Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 07:04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice anti Duchossios article  (Read 2378 times)
Jokester

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »

Todays Sun-times ran a nice anti Dick article about his yatch and yellow socks. I would post a link to article if I knew how.

I believe the journalist was Mark Brown. Today's Chicago Sun Times, someone please post link.
Report to moderator   Logged
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »

Here you go:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/brown/15547373-452/395000-a-week-on-a-duchossois-yacht.html
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:49:35 AM »

Wow!!!  A rich guy owns a yacht, and it costs a lot of money!  Pulitzer Prize material for sure.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:16:34 AM »

Wow!!!  A rich guy owns a yacht, and it costs a lot of money!  Pulitzer Prize material for sure.

Exactly..and I guess because he made tons of money in other businesses he's supposed to support the entire Horse industry in Illinois? bang head
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »

Wonder what it's insured for!
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »

Exactly..and I guess because he made tons of money in other businesses he's supposed to support the entire Horse industry in Illinois? bang head

Only the few of use here and those in the industry can make that connection.

The question non-horseracing folks want to know is, "why does a guy with so much money need slots, etc., at his racetrack?", which IMO is the writer's desired effect.

Unfair, but not unwarranted: if you piss off as many people as RLD has over the years, you shouldn't be surprised about being attacked.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »

Are you kidding?  This guy is a complete unknown... people don't even know the spelling of his name!  Cheesy
Bob B

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »

I would venture a guess that slots at tracks would help horse owners, trainers, breeders and stable help more than Mr. D on a percentage basis of personal net wealth.  Dick D. wants slots, he doesn't need them.  It's getting to the point in Illinois racing that the other people mentioned want and need them.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »

He's 91 years old... no luggage racks on hearses, last I looked.
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »

Agree with most people on this subject..

Like who cares the guy has a sick ass boat...

He could have sold the Ariington Property & made millions but has continued to support the dying industry of racing.
I think it just comes back to him wanting to be competitive..Why can't Arlington have a super meet ala Keeneland with top jocks, trainers, etc

States on the border are getting the better horses due to this factor...& Arlington already has the infrastructure to handle the slots..
Christ, they are putting Slots in bars across Illinois.  What a F*** up state we live in bang head
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »

He could have sold the Ariington Property & made millions but has continued to support the dying industry of racing.
I think it just comes back to him wanting to be competitive..Why can't Arlington have a super meet ala Keeneland with top jocks, trainers, etc

Big difference between "wanting to be competitive" and wanting everything your own way, like RLD. Remember, he thinks he "presides" over Illinois racing, not just supports it like some peon trainer with one horse and pitchfork.

Arlington could have a "super meet" like Keeneland one day, but only when CDI shows some class and grace ala Keeneland, and truly cares more about the game than their corporate bottom line. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

RLD has tons of money, yes, but money can't buy class.
SandyLoam

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »

What the h-e-double hockey sticks is Brown's point? Pound for pound, Brown is the one who's grossly overcompensated, considering the important stories he and his newspaper ignore. I don't like Dickie D. either, but I do think he earned his money.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »

Wikipedia says he served in five European campaigns.  Doesn't say which they WERE, of course... could've laid siege to Pauillac in 1988, a VERY good year.   Wink

Seems he's also a defense contractor.  (Terry... hello?)  Cheesy
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »

Big difference between "wanting to be competitive" and wanting everything your own way, like RLD. Remember, he thinks he "presides" over Illinois racing, not just supports it like some peon trainer with one horse and pitchfork.

Arlington could have a "super meet" like Keeneland one day, but only when CDI shows some class and grace ala Keeneland, and truly cares more about the game than their corporate bottom line. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

RLD has tons of money, yes, but money can't buy class.

I agree the CDI affiliation has turned the warm & fuzzy mood at AP to a more bottom line approach.
Have added in many posts about Arlington's lack of support for its regular gamblers & ridiculous food prices but still the best racing in Illinois.

Dick D has lost his fastball & think there is early dimentia , don't think he is calling many of the shots anymore.

Damn, forgot to load up on Parkcorn before the  end of the season-...
Please tell me what Howard Tudberry gets paid for doing- talk about stealing
Jokester

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »

Dirty Dick is a prick of a man. I will never forget the fight he got into. This prick has a famous quote "Mayor if I had your money I would throw mine away".

Wouldn't you know it the fight took place at a charitable event. Dirty Dick is all about himself, *** the charity. He's a prick.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

Wikipedia says he served in five European campaigns.  Doesn't say which they WERE, of course... could've laid siege to Pauillac in 1988, a VERY good year.   Wink

Seems he's also a defense contractor.  (Terry... hello?)  Cheesy

This is just off the top of my head, but I believe he served in the D-Day campaign and was wounded severely.  I think he was a tank captain.  His service in WWII was legitimate and involved.

Again, off the top of my head, he owns a variety of companies.  I think railroad car manufacturing is one of them. 

I am sure others here can add or clarify his background.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »

Sounds like a hero to me... I seem to recall him having horses with Roger Laurin in NY well back in the day (not that that has anything to do with heroism, of course)... in fact, I may have bet a few of the steeds, long before I knew of his being the king of the hill in Chicago racing.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »

This is just off the top of my head, but I believe he served in the D-Day campaign and was wounded severely.  I think he was a tank captain.  His service in WWII was legitimate and involved.

Again, off the top of my head, he owns a variety of companies.  I think railroad car manufacturing is one of them. 

I am sure others here can add or clarify his background.

http://www.duch.com/whoweare/key_executives
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »

A full and eventful life.  Perhaps some of his seeming dickitude is understandable.
Jokester

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 01:20:02 AM »

Sounds like a hero to me... I seem to recall him having horses with Roger Laurin in NY well back in the day (not that that has anything to do with heroism, of course)... in fact, I may have bet a few of the steeds, long before I knew of his being the king of the hill in Chicago racing.

That's funny, a hero? He's no hero! He's lucky to be alive. Sounds like luck and timing.

A hero! HaHa sarcasm
Jokester

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 01:31:40 AM »

A hero doesn't start fights at charity events! Yimmy is coo-coo for Dicky boy!
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »

Yeah, D-Day really didn't matter much in WWII, and who among us hasn't been Severely Wounded In War at one time or another.  I hate when that happens...

head shake
joe bunzol

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »

I am not a DD fan, but the writer is a hypocrite. As I recall, and if I'm wrong I'm sorry but doesn't Rocky Wirtz have an interest in SunTimes ownership. The same Rocky Wirtz whose father, Bill (dollar bill) Wirtz was so cheap he made he lost Bobby Hull.The same Rocky Wirtz who is leading the NHL lockout in step with Gary Bettman. Talk about calling the pot black!

honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »

I am not a DD fan, but the writer is a hypocrite. As I recall, and if I'm wrong I'm sorry but doesn't Rocky Wirtz have an interest in SunTimes ownership. The same Rocky Wirtz whose father, Bill (dollar bill) Wirtz was so cheap he made he lost Bobby Hull.The same Rocky Wirtz who is leading the NHL lockout in step with Gary Bettman. Talk about calling the pot black!

Do you think Rocky Wirtz himself was responsible for this piece? And what exactly was in that Duchossois piece that correlates to locking out NHL players? It's a story about an overpriced yacht.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »

Mr D's start in business started when he married Beverly Thrall , the daughter of the founder. He has earned his way from there  in the business world.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: