Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 10:11:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: 2003 MLB Playoffs Cubs vs Marlins, Game 7.  (Read 931 times)
hungry

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »

I'm watching on youtube an ESPN 30/30 documentary on the 2003 Cubs playoffs and Bartman and i want to ask you all a question. Did you wager against the Cubs in Game 7? A very similar situation happened to the Red Sox in 1986 where they went to game 7 and they werent able to overcome the devastation in game 6. This Game 7 situation for the Cubs was very similar, did you feel in your gut the Cubs had no shot and that they were 'done' from the events of game 6?

Supposedly, to this day, Bartman is in 'hiding' and has turned down 6 figure offers to appear on Super Bowl commercials among other things. Geez, if Bartman put his walkman on Ebay he could get 50k for it i'm sure.

Report to moderator   Logged
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »

While I didnt bet against them, Cubs fans already knew they were done. But it wasnt just them, as you mentioned, the 86 red Sox, had NO chance either...and many other squads who took devestating losses in a clinching game never came back from them either. If it's true what you say about Bartman passing up 6 figure commercial deals, then shame on him. He WAS NOT the reason they lost, that play just sucked ALL the air out of the stadium. Alex Gonzales booting the double play ball had MUCH more to do with the loss as did Kyle Farnsworth,(and his 100+ fastball) bouncing 2 curveballs to Mike Mordecai....putting him in a "dead red" hitting count.....that still amazes me. Let's also not forget what got Sammy out the door also....going 3-0 as a lead off hitter down 2 runs and swung at 3 consecutive balls over his head when they desperately needed a base runner....THAT at bat wiped out 10 years of fan love, steroids or no steroids. Like it was yesterday....eh?  beer

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Louie Weedelbaum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »

The guy who wound up catching that ball got close to 6 figures for it before it was blown up at Harry Carey's restaurant.  There were 5 or 6 other people trying to catch that ball as well and Bartman became a scape goat.

I highly reccomend the documentary that hungry is watching, it is fascinating viewing.
jdizigg

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

I disagree with you mel, they still had a chance.....The real cub fans cringe every time this is brought up...It brings back painful memories...I didnt leave the house or do anything for 3 days...Is that a little silly probably...But im a diehard cub fan i turn 30 in a few days so i havent seen 50 plus years of heartache and i am confident with the new playoff format that i will get to see them win a world series....
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »

In theory, of course they "had a chance"....they had an entirely new game on a different day. But , again, reality is, they didnt. They were 5 outs from getting there....it cant be changed.  head shake

burton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »

Kerry Wood, not only the most overrated pitcher in Cubs histroy but in baseball history was the starter.
he even hit a HR.
But couldn't hold a 5-3 lead in the biggest game of his career.
He could last 6 innings.
The marlins had a pitcher by the name of Josh Beckett who was totally overlooked by the media.
The old marlins skipper (Huh can't remember his name) smiled when asked about the highly touted Pryor & Wood and said, "I like my pitchers just fine".

maybe next century cub fans.

Another choke.
Another overrated team of mediocrity lead by Mr. mediocre himself, Kerry Wood.

jdizigg

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »

Kerry Wood, not only the most overrated pitcher in Cubs histroy but in baseball history was the starter.
he even hit a HR.
He could last 6 innings.
The marlins had a pitcher by the name of Josh Beckett who was totally overlooked by the media.
The old marlins skipper (Huh can't remember his name) smiled when asked about the highly touted Pryor & Wood and said, "I like my pitchers just fine".

Another choke.

I dont understand you......Why all the flame post?  Whos your team Mkdurm?  Cubbies will win the world series some day while im alive.... Kwood was damn good too..
burton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »

I dont understand you......Why all the flame post?  Whos your team Mkdurm?  Cubbies will win the world series some day while im alive.... Kwood was damn good too..
I'm a Yankee fan.
What's the most games Wood ever won in a season?
Don't tell me about the injuries.
He had several full seasons w/o injury and never won more than 14 games.
he was pretty much a 50/50 pitcher.
And as I pointed out, failed miserably in the biggest game of his career.
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »

he even hit a HR.
He could last 6 innings.

Another choke.

Mediocrity at it's finest.    http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/18/3029278/kerry-wood-retires-20-strikeout-game-video-gif
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 01:00:08 AM »

The guy who wound up catching that ball got close to 6 figures for it before it was blown up at Harry Carey's restaurant.  There were 5 or 6 other people trying to catch that ball as well and Bartman became a scape goat.

I highly reccomend the documentary that hungry is watching, it is fascinating viewing.

yes, its a fascinating video to watch, its 10 parts on youtube, it will take about 1 1/2 hours to watch the entire thing (or, maybe 2 hours). Well worth the watch.

hungry

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 01:02:52 AM »

While I didnt bet against them, Cubs fans already knew they were done. But it wasnt just them, as you mentioned, the 86 red Sox, had NO chance either...and many other squads who took devestating losses in a clinching game never came back from them either. If it's true what you say about Bartman passing up 6 figure commercial deals, then shame on him. He WAS NOT the reason they lost, that play just sucked ALL the air out of the stadium. Alex Gonzales booting the double play ball had MUCH more to do with the loss as did Kyle Farnsworth,(and his 100+ fastball) bouncing 2 curveballs to Mike Mordecai....putting him in a "dead red" hitting count.....that still amazes me. Let's also not forget what got Sammy out the door also....going 3-0 as a lead off hitter down 2 runs and swung at 3 consecutive balls over his head when they desperately needed a base runner....THAT at bat wiped out 10 years of fan love, steroids or no steroids. Like it was yesterday....eh?  beer

I just feel like it i was in a position to bet against a team like this, you have to 'unload'. A similar feeling happened to the Yanks in 2004, they had blown a 3-0 lead and the feeling was they were finished with no chance to win game 7. The feeling was one of inevitability and again, it turned out to be right that the Yanks were toast, even with game 7 at home.

I think when a situation comes up like this, you have to unload.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 06:07:02 AM »

yes, its a fascinating video to watch, its 10 parts on youtube, it will take about 1 1/2 hours to watch the entire thing (or, maybe 2 hours). Well worth the watch.

Too bad Cub managment couldn't get Wood to change his motion which inevitably led to all of his arm problems.
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

Too bad Cub managment couldn't get Wood to change his motion which inevitably led to all of his arm problems.

That's very true. Im a former college catcher and Wood's mechanics were often REALLY bad. If he kept his left shoulder square he was virtually unhittable, and if he didnt, he threw all arm and shoulder...which led to his rotator tear that took them 2 years to find. The handling of Wood and Prior were just awful. Such a shame.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: