Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 29, 2014, 03:28:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ot: It's official! Cubs lose 100  (Read 715 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »

Each year there's only one team that wins the World Series, but almost as rare, each year there's only one or two teams that suck so bad they lose 100, and this year, the Cubs join those distinguished ranks.

Mustering a mighty two (2) hits in front of a faithful home crowd officially listed as 32,167 but with many masquerading as empty seats, the mighty 2012 Cubbies meekly surrendered to the only team in all baseball, both leagues, worse than them, the Houston Astros, by a score of 3-0.

Not since the stinky white Sox of 1970 has any Chicago team lost 100 or more, and not since 1966 have the Cubs done so. Sure, those really crappy Cubs teams of 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2006 gave it ride, losing 94, 95, 97, and 96 respectively, but this year's edition of the Cubs actually went out there and met the challenge.

Congrats to the 2012 Cubs for a job miserably done, of which we may correctly and honestly say, "The Cubs Suck".  thumbs up
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
jdizigg

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »

Each year there's only one team that wins the World Series, but almost as rare, each year there's only one or two teams that suck so bad they lose 100, and this year, the Cubs join those distinguished ranks.

Mustering a mighty two (2) hits in front of a faithful home crowd officially listed as 32,167 but with many masquerading as empty seats, the mighty 2012 Cubbies meekly surrendered to the only team in all baseball, both leagues, worse than them, the Houston Astros, by a score of 3-0.

Not since the stinky white Sox of 1970 has any Chicago team lost 100 or more, and not since 1966 have the Cubs done so. Sure, those really crappy Cubs teams of 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2006 gave it ride, losing 94, 95, 97, and 96 respectively, but this year's edition of the Cubs actually went out there and met the challenge.

Congrats to the 2012 Cubs for a job miserably done, of which we may correctly and honestly say, "The Cubs Suck".  thumbs up

Are you a cub fan?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »

Are you a cub fan?

I'm a Chicagoland resident, poking this year's fun at our shared perennial source of humor.

jdizigg

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »

I'm a Chicagoland resident, poking this year's fun at our shared perennial source of humor.

So point blank your not a cubs fan, thanks for starting another flame thread...I appreciate it as i am a die hard cub fan.  thumbs down  You just love being a troll  maroon
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »

So point blank your not a cubs fan, thanks for starting another flame thread...I appreciate it as i am a die hard cub fan.  thumbs down  You just love being a troll  maroon

Is it your opinion that only Cubs fans can talk about the Cubs? Sorry, nope. They belong to everyone.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »

Two thoughts to add to your eloquent observation:

1.  Next year could be worse, especially if they get rid of Garza.

2.  In typical Cub fashion, even with 100+ losses they won't get 1st draft choice.  They can't even win when they lose.

Next year bad 95+ losses, 2014 near .500, 2015 competitive.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »

Attendance 2,800,000 for this season
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »

Attendance 2,800,000 for this season

Which is down substantially from last season, barely above the NL average, and lots of that 2.8M "paid" actually came to the games came dressed up as empty seats.

Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »

When I predicted the Cubs would lose 100 in April, the people laughed. They should have been laughing at the Cubs instead of me!
How much longer can that manager and Marmol be allowed to continue?
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »

When I predicted the Cubs would lose 100 in April, the people laughed. They should have been laughing at the Cubs instead of me!
How much longer can that manager and Marmol be allowed to continue?

You really think Dale Sveum is to blame here? They might have lost 120 with another guy. He is an excellent young manager who needs players.
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »

I'd rather be a Cub fan than a Sox fan the last two weeks.
 Sox fans had their hearts ripped out with this monumental collapse.
Cub fans knew their season was ovah in May, no misery....
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »

There is no way any Cub fan can be disappointed with this season.  They were a terrible team that everyone in baseball knew could not compete from day one.  They were a young team that never quit, they were overmatched. Sveum did good.

Winning teams are usually homegrown.  A nucleus from the farm system, with free agents added to fill in the blanks.  For the last 5 years of Tribune's ownership the focus was on increasing the value of the Cubs for the purpose of selling, not building a sustainable winning operation.  They had to be competitive immediately to sell them. That meant free agents and our aging "stars" were overpaid both in $$$ and length of contract, which the Trib could care less about because they weren't going to be around to pay them.  Additionally, the farm system was both looted and ignored.  

The Rickett's management team has had to rebuild and restock the farm system and wait out the contracts that handcuffed them.

So Cub haters rejoice, we're going to stink for a couple more seasons so you'll have plenty to gloat about.  If there are any open mined people out there, hold your judgement til maybe 2014, we should start to be the light then. If they do it right, we'll have a nice 5 year run.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:39:29 PM by beobob » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »

I'd rather be a Cub fan than a Sox fan the last two weeks.
 Sox fans had their hearts ripped out with this monumental collapse.

a) Not hardly, any long time Sox fan knew this wasn't the team, and
b) +2 to -2 is "monumental"? You must not have been a Cubs fan very long, then. Even I know the picture of the 1969 Cubs appears next to the word "monumental" in the dictionary. Or was it the '84 Cubs? Or maybe the Bartman Cubs? Gosh they all blend together.

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »

So Cub haters rejoice, we're going to stink for a couple more seasons so you'll have plenty to gloat about.

You guys just don't get it. No one really hates the Cubs, except maybe four people in St. Louis. How can you hate a team that never wins, as opposed to say, the Yankees? Glad to see a certain segment of Cubs fandom taken down a notch or six from year to year, that's always a different story.

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »

You really think Dale Sveum is to blame here? They might have lost 120 with another guy. He is an excellent young manager who needs players.

I agree with this assessment 100% Sveum did fine with what he had, I do question his playing of Mather the last couple weeks, would have rather seen some kid get more of a shot.

The "new" Cubs front office did acquire a potential superstar in Jorge Solar, and had a good draft, and picked up a few possible decent arms in a couple trades.
Anyone that is a Cubs fan knew this was a rebuilding year and didn't have high expectations, no matter how someone twists the words as to being "fair weather"fans.

As for hating the White Sox, there were 3 reasons I hated the Sox
1. Ozzie Guillen-he gone
2. Ken Harrelson-worst announcer ever
3.AJ- even some of his past teamates hated him.

I do have tons of respect for Konerko, and Sail is a star already, also always liked Ventura, even though he tried to take on Nolan Ryan.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »

The Cubs were pretty impressive in terms of season-long suckage.  But the Sox' performance down the stretch takes the prize for suckage in the clutch.  One World Series title in a century for both teams combined--draw your own conclusions about the quality of Chicago baseball.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 10:22:19 PM »

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »

...and not good enough for the #1 draft pick next year.  A waste of a great effort.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »

...and not good enough for the #1 draft pick next year.  A waste of a great effort.

Particularly in the face of going out with such a strong whimper - getting swept though 4 by the 3rd worst team in baseball, the Rockies, losing 2 of 3 to the lowly Diamondbacks, and now looking at a sweep by the worst team in all baseball. What more could the poor hapless Cubbies do to deserve that #1 pick?

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »

And the Cubs go out a winner for 2012. Congrats to them and their long-suffering fans.

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »

"Let's play two!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: