Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 02:23:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arlington's Handle  (Read 1086 times)
Mary Ann

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »

Mr. D thinks there are too many race dates in Illinois.  I guess he's wrong because the increase in Arlington's handle this year came from out of state. When you read this article, read the comments after the article. It seems like everyone is saying the same thing about Arlington. I'm glad Hawthorne is opening up. Now I can wager on some Illinois racing.

http://www.drf.com/news/arlington-park-all-sources-handle-rises-6-percent-illinois-commission-reports
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »

Mr. D thinks there are too many race dates in Illinois.  I guess he's wrong because the increase in Arlington's handle this year came from out of state. When you read this article, read the comments after the article. It seems like everyone is saying the same thing about Arlington. I'm glad Hawthorne is opening up. Now I can wager on some Illinois racing.

http://www.drf.com/news/arlington-park-all-sources-handle-rises-6-percent-illinois-commission-reports

It's kind of astounding that we'd be seeing two years in a row of "daily average" increase from out-of-state, what the races on poly being utterly random and unpredictable and so on. But congrats anyhow to AP for the increases flying in the face of all the big bettor wise guys laying off due to that unpredictability.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:47:25 AM »

It's kind of astounding that we'd be seeing two years in a row of "daily average" increase from out-of-state, what the races on poly being utterly random and unpredictable and so on. But congrats anyhow to AP for the increases flying in the face of all the big bettor wise guys laying off due to that unpredictability.

Not to mention they basically had zero handle the first two days of the meet because of the entry freeze that went on. Their numbers were good this meet. Unless you hate poly, CDI or Mr D...which a lot of people do..It was a good track to be at this summer.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:06:33 AM by Klink » Report to moderator   Logged
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »

Their numbers were good this meet. Unless you hate poly, CDI or Mr D...which a lot of people do..It was a good track to be at this summer.

Good way to sum it up.
thearmada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »

Possible cause of on track handle declining?

1. The departure of Gennadi Dorochenko during the meet
2. AP not being fan friendly like the past
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »

Possible cause of on track handle declining?

1. The departure of Gennadi Dorochenko during the meet
2. AP not being fan friendly like the past

People betting on their phones and tablets for better rewards than they can get through the on track terminals?

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »

Arlington's handle?  I like to call it "Fred."
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »

Mr. D thinks there are too many race dates in Illinois. 

Well, he's right.

Arlington's handle benefited from the weather this summer, just like Hawthorne's did in the spring. 
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »

TurfMonster, here's Mr. D's statement from the Chicago Tribune article. Sounds to me like he's trying to rob Peter to pay Paul:

"Duchossois also is convinced that the Chicago thoroughbred season is too long and that Illinois racing would be better served if the Illinois Racing Board made drastic cuts in Hawthorne Race Course's spring meeting and gave the money that would accumulate from out-of-state simulcasts during this dark time to Arlington for purses."
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »

Arlington's handle?  I like to call it "Fred."

I think the full handle is "Light-fingered Fred".

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »

Then again, considering that it's Chicago, perhaps its handle should be "Stas".
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »

I do not believe your attempt to bait HV is working.  In reality, I think you love poly about as much as HV.  Same thing goes for your attempt to get a raise out of Mel on how good other mares around the world are compared to Zenyatta.  I am probably the only one picking up on some of your "points" you are making.

In case you haven't noticed, Hawthorne opens Friday and Arlington is closed.  It is safe to come back to Chicago.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »

TurfMonster, here's Mr. D's statement from the Chicago Tribune article. Sounds to me like he's trying to rob Peter to pay Paul:

"Duchossois also is convinced that the Chicago thoroughbred season is too long and that Illinois racing would be better served if the Illinois Racing Board made drastic cuts in Hawthorne Race Course's spring meeting and gave the money that would accumulate from out-of-state simulcasts during this dark time to Arlington for purses."

No, it sounds like he wants the Arlington meet to attract better horses, trainers, stables and jockeys at the expense of the Spring welfare meet that displays the best 5 horse fields of 10k Illinois bred maiden claimers and 7500n2l's that Illinois has to offer.  
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

Turf Monster, according to Chicago Dark Horse's article in Horse Racing Nation:

"You can guarantee that Hawthorne will focus on the quality of the racing this fall.   As Jim Miller told me, the fall meet “always provides the largest field size in the state” and the folks at Hawthorne are expecting that once again!  Hawthorne is also looking to continue the momentum of the spring meet where they were up 27% in handle.  This bodes well for us fans as the payouts are sure to be quite large!"

That has also been my perception over the years that Hawthorne has had larger fields than Arlington although this year it seems the fields at Arlington were larger than in past years. I guess it didn't take taking away race dates from Hawthorne to accomplish that.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »

Yeah, the fields are big, but on the 9/5 card every single trainer with a horse entered is an ofer for the meet.  Angry
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »

Hawthorne's fall meet is nowhere comparable to its spring meet.  The fall meet is great, but the spring meet is a welfare meet for the Illinois horsemen that can't cut it at Tampa, Keeneland, and Oaklawn. 
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »

Speaking about handles, has anyone else run into the problem of getting shut out from placing a wager because there are not enough clerks or tote machines? At the OTB I go to, a lot of people are getting shut out and they are complaining all of the time yet they won't hire any more people or put in more machines because they are operating lean. A couple of weeks ago, I was shut out and I would have made over $100 on a $10 wager. That's more frustrating than losing in a very close race.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »

Yeah, the fields are big, but on the 9/5 card every single trainer with a horse entered is an ofer for the meet.  Angry

Well, look on the bright side - so are all the trainers on Keeneland's 9/5 card, and that's supposedly a much better meet.

SandyLoam

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »

Speaking about handles, has anyone else run into the problem of getting shut out from placing a wager because there are not enough clerks or tote machines? At the OTB I go to, a lot of people are getting shut out and they are complaining all of the time yet they won't hire any more people or put in more machines because they are operating lean. A couple of weeks ago, I was shut out and I would have made over $100 on a $10 wager. That's more frustrating than losing in a very close race.
Yeah. At my now-defunct OTB, when you would press "5" on the bubble gum-duct tape-hanger wire machines and get "9" and then it would print out "2," I decided it was much better to wager on the smartphone. Missing a bet such as you did would ruin my whole day -- or week, even if I turned a profit that day. The technology is out there. If the OTB is not going to provide it . . .
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »

Sandy, you are so right about getting shut out of a winning bet. It really spoils your day. It's a missed opportunity. It's really crazy they are not more accommodating in making it easier to place bets since that's what they want. Can you imagine how much bigger a handle could be if everyone could get their bets in? At the OTB I go to, there are some whales, high rollers, and even their complaining about getting shut out doesn't help in getting more machines or clerks. When you complain to the staff, you always get the same answer, "I know" and that's as far as it goes. You'd think they'd get sick of all of the complaining. And my cell is not so smart but I'm planning on getting a tablet.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »

"Borislav?"  "Dragan?"
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »

don't get behind the following bettors in Niles......you will not get your bet in...

FRUITY SMOKE GUY  AKA GETTY LEE DOUCHEBAG
STEVE TROUT...must work at a fishery bc he smells worse then a rotting corpse
BILLIE BEANBAG......takes 20 minutes just to move his ass out of the way
SCREAMING GREEK GUY....10minutes for a 50c voucher.....

don't forget to keep picking up those dimes that I drop in the pisser...
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »

"SCREAMING GREEK GUY."   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I bet every other word out of his mouth is "BOUSTI."  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: