Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 20, 2014, 09:23:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawthorne Fall Meet Preview!!!  (Read 1806 times)
The Dark Horse
Chicago Correspondent - Horse Racing Nation

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »

Ready for Hawthorne??  Here is the fall meet preview!!  http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/Chicago/Hawthornes_Fall_Meet_Is_About_To_Liftoff_123
Report to moderator   Logged

faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »

You forgot to mention the crappy purses.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »

I'm glad Hawthorne is back and glad to hear they are doing well. I usually don't wager on a track the first couple of weeks of their meet because of all the unknowns but I will be betting on them this Saturday, win or lose, to support them. I would prefer an earlier start because we get to the OTB late morning and leave about 6:00 p.m. so I don't think I'll be able to catch all of their races. I'm hoping they have a very successful meet but also confident they will.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »

Everybody I know at our OTB likes to bet Hawthorne.  I hope it's a very good and profitable meet.
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »

I saw jm on tv today.  hes a nice guy.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »

Lots of horses the first couple days, at any rate.

Get ready for some colder weather about Friday or so ... it snowed here today, and what we get here is usually on its way there a few days later!

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »

Catalano's horses are really tearing up the track in the morning these days.

Unfortunately, they're doing so at Keeneland . 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

Catalano's horses are really tearing up the track in the morning these days.

Unfortunately, they're doing so at Keeneland . 

Bob Baffert says those fake tracks are no good, and he's a renowned expert, so what the heck is Wayne doing there?

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »

Very good imitations of George Costanza.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »

Lots of horses the first couple days, at any rate.

Get ready for some colder weather about Friday or so ... it snowed here today, and what we get here is usually on its way there a few days later!

SNOW! Yeeks.  88 degrees today here.  Too hot!  Indian Summer for us. 
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »

Somebody will have to post how opening weekend at HAW goes, because I feel like everyone in racing I know and have talked to in the last couple of days is going to Keeneland this weekend. I'm leaving for Keeneland Friday, I plan on coming back on Tuesday, but who knows I'm not working and have a friend who lives in Louisville maybe he'll let me stay the whole meet and we'll car pool to Lexington everyday.  Grin

I can't wait, I'll take lots of pictures again to post.

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »

Looks like half of Chicago shipped down there... Rivelli, Eric Reed, Dale Bennett, Eddie Kenneally, Merrill Schere, Carl Nafzger... the list goes on and on.  I gather or at least assume this is standard, but it's still galling.

Of course, NY lost the Robot; he seems to have moved down there lock, stock and barrel... all his good unraced 2yos split.  Angry
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »

Looks like half of Chicago shipped down there... Rivelli, Eric Reed, Dale Bennett, Eddie Kenneally, Merrill Schere, Carl Nafzger... the list goes on and on.  I gather or at least assume this is standard, but it's still galling.

Of course, NY lost the Robot; he seems to have moved down there lock, stock and barrel... all his good unraced 2yos split.  Angry

I think the purse cuts at Hawthorne led to the exodus.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »

Well, I guess Tammy and Moises will clean up with the cheap claimers.  Even Dorochenko split.  Grin
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »

Kenneally, Sherer, and Nafzger usually run in Kentucky, except for van trips to Arlington.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »

Kenneally, Sherer, and Nafzger usually run in Kentucky, except for van trips to Arlington.

Quit raining on a good story's parade with actual facts, APCD Dan.  Grin

Rivelli has also been running all over the country in recent years, too. It's hardly like he's been a mainstay of Hawthorne up until now.

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »

Kenneally actually won with a firster at Belmont today as well...

ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »

So how was opening day at Haw??

I just got back from Lexington, KY late last night. I had so much more fun this second time around all thanks to my awesome friends. I had the chance to stay with one of the nicest jockeys in the business on a beautiful farm just minutes from the track. We went to morning workouts every morning, the races, and on dark days we were both put to work on the farm. I got to groom, walk, and play with dozens of horses. The babies just love when you run with them along the fences. I fell in love with one of many farm dogs, almost cried when I left yesterday...especially when he ran all the way to Versailles Dr after my car. If I didn't have to come back to Chicago for a pet sitting gig, I'd still be in Lexington.

I got to see Willcox after his big place finish. He looked fantastic! Considering how excited Mike Stidham and Marty were after the race, I think even they were surprised he ran so well.

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »

If I didn't have to come back to Chicago for a pet sitting gig, I'd still be in Lexington.

I think you should seriously consider getting into the horse racing business in some fashion.  You seem to have the talent and connections for it.  A move to Kentucky might not be a bad idea since Illinois is not the greatest place to get started and does not have the greatest future.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »

You forgot to mention the crappy purses.

What purses are "crappy"? I still see $5k claimers running for more than double their claiming price, IL MSW going for $31k and open MSW $30k where these were $26k just a few years ago, N1X and N2X botjh a couple $thou better than the $28k and $30k (?) these used to be, and not to mention the pretty huge IOA bonus for winning in open company. Purses for midlevel claimers aren't spectacular.

g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »

those purses last year in the fall were round 36-37k, why did they drop when that money was supposed to be around through next year?

What purses are "crappy"? I still see $5k claimers running for more than double their claiming price, IL MSW going for $31k and open MSW $30k where these were $26k just a few years ago, N1X and N2X botjh a couple $thou better than the $28k and $30k (?) these used to be, and not to mention the pretty huge IOA bonus for winning in open company. Purses for midlevel claimers aren't spectacular.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 01:59:48 PM »

those purses last year in the fall were round 36-37k, why did they drop when that money was supposed to be around through next year?

The purse money isn't entirely made up of free boat money, you know. It depends what was the agreement with the horsemen on how they would allocate it over the years. I suspect they loaded up last Fall to see what would happen. Apparently the bettors did not come through in a big enough way just because the races had big purses? Or maybe Arlington succeeded in hoovering up more of the boat purse money if they succeeded in their legal battle over whether or not Haw deserved any for the former Sportsman's dates? Or Huh

I just don't know. Has anyone actually ASKED the ITHA or Jim Miller why they're lower?

g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

dont have the fall numbers be these are the spring's when purses were up:

This spring, Hawthorne saw an increase in total handle of nearly $20 million as $92,109,865 was wagered on the Hawthorne live product compared to $72,239,975 in the 2011 spring meet over the same 41 day period.  That handle total translated to a 27.5% increase with an average daily handle of $2,246,582 compared to $1,761,950 for a daily increase of $484,632 per racing day.  Onsite handle for the spring meet was $4,176,448, an increase of over $700,000 compared to the $3,475,224 wagered in 2011.  The onsite increase for the meet was 20%.  In state handle increased 9.2% while out of state handle was up over 30% for the spring meet.

The purse money isn't entirely made up of free boat money, you know. It depends what was the agreement with the horsemen on how they would allocate it over the years. I suspect they loaded up last Fall to see what would happen. Apparently the bettors did not come through in a big enough way just because the races had big purses? Or maybe Arlington succeeded in hoovering up more of the boat purse money if they succeeded in their legal battle over whether or not Haw deserved any for the former Sportsman's dates? Or Huh

I just don't know. Has anyone actually ASKED the ITHA or Jim Miller why they're lower?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

dont have the fall numbers be these are the spring's when purses were up:

This spring, Hawthorne saw an increase in total handle of nearly $20 million as $92,109,865 was wagered on the Hawthorne live product compared to $72,239,975 in the 2011 spring meet over the same 41 day period.  That handle total translated to a 27.5% increase with an average daily handle of $2,246,582 compared to $1,761,950 for a daily increase of $484,632 per racing day.  Onsite handle for the spring meet was $4,176,448, an increase of over $700,000 compared to the $3,475,224 wagered in 2011.  The onsite increase for the meet was 20%.  In state handle increased 9.2% while out of state handle was up over 30% for the spring meet.

That's all well and good but how does it translate to purse earnings? It's quite apparent most of that came from out of state, where purse earnings are about 1.5% of handle, MAYBE. You can't pay for a 20% overall purse increase with that.

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »

Somewhere on this forum, I think Jim answered this question. Someone please help find Jim's post.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: