Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 21, 2014, 01:12:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr. Paul 'NJ' Horseman  (Read 8751 times)
emp

« on: October 26, 2005, 08:28:37 AM »

OK ok ok. Let's start a topic about the famed man from out East 'who wrote the book'.

For starters could someone post a website or an amazon.com link or something for this book.

Here's a bold statement to put out into the #1 forum in harnessracingland. IMO this NJ Horseman poster on this forum adds a different perspective to this forum as he's from out East. As many people from the Illinois program and a ton of the horses will be heading out East soon for the next phase of the so-called 'exodus' maybe we should all listen up to the man.

Granted he's taking the time to post on this forum moreso than that old, ratty, no good and HIGHLY edited forum called TC.com. So everyone should respect the man and listen and learn and ditto to him as he's trying to learn from us and shed his experiences for us. Shocked
Report to moderator   Logged
njhorseman

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:20:05 AM »

OK ok ok. Let's start a topic about the famed man from out East 'who wrote the book'.

For starters could someone post a website or an amazon.com link or something for this book.

Here's a bold statement to put out into the #1 forum in harnessracingland. IMO this NJ Horseman poster on this forum adds a different perspective to this forum as he's from out East. As many people from the Illinois program and a ton of the horses will be heading out East soon for the next phase of the so-called 'exodus' maybe we should all listen up to the man.

Granted he's taking the time to post on this forum moreso than that old, ratty, no good and HIGHLY edited forum called TC.com. So everyone should respect the man and listen and learn and ditto to him as he's trying to learn from us and shed his experiences for us. Shocked

You want a link...you've got it! Here's the publisher's (The Russell Meerdink Company) website:

http://www.horseinfo.com/

My book is near the bottom of the home page. (As of this date the next-to-last on the page.)

By the way...I hope someone took my advice and used the NJ bred-and-trained Artstanding in their exactas¬  in the Governors Cup at Woodbine on Saturday. Grin
Dan Nance

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »

You want a link...you've got it! Here's the publisher's (The Russell Meerdink Company) website:

http://www.horseinfo.com/

My book is near the bottom of the home page. (As of this date the next-to-last on the page.)

By the way...I hope someone took my advice and used the NJ bred-and-trained Artstanding in their exactas¬  in the Governors Cup at Woodbine on Saturday. Grin

Paul
          Are you an author? Can you write screen play? I'm looking for a screen writer who can write a movie based on a true story of a harness driver/trainer who was murdered and then his property was cursed and haunted after his death.

My family and I bought this man's farm in 85 and lived there for over 3 years and can tell you true stories about what happened there that would make your hair stand up.If you can't write a movie maybe you know of a screen writer who can contact me so we can talk. There is money to be made Paul so let me know.   
njhorseman

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:59:03 PM »

Paul
          Are you an author? Can you write screen play? I'm looking for a screen writer who can write a movie based on a true story of a harness driver/trainer who was murdered and then his property was cursed and haunted after his death.

My family and I bought this man's farm in 85 and lived there for over 3 years and can tell you true stories about what happened there that would make your hair stand up.If you can't write a movie maybe you know of a screen writer who can contact me so we can talk. There is money to be made Paul so let me know.   

Dan:
Yes, I'm an author (I wasn't bullshitting when I used to sign my posts as "The Man Who Wrote The Book"), but I've never written a screenplay. However, it sounds like this story would be a good candidate for a book. I think it's a lot easier to sell a story that has first been published as a book.
emp

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »

http://www.horseinfo.com/cart/howtoownsb.html

Found the direct link. Now the questions Sir Paul.

Exactly how many horses have you been involved with either directly or indirectly and how many trainers have you used. You also claim to know a lot of the drivers as well.

Just looking for a little justification for your posts both past and present. As a 30+ year old in the biz for a fair share of my life I've seen and been around a ton but am still learning everyday.

Have you ever experienced the life of a groom? Sat behind horses for a jog or trip? Understood equipment and the effects it has on a horses performance? Have you ever spoken to vets who perform work on horses or studied the effects of drugs both the legals and the narcotics out there?

Again simply trying to justify your opinions which you seem to post here on a regular basis. Actually would love to take a look at your book and see the sources you quote for information or if its simply an account from your eyes. Everyone who reads your posts needs the justification of your experiences in the game to understand your background in the sport.
Dan Nance

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 02:37:22 PM »

Dan:
Yes, I'm an author (I wasn't bullshitting when I used to sign my posts as "The Man Who Wrote The Book"), but I've never written a screenplay. However, it sounds like this story would be a good candidate for a book. I think it's a lot easier to sell a story that has first been published as a book.

Can we talk?
Dr.Trotter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 03:20:01 PM »

I own your book, and I thought it was very good.  I didn't realize that was you until this thread came up.  Very well done.
njhorseman

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 03:25:56 PM »

http://www.horseinfo.com/cart/howtoownsb.html

Found the direct link. Now the questions Sir Paul.

Exactly how many horses have you been involved with either directly or indirectly and how many trainers have you used. You also claim to know a lot of the drivers as well.

Just looking for a little justification for your posts both past and present. As a 30+ year old in the biz for a fair share of my life I've seen and been around a ton but am still learning everyday.

Have you ever experienced the life of a groom? Sat behind horses for a jog or trip? Understood equipment and the effects it has on a horses performance? Have you ever spoken to vets who perform work on horses or studied the effects of drugs both the legals and the narcotics out there?

Again simply trying to justify your opinions which you seem to post here on a regular basis. Actually would love to take a look at your book and see the sources you quote for information or if its simply an account from your eyes. Everyone who reads your posts needs the justification of your experiences in the game to understand your background in the sport.

I'm tempted to suggest that you cough up $25 to buy the book, which will answer all your questions.  Grin

However, I'll succinctly outline the relevant information (at the risk of TC popping off some wisecrack about my posting my resume here  Smiley):
(1) My father was a big harness racing fan, who frequently went to Roosevelt and Yonkers. He introduced me to harness racing by taking me to Freehold one day...probably about 47 or 48 years ago...so I've been a fan for close to 50 years.

(2) I bought my first horse (as part of a partnership) almost 20 years ago.

(3) I haven't tried to keep count, but I've probably owned, solely or in partnership, close to 100 horses over the years. Horses I owned have raced for purses from $1,500 to $600,000, and everything in between, in every class, claiming price, and numerous stakes.

(4) I've never formally worked as a groom, but i have "rubbed" some of my own...from getting to the barn before dawn to feed, to bathing, cooling them out after a training trip or a race, "dressing" them for jogging or racing, etc. I have sat behind them to jog a few times, but never cared for it, figured the trainer was getting paid to break his neck, not me.  Wink

(5) I ran a private stable for a few years complete with a trainer who worked only for me. I was at the barn daily, and was involved in all decisions on vet work, etc., bought all the feed and tack, paid the blacksmith, handled all finances, etc.

(6) I've bred a couple of horses...not very successfully. Cheesy

(7) I've probably had about 6 or 7 different trainers. Maybe a few more because there were a couple who didn't last very long for a variety of reasons.

(8 My first winner was driven by John Campbell at the Meadowlands. The majority of my horses were driven by Campbell, Cat Manzi, Herve Filion, Walter Case, Jr. and Ron Pierce. Some by Howard Parker, Jack Moiseyev, Joe Schwind Richie Silverman, Mike Lacahance. A whole bunch of others drove mine once in a while. When I had the private trainer racing at Pocono, Freehold and Garden State Park, he (a young guy you've never heard of, Jim Baucom, Jr.) also was the principal driver.

(9) I'm a graduate of the Judges/Stewards school run at and by the University of Louisville jointly for the USTA, the Jockey Club and the American Quarter Horse Association. I was a certfied judge, but let that drop as I never worked as a judge.

(10) I was a freelance repoter and columnist for the national harness racing magazine Times:in harness for a while before it ceased publication.

(11) The USTA is the principal customer for my book. They buy it in bulk as a suggested purchase for particpants at the new owner seminars they conduct.

Any further questions? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:32:55 PM by njhorseman » Report to moderator   Logged
njhorseman

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 03:27:19 PM »

I own your book, and I thought it was very good.  I didn't realize that was you until this thread came up.  Very well done.

Thanks...I appreciate the compliment.
njhorseman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 03:33:47 PM »

Can we talk?

Sure...
Dan Nance

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 03:44:10 PM »

Sure...

How about if I fly you to Vegas and get you a free room in the near future and I tell you all the facts over a nice comped dinner at Primo's Steak House at the Suncoast? It's better to talk in person because we will have more time to talk then on the phone.

I'm serious, let me know when it's a good time for you and we can try and find a good airline fare.
emp

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 04:01:01 PM »

Cheers and kudos on the answers.

Now if anyone wants to bash this guy you'll be standing in a line all alone.

Better yet why don't you come to Chi-town, Sir Paul. A very interesting idea is now in the planning stages with a very small number of people and we may need your guidance on this one.

Drop a PM with a phone number, looking forward to speaking with you.
njhorseman

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 06:23:32 PM »

Cheers and kudos on the answers.

Now if anyone wants to bash this guy you'll be standing in a line all alone.

Better yet why don't you come to Chi-town, Sir Paul. A very interesting idea is now in the planning stages with a very small number of people and we may need your guidance on this one.

Drop a PM with a phone number, looking forward to speaking with you.

emp:
Somehow, I have a mental picture of being lined up blindfolded with some other people in an alleyway, and being gunned down ala the St. Valentine's Day massacre. Smiley

You'll have to give me a little better hint of what's going on.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 06:26:14 PM »

NJ, now who's stereotyping -LOL.  TC
emp

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 09:52:34 PM »

emp:
Somehow, I have a mental picture of being lined up blindfolded with some other people in an alleyway, and being gunned down ala the St. Valentine's Day massacre. Smiley

You'll have to give me a little better hint of what's going on.

On the 'QT' as they say at the moment and slowing working its way to fruitation. Wow when will my 'junior member' come around?
burton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 06:47:13 AM »

NJ Horesman

The only thing he might try to do is sit on you and hit you with some hardware stolen from Home Depot.
redneck

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 07:22:34 AM »

8)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 07:07:21 PM by redneck » Report to moderator   Logged
vaporize

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »

Paul

Was just perusing ancient threads and this post really really made be  laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy 
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 11:11:21 PM »

Paul

Sounds alot like James Dean Car.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 11:26:59 PM »

2005 was before my time here.

As much as I'd like to hear from Paul again, Vaporize, you really need to get a life.  And Dan ***?  Cursed?  Who woulda thunk it!

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
INTERESTED OBSERVER

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 02:44:18 AM »

Dan *** was referring to Jim Wondergem's farm.

Wondergem was a fairly successful trainer-driver in Chicago when he was killed in his trailer one night.
Sundance

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 05:45:04 AM »

He used Jim Baucom Jr as his private trainer. Enough said.  doh head shake screwy
trotter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 06:18:18 AM »

Hi N.J.  long time no see.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »

Hi N.J.  long time no see.

FYI - Paul's last post on this thread was in 2005!

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »

FYI - Paul's last post on this thread was in 2005!

So, I guess I'm long overdue to make another one.  Wink

Glad to see I'm so popular that this thread was dredged up out of nowhere.  Cheesy

"I'm a retired investor living on a pension."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: