Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 07:21:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: People who try to make a difference!  (Read 302 times)
fuzzypants

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »

Two years after staging one of the largest wild horse rescues in history, vineyard owner Ellie Price has given the rescued mustangs freedom and a new home.
Price, a wildlife advocate and owner of the famous Durell Vineyard, was present to witness the happy end of a long journey.

Price looked on in anticipation as 115 mustangs, rescued in 2010 from a livestock auction in Fallon, Nevada, and housed in leased feedlots ever since, took their first tentative steps towards freedom.

The horses were released into the wild at the new Montgomery Creek Ranch, a 2000-acre wildlife refuge established by Price just outside of Willows, California.

Ranch manager Mike Holmes, who has overseen the care of the horses since their rescue, will reside onsite to ensure the continued health and safety of these and future wild horses and other animals released to the refuge.

Over time, Price plans to work in concert with nearby ranchers and landowners to make Montgomery Creek an agriculturally sustainable and biologically diverse habitat for wild horses and other local wildlife.

“These wonderful horses have brought great joy to my life, and the experience of releasing them into the wild was deeply gratifying,” says Price, who is working closely with the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign to raise awareness.

Ellie Price
“I have been profoundly inspired by the animal welfare advocates who work on the front lines to promote the use of humane and sustainable practices. I am fortunate to have the resources to save these particular horses, but there is so much more we need to do to protect wild horses and other threatened wildlife.

“That’s why groups like Wild Horse Preservation really need our help.

“While I am grateful that I was able to help these horses, rescue and re-homing is not an ideal or sustainable solution to wild horse management,”  Price said.

“That’s why I’m working with the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign to encourage the Bureau of Land Management to use birth control vaccines to manage herd populations and keep wild horses in the wild where they belong. It’s the most humane and, in the long run, cost-effective way to manage wild horses on the range – so that both they and we can continue to enjoy their freedom.”

Report to moderator   Logged

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »

I wish more people with those kind of resources were interested in rescuing.  That's a phenomenal story. 
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: