Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 22, 2014, 04:38:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barn at Hawthorne isolated.  (Read 3483 times)
laurajean

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:54 AM »

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-barn-horses-kept-isolation-following-signs-unidentified-illness

Let's all hope that it was caught early.
Report to moderator   Logged
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »

Any new information?
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »

Rumor has it one of Divito's horses had to be put down. Let's hope this gets figured out ASAP. Not a good situation at all.
Stat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »

The barn was closest to the Stickney Incinerator #1.  The Poison Air is killing the horses.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »

The barn was closest to the Stickney Incinerator #1.  The Poison Air is killing the horses.

I hope that's a bad joke.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »

Just filed a story which should be up soon. Three new cases. One of the original two euthanized.
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »

Pretty disturbing & sad story..

I know a lot of horses that get ill when they switch from Arlington to Stickney...& the black lung air

Does this have to do with the location or just a random situation that could happen at any track?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »

Specifics on this, please. I know you would not use such a tragic incident to take a cheap shot at Hawthorne.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

Pretty disturbing & sad story..

I know a lot of horses that get ill when they switch from Arlington to Stickney
...& the black lung air

Please name a few horses that have gotten ill in the past. Thanks.
Chris Szulc

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »

Please name a few horses that have gotten ill in the past. Thanks.

I have had horses get sick or infections due to the barn environment at Hawthorne. More so we always blamed it on the fact that they are closed barns with not much fresh air and dust accumulates really easily to get into their lungs. The Hawthorne backside is not very friendly to the health of these horses, especially bad bleeders.
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »

ive owned horses and have worked on the backstretch at the thorne and we never had horses get sick due to environment or air quality, could be your trainer gets some sh1tty straw/hay from time to time which could contain a ton of dust. one of divito's horses was claimed last week and shes actually entered back this week, hopefully shes been tested
dana

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

I really hated to hear what Marcus said.  Very sad to hear, I really hope they get this problem under control soon.  My heart goes out to the connections of the horse that had to be put down. 
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-unknown-ailment-spreads-more-horses-affected-barn
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »

ive owned horses and have worked on the backstretch at the thorne and we never had horses get sick due to environment or air quality, could be your trainer gets some sh1tty straw/hay from time to time which could contain a ton of dust. one of divito's horses was claimed last week and shes actually entered back this week, hopefully shes been tested

Those big, enclosed barns are definitely not as good for horses as more open barns would be, and they are an ideal environment for spreading airborne disease.  On the flip side, they naturally isolate the horses in them from the rest of the population somewhat more than open barns would, so it might provide a better opportunity to confine the problem to the one barn it's in right now.  Let's hope so.

As for testing, they don't know what to test for right now (since they haven't identified the disease/disorder), so I don't know how anybody would go about that.
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »

Of all the things that can be discussed on this forum I can't imagine a topic more important than figuring out what this disease is, how it happened and how we can prevent it in the future.  While this could have happened almost anywhere, I do think that the barns as well as the air quality around the track are nowhere as good as Arlington.  Stickney is not exactly full of country fresh air.
Right now as a horse owner with horses on the backside I want and expect the track management and the state to do everything possible to control this. The fact that we have already lost one horse is one too much.

Finally, kudos to the people caring for the horses, especially those caring for horses in barn A.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »

Chartwell, you are so right about how important this issue is and I hope your horses and all of the horses stay healthy.

I, of course, don't have a clue on what this illness is but I posted the following link here on October 4th. Certainly this is not to say this is what the illness is but it was found in two states, Massachusetts and Illinois:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/73292/new-equine-eee-wnv-cases-reported-in-mass-ill?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »

I have had horses get sick or infections due to the barn environment at Hawthorne. More so we always blamed it on the fact that they are closed barns with not much fresh air and dust accumulates really easily to get into their lungs. The Hawthorne backside is not very friendly to the health of these horses, especially bad bleeders.

These things might well be true. They also probably have nothing to do with the situation at hand. If this is EHV-1, it's at least as likely to be spread by humans as air. There have been outbreaks of that virus in all sorts of environments. The comments on this thread linking the sickness to the Hawthorne physical environment are likely to turn out to be irresponsible and inflammatory.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 10:08:28 PM »

I believe Hawthorne should immediately knock the sides out of all their barns to make them more open and airy, especially for winter time training and racing when it is 20 degrees below zero. Both horses and humans prefer having a howling wind blowing 20 degrees below zero air over them.

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
Chris Szulc

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

These things might well be true. They also probably have nothing to do with the situation at hand. If this is EHV-1, it's at least as likely to be spread by humans as air. There have been outbreaks of that virus in all sorts of environments. The comments on this thread linking the sickness to the Hawthorne physical environment are likely to turn out to be irresponsible and inflammatory.

No, you're right...I was not implying that. I was replying to HorseVoice in asking that "Please name a few horses that have gotten ill in the past. Thanks." in response to Purple Lavern saying "I know a lot of horses that get ill when they switch from Arlington to Stickney..."

I was not talking about this current situation, solely commenting on the how Hawthorne's barn environment isn't very kind to these horses. I did not at all imply that the ENVIRONMENT itself caused this... Apologies if you or others saw it that way...
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 05:45:35 AM »

Hawthorn's barns are what they are.  Winter barns that are for the most part old and dirty.  Having said that I don't believe there are any humans or horses that really believe that the air quality in Stickey around the track is anywhere as healthy as around Arlington.

In spite of this I personally love racing at Hawthorne as horses and dirt work better for me than horses and poly. Both serve there place but I would rather spend a day at Arlington in the sunshine running for 25% more money. Just wish the poly would be replaced with some good dirt
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:53 AM »

I was replying to HorseVoice in asking that "Please name a few horses that have gotten ill in the past. Thanks." in response to Purple Lavern saying "I know a lot of horses that get ill when they switch from Arlington to Stickney..."

Chris, if you say you have horses (only a few, hopefully) that respond negatively to the switch from AP to Haw, I believe you. (There are undoubtedly some horses that don't respond favorably to breathing in fibers and silica and other stuff from the Polytrack at AP, as well.)

Your statement is quite reasonable and measured as compared to that of "Purple Lavern", who apparently is SO overwhelmed with his list of "a lot of horses that get ill when they switch" that he can't even name ONE.

(And really...who expected anything else from this Purple guy, clearly a National Enquirer reporter wannabe?)
ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »

Purple can't have had many horses, or he'd know how often viruses run through the barns at Arlington.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »

Come on guy's, Today is Wednesday and maybe some of the weekends testing results will be in?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 07:35:26 AM »

Come on guy's, Today is Wednesday and maybe some of the weekends testing results will be in?

I want the problem identified and resolved as much as anyone, and I own ZERO horses.

It's just infuriating that some j.o. has to use this unfortunate situation to try to give a crotch shot to Hawthorne, what with ridiculous comments about "black lung air".  Roll Eyes
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »

I noticed that as of right now, trainers from Barn A still have horses listed in today's entries and there are no indications that they have been scratched yet. Shouldn't they have already been declared to be scratched?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: