedule?

They are 5 days a week for the entire Fall meet. Unsure if that will last though.

HV is right, the EHV-1 not only takes a barn-full of horses out of the racing population but also there are no shippers.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »

Probably not a ton of horses have shipped out, mostly because you can't (at least not to most alternative racing sites).  However, nobody will want to ship in, and Barn A is in lock-down, so the racing population is pretty limited.  Saturday is a decent card--the two IL-bred stakes have a bunch of solid local horses.
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:36 PM »

hopefully people can and will start shipping horses back in soon, hoosier is almost over and a fair amount of horses from there should be coming here. on the flip side people will start shipping to the fairgrounds and tampa within a month
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »

Marcus tweeted that on track handle yesterday (Thursday) was 37K. I'd rather have fewer days with bigger fields and hopefully higher handle.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »

Marcus tweeted that on track handle yesterday (Thursday) was 37K. I'd rather have fewer days with bigger fields and hopefully higher handle.

Might be a moot point pretty soon...more cases of EHV-1 detected:

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-additional-horses-test-positive-herpesvirus
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »

I feel bad for Hawthorne. I think even if this wasn't an issue, 5 days is a stretch.  But those poor guys  can't catch a break.
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

I love Hawthorne, but I cant win for the life of me.  Plenty of prices, but I think I'd be better off without a program and just picking numbers.  Not sure if its my lack of skill handicapping or lack of talent on the track.  I try to bet local, but its getting ugly.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-additional-horses-test-positive-herpesvirus

Do they have any idea of a vector in this outbreak? Some horse that came from some other track or training center with an equines herpes outbreak?

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I might be looking for "arson" suspects loyal to some entity trying to put Hawthorne out of business. This could not have come at a worse juncture.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Stat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »

Why an outbreak at this track?  Is this illness been identified at any other track? Something is dead wrong here. Just Carey karma.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »

Why an outbreak at this track?  Is this illness been identified at any other track? Something is dead wrong here. Just Carey karma.

There was a big outbreak last summer, or maybe two ago, at various fair tracks in Utah and Nevada among quarterhorses. But I really haven't read about any in the midwest recently.

I think I read Kasperski was in barn A? Isn't he at Penn National normally? Who knows what might have been brought in with what shippers.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »

Do they have any idea of a vector in this outbreak? Some horse that came from some other track or training center with an equines herpes outbreak?

I defer to Marcus on this one, and from one of his earlier Tweets this afternoon, it seems like he is having a hard time getting information.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I might be looking for "arson" suspects loyal to some entity trying to put Hawthorne out of business. This could not have come at a worse juncture.

I'm trying very hard to not entertain such thoughts, because they are disgusting and virtually incomprehensible. Anyone who would intentionally inflict disease on innocent horses will surely rot in hell. 
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »

I'm sure Mr. D or CD will get the blame if this thread is like others on this forum.
zanzibar

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »

If y'all would just take a moment to do a search on EHV-1, you wouldn't need to come up with complicated conspiracy theories about its spread.  Kind of sad that so many folks with so many computer skills don't look for information that is so readily available.

http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=222

This article is concise and easy to read.  One interesting paragraph states:
Without a doubt, the biggest problem with EHV-1 is that once horses have been infected they can become latent carriers of the virus for the rest of their life. Although latently infected horses are no longer sick or shedding the virus, they carry the virus and can spontaneously begin shedding it during periods of stress. The intermittent shedding by carrier horses is thought to be the source of sporadic outbreaks of the disease, including closed herds where no new horses have been introduced. Elimination of EHV-1 from a herd is virtually impossible because of the presence of latently infected animals. However, a good strategy to reduce the incidence of EHV-1 is the combination of a good vaccination program in conjunction with the implementation of an effective preventive herd-management program.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »

If y'all would just take a moment to do a search on EHV-1, you wouldn't need to come up with complicated conspiracy theories about its spread.  Kind of sad that so many folks with so many computer skills don't look for information that is so readily available.

Kind of sad that so many Forum members (esp. noobs  bang head ) continue to read without fully comprehending what has been written.

There was no instant need to research how EHV-1 is transmitted: a possible conspiracy issue was raised ever-so-lightly, and immediately dismissed...and anyway, what you found doesn't really prove or disprove much.

The real point was: as much as we might delight in pointing fingers in the ongoing internecine battles between AP and Hawthorne, the idea that this EHV-1 outbreak could be the result of some sort of skullduggery is simply too horrible to contemplate. It didn't need to be examined further.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:14:03 AM »

hopefully people can and will start shipping horses back in soon, hoosier is almost over and a fair amount of horses from there should be coming here. on the flip side people will start shipping to the fairgrounds and tampa within a month

Based on recent events, it's not likely any horses are moving in or out in the near future.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:28:43 AM »

Kind of sad that so many Forum members (esp. noobs  bang head ) continue to read without fully comprehending what has been written.

There was no instant need to research how EHV-1 is transmitted: a possible conspiracy issue was raised ever-so-lightly, and immediately dismissed...and anyway, what you found doesn't really prove or disprove much.

The real point was: as much as we might delight in pointing fingers in the ongoing internecine battles between AP and Hawthorne, the idea that this EHV-1 outbreak could be the result of some sort of skullduggery is simply too horrible to contemplate. It didn't need to be examined further.

Anyone who took it at all seriously, even one light iota, wasn't thinking too hard.  Roll Eyes

joe bunzol

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »

This nothing to joke about. I feel terrible for all involved.
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »

I "heard" the infected horses might've come from New York.
Maybe the two DiVito horses that were put down??
That's what I was told, not sure it has merit.
alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 08:10:35 PM »

8 Races???
8 races scheduled for this Wednesday and Thursday too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: