Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 03, 2014, 02:44:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barn at Hawthorne isolated.  (Read 3396 times)
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »

The horses showed signs of euine herpes virus.   I was at Turfway in 2005  when they had to quarantine that track.  It is a very brutal and easily spread by contact.
Report to moderator   Logged
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »

Chris, if you say you have horses (only a few, hopefully) that respond negatively to the switch from AP to Haw, I believe you. (There are undoubtedly some horses that don't respond favorably to breathing in fibers and silica and other stuff from the Polytrack at AP, as well.)

Your statement is quite reasonable and measured as compared to that of "Purple Lavern", who apparently is SO overwhelmed with his list of "a lot of horses that get ill when they switch" that he can't even name ONE.

(And really...who expected anything else from this Purple guy, clearly a National Enquirer reporter wannabe?)

I am sorry this offended you & the office of Tourism of Stickney but this is what I was told by a top trainer.
I do have a few horses including a 2 yr old that was training at Arlington & got sick as soon as the move to Hawthorne.
the trainer told us this happens with many of her horses...

Personally enjoy Hawthorne (& dirt over poly)  & think they make an effort to the horse player much more then Arlington but can you really compare the 2 venues.
I think if you actually read the post, there was a question asking regarding the air quality not a conclusive statement.

Anyway If I were to write, it would be for TMZ
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »

I think if you actually read the post, there was a question asking regarding the air quality not a conclusive statement.

Yeah, I read the post. It was yellow journalism -- a cheap shot -- at best. TMZ wouldn't have you, if that's your best work.

(I can ask questions too, such as "Have you stopped beating your wife?", and later claim innocence...but the allegation is already out there. It's not clever at all.)

So, Mr. Innocent Question: who came up with the "black lung air" nonsense, you, or your "top trainer"?
Alan12378

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »

Officials have determined an outbreak of equine herpes has occurred at Hawthorne Race Course and a quarantine has been put in place, but racing will continue as scheduled.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/73618/hawthorne-puts-quarantine-in-place#ixzz29ZXYnKQj
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

I do have a few horses including a 2 yr old that was training at Arlington & got sick as soon as the move to Hawthorne.
the trainer told us this happens with many of her horses...

Horses get sick moving from any track to any track. It's just a result of change.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
laurajean

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »

I see that Florida and Louisiana are also banning Hawthorne horses due to the equine herpes.
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »

Confirmed that it is Equine Herpes per Marcus on Twitter, 2nd horse has passed today, but still confined to Barn A.
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »

Yeah, I read the post. It was yellow journalism -- a cheap shot -- at best. TMZ wouldn't have you, if that's your best work.

(I can ask questions too, such as "Have you stopped beating your wife?", and later claim innocence...but the allegation is already out there. It's not clever at all.)

So, Mr. Innocent Question: who came up with the "black lung air" nonsense, you, or your "top trainer"?

First of all Mr voice of the horse  (look who is hiding behind a name to begin with)

If you feel like you are the self appointed horse police, I have to chuckle..Maybe you are the Barney Fife of horseracing  (another cheap shot)

Yes, the black lung comment may be construed as a  cheap shot at the billowing smoke stacks of Stickney  (or do you say Cicero)..
but look at area!!!!!!!!
I hate to use the "d" word as it should be reserved for Wrigley field, but the place & most of the facilities are outdated..IE DUMP

This is a forum , where people can voice their opinions, it has nothing to do with journalistic integrity doh....
I am not a journalist, just a horse racing fan, owner, gambler for my entire life & can voice my opinion.

I am not going to give up my trainer that is not important....It is her opinion & trust her 20% win opinion.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »

I am not going to give up my trainer that is not important....It is her opinion & trust her 20% win opinion.

So it is your trainer's studied opinion that this equine herpes is just floating around in the air in Stickney/Cicero? And if so, why does this seem to be limited to just one barn?

PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »

This will be my last response....I will speak slowly for Terry

I have no idea what my trainers studies opinion is regarding herpes.

Nowhere do I mention herpes, transmitted diseases, or unknown viruses..
My statement was simply that I have been told that many horse become ill when transferring from Arlington to Hawthorne...

I was more just asking does this happen in most racing jurisdictions....

If you want to twist my posting to somehow my trainer says herpes is flying around Hawthorne be my guest Terry.

There have been many postings by people I respect on this forum  (esp. Chartwell) speaking to the air quality at Hawthorne....as compared to Arlington.

Ask Jozbin Santana about the air quality at Hawthorne.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »

This will be my last response....I will speak slowly for Terry

I have no idea what my trainers studies opinion is regarding herpes.

Nowhere do I mention herpes, transmitted diseases, or unknown viruses..
My statement was simply that I have been told that many horse become ill when transferring from Arlington to Hawthorne...

Actually, what you wrote was:

Pretty disturbing & sad story..

I know a lot of horses that get ill when they switch from Arlington to Stickney...& the black lung air

Does this have to do with the location or just a random situation that could happen at any track?

So, this particular story (the mysterious illness that's specifically under discussion here) is a sad and disturbing story and could it be tied to the black lung air of Stickney.

You see there, YOU were the one who tied this specific issue to the air of Stickney, after others had already speculated on herpes, and after Marcus had filed a story detailing the symptoms as markedly similar to those of herpes.

The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

I dont see anything to indicate that he tied the undeniably bad air in Stickney with the cause of this illness - just that horses do get sick when shipped into the situation that Hawthorne is in
fireball

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 12:39:11 PM »

I make sure all my horses have a vaccine for equine herpes, but I am not a vet so I don't know if a horse can get herpes if they have been vaccinated, but I figure if they are vaccinated they should not be at risk.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »

I dont see anything to indicate that he tied the undeniably bad air in Stickney with the cause of this illness - just that horses do get sick when shipped into the situation that Hawthorne is in

The sentences were a logical progression from "this sad situation" to the specific of the Hawthorne air.

ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 02:55:26 PM »

Horses get sick at farms, sales, training centers, and every race track in the country.  In recent memory, Churchill, Turfway, and the polo horses at Wellington were all quarantined by herpes virus.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »

The sentences were a logical progression from "this sad situation" to the specific of the Hawthorne air.

Thats a heck of a leap imo.  Had he wanted to write what you think he meant, he would have written it.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »

All  BTW Posters , Lets remember what this is all about , some of you own horses some of you dont , but the main thing is We should ALL be thinking of how we can HELP . It's The owners the trainers and backside workers that care for these horses more than any of us , Call your trainer and Ask if you can help, Also Hawthorne could use some support thru this time with daily entries to keep things going. Please!!!
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »

Ask Jozbin Santana about the air quality at Hawthorne.

Uh huh. It bothered him SO much that he won the Spring 2011 Hawthorne jockey title (in a tie with Tanner Riggs).

Oh yeah, when his business fell way off during the Fall 2011, THEN the air at Hawthorne was a "big problem".

So what did he do in the spring of that year, when he was winning all those races  -- hold his breath for 2 months straight?

screwy

I guess if you dislike Hawthorne and it's humble surroundings, you'll believe any ol' crappola about the place. "Black Lung Air", WAFI. Your new forum name is "Black Lung Air Lavern".

faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »

Regarding the questions/comments about health problems with horses shipping to Hawthorne, and cheap shots aside, shipping any horse anywhere causes stress, which can leave them vulnerable to disease.  Also, as has been discussed already, the big enclosed barns generally have poor air quality and are a good environment for spreading airborne viruses or bacteria.  I don't have any idea whether the local air quality is really all that much worse than that of the Chicago area in general (which is not great).
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »

Uh huh. It bothered him SO much that he won the Spring 2011 Hawthorne jockey title (in a tie with Tanner Riggs).

Oh yeah, when his business fell way off during the Fall 2011, THEN the air at Hawthorne was a "big problem".

So what did he do in the spring of that year, when he was winning all those races  -- hold his breath for 2 months straight?

screwy

I guess if you dislike Hawthorne and it's humble surroundings, you'll believe any ol' crappola about the place. "Black Lung Air", WAFI. Your new forum name is "Black Lung Air Lavern".

You do know that JZ left Hawthorne because of the allergic reactions he was having to the air...

It seems like billowing smoke stacks have attacked your nervous system..you may want to go get tested

Since we are giving out new forum names..I am thinking..
MR LOGICAL PROGRESSION HORSE VOICE WHO KNOWS ALL  bowing bowing

laurajean

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-equine-herpesvirus-diagnosed-sick-horses-racing-continues

Here is the latest from Marcus. Thank you for keeping us posted on the situation.
Fast n Firm

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »

Thank you DaPaver.....
Our concerns need to be focused on a virus that has infultrated a barn at Hawthorne.  2 horses have died because of this virus...2 too many.  Hawthorne has been in operation for over 100 years.  Anyone that would even think of connecting this to Hawthorne is ridiculous.  Please put your petty nonsense aside for once and address the real problem which is the health of our horses and our business.  The ramifications of this can be devastating to the Hawthorne meet , the horses, owners, trainers etc.....Let's all put our concerns toward the REAL problem.  
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:08 PM »

There's not a lot to be done at this point.  Hawthorne management seems to be taking all the right precautions by isolating the affected barn.  The only additional thing I can think of that individual owners or trainers could do is, for any horses outside Barn A that have not had an equine herpes (rhino) booster shot within the past few months, get one.  Not only can it reduce the likelihood and/or severity of the disease, it also may help limit the spread of the disease.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »

Thats a heck of a leap imo.  Had he wanted to write what you think he meant, he would have written it.

If his issue of the Stickney air had nothing to do with this particular outbreak, why did he insert it in this thread?

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 11:30:29 PM »

I went to a seminar a few months back at UC davis on this and other disease !

Man hygiene is so fricking important!

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: