Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 07:20:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ot: Sox  (Read 1010 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »

Don't look now, but ... here's Detroit, again.  thumbs down

Sox aren't playing real well right now, that's for sure.
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »

Not to argue, but I thought the Sox played OK today.

Everyone was beefing about the "missed double play" (Hawk, to the 10th power overkill, as usual; please God make him stop), but I watched the replay on that, and the Cleveland baserunners were balls out to break up that DP; they need to be give a little credit, as they are playing for "pride only" these days.

Also, I'm old school, baseball-wise, so I don't subscribe to the idea that whatever happens after such a play, the pitcher is exonerated. (Think about why a bad throw to 1st that results in not getting the 2nd out of the a double play is NOT an error, if the runner does not advance: because "you can't assume the double play".)

Liriano needed to bear down after his infield didn't turn the DP; instead, he grooved a couple of pitches that you and I could have hit. That's inexcusable.

There were still plenty of chances left to get back in the game. When Paulie wheeled on that first pitch in the ninth, I was sure the comeback win was in order.

The Sox will be fine. IMO, they have the easier schedule in the next week, and most any kind of effort gets them to the playoffs. Pitching needs to step up a little.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 05:47:26 AM »

Not into baseball but on a beautiful day with the Sox fighting for 1st only 13,000 at the game ?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:29 AM »

Not into baseball but on a beautiful day with the Sox fighting for 1st only 13,000 at the game ?

Day game, kids back in school, bad economy, etc. My brother and I would have gone if yesterday's game was at night...so that would have made it 13,002.  Grin

I would *never* schedule any weekday baseball games after Labor Day; you are just asking for a weak gate.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 06:09:54 AM »

Maybe they need slot's to make it as well ?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:26:01 AM »

Maybe they need slot's to make it as well ?

Yes, and they need to take dates away from the Cubs.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:05:31 AM »

Ouch! Let me ask how many would there be if it were the Cubs!
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »

Ouch! Let me ask how many would there be if it were the Cubs!

Not going there.

Cubs fans (other ones, not me) keep coming out to games no matter how bad the on-field product is. Too much money and / or too little brains.

I'll pay to see a Sox game; at least they are trying to win.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »

The Sox will be fine. IMO, they have the easier schedule in the next week, and most any kind of effort gets them to the playoffs. Pitching needs to step up a little.

Not sure I agree Detroit's remaining schedule of KC and Minnesota is tougher, but at least they're both on the road.

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »

I would *never* schedule any weekday baseball games after Labor Day; you are just asking for a weak gate.

It was scheduled for a night game.  They moved it to a day game because Tuesday was a religious holiday for some people.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »

It was scheduled for a night game.  They moved it to a day game because Tuesday was a religious holiday for some people.

Ahh. Thanks for the update, Dan.
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »

From what I heard on the radio yesterday it was rescheduled so Kevin Youkilis (Jewish) could play.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »

From what I heard on the radio yesterday it was rescheduled so Kevin Youkilis (Jewish) could play.

That is correct..he said he would have sat out otherwise. Obviously didn't matter thumbs down
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 02:43:47 PM »

maybe RLD could buy them and change their name to the Yellow Sox.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »

Well, at least all our post-season $bux will be applied to next year's season tickets.  laughing guy

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »

I can't believe there was only 20K there tonight.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »

I can't believe there was only 20K there tonight.

Were you there?

I can't believe the Cubs have lost two in a row to the lowly Rockies, but shit happens.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:41:25 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »

It wasn't a Sox slam.  I want them to win.

I just can't believe they're in a pennant race and no one shows up. 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »

It wasn't a Sox slam.  I want them to win.

I just can't believe they're in a pennant race and no one shows up. 

Well, if you don't ... then who?

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »

One thing I'll tell you for sure ... if the Sox do recover and make the playoffs, the stands will be filled with typical fairweather Chicago fans in brand new Sox garb, out supporting whatever team happens to be winning at the time, just like they always do, and all showed up in their brand new black apparel when the Sox went to the playoffs in 2005 ... and lined the parade route as "lifetime Sox fans" in greater numbers than total attendance for the season. Chicago fans are the worst fairweather bandwagon-jumpers in all sports, IMHO. Bears winning? I'm a Bears fan! You didn't know? Really! Hawks? Count me in! Northwestern when Bobby Barnett came to town? Where can I sign up? Even though for so many years prior, you could easily hear the keys jingling in the empty stands. Etc etc.

HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:43 AM »

How do you walk 12 people? That is embarrassing

SHOWTIME!!!
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 07:14:10 AM »

KIPNIS TOO

maybe they went to temple together thumbs up

Influx of MLB Jews
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »

One thing I'll tell you for sure ... if the Sox do recover and make the playoffs, the stands will be filled with typical fairweather Chicago fans in brand new Sox garb, out supporting whatever team happens to be winning at the time, just like they always do, and all showed up in their brand new black apparel when the Sox went to the playoffs in 2005 ... and lined the parade route as "lifetime Sox fans" in greater numbers than total attendance for the season. Chicago fans are the worst fairweather bandwagon-jumpers in all sports, IMHO. Bears winning? I'm a Bears fan! You didn't know? Really! Hawks? Count me in! Northwestern when Bobby Barnett came to town? Where can I sign up? Even though for so many years prior, you could easily hear the keys jingling in the empty stands. Etc etc.

Don't you think (as an example) hard-core Cubs fans are dumb for supporting their team for 25 years or more when they never win a damn thing?

At what point do I have a right as a long-suffering Chicago sports team fan to say, "F*ck you, _______________ (insert Chicago team name here), I'm not paying for tickets until you start WINNING!".

I smell a double standard here.
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 07:54:17 AM »

The attendance blame game has been going on (seems like) forever...

I am a Sox fan-- my 2 boys are Sox fans- my wife is a Sox fan...We have been to a grand total of 1 game this year...

For me , it as simple as not wanting to sit in my car for 2 hours (each way).....Nothing to do with color of seats, price of beer, simply a royal pain to get to that place from NW burbs....

On the other hand, we went to 3 Schaumburg Boomers games this year to watch players nobody knows but still enjoyed.

DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »

Purple Lavern ,I have to ask being a former harness fan , Lavern Hostetler with purple and white drivers silks it this you ?
Bob B

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »

Northwestern when Bobby Barnett came to town? Where can I sign up? Even though for so many years prior, you could easily hear the keys jingling in the empty stands. Etc etc.

LOL.  Only a horse racing fan would slip up on Bobby Barnett the trainer with Gary Barnett the football coach.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »

Don't you think (as an example) hard-core Cubs fans are dumb for supporting their team for 25 years or more when they never win a damn thing?

I think they're dumb when they still blindly support the team in a year like this one.

At what point do I have a right as a long-suffering Chicago sports team fan to say, "F*ck you, _______________ (insert Chicago team name here), I'm not paying for tickets until you start WINNING!".

My issue with fairweather Chicago fans is the practice of not supporting the teams while they're winning throughout the season, like the Sox are now, and then coming out in droves as "lifelong fans" when the playoffs start.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »

LOL.  Only a horse racing fan would slip up on Bobby Barnett the trainer with Gary Barnett the football coach.

Sorry. Embarrassed At least I knew it was one of the Barnett boys.

PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »

No it is not the real Lavern but like you grew up watching the purple & white so payed homage to him with my handle.

We are probably the same age about...& favorite horses were Pipercreek Susie, Hoots, Isaac c..a lot of Lavern's horses.

I did meet him a few times & pretty nice guy. thumbs up
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »

The attendance blame game has been going on (seems like) forever...

I am a Sox fan-- my 2 boys are Sox fans- my wife is a Sox fan...We have been to a grand total of 1 game this year...

For me , it as simple as not wanting to sit in my car for 2 hours (each way).....Nothing to do with color of seats, price of beer, simply a royal pain to get to that place from NW burbs....

My seat partner from Mt. Prospect manages gets down there for our 10 games a year without too much trouble ... on the other hand, my summer residence in Montana has cut way down on my own visits.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

How do you walk 12 people? That is embarrassing

From what I've seen the Sox are operating with a lot of stopgap guys in a bullpen that's changed constantly all season. It's definitely a weakness.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

I think they're dumb when they still blindly support the team in a year like this one.

My issue with fairweather Chicago fans is the practice of not supporting the teams while they're winning throughout the season, like the Sox are now, and then coming out in droves as "lifelong fans" when the playoffs start.

I get what you are saying, yet at the same time I think there is a contradiction in your two statements.

At the beginning of the season, I think most reasonable fans sort of knew the Cubs were going to be stinky in 2012, and that the Sox could be competitive, but were certainly no lock to have a successful season.

IMO, fans of both teams had every right to hold back and see if their team would be in the hunt in September, and if some Sox fans are just now coming out of hibernation, well, I lay the blame for that squarely on Sox management, not supposedly "fairweather Chicago fans".

Put out a competitive product like they do most every year in NY, and the fans will be in the seats BEFORE September. The baseball season is extremely long, and it cost too much money to attend games on a regular basis just to find out in crunch time that you have been backing a loser all year.

As poorly as the Chicago sports fan has been treated for the last 100 years, I'd say we have earned the right to think and act this way: we owe this town's sports teams NOTHING any more...they owe US. You'd get this if you were born here and lived here your whole life.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »

I get what you are saying, yet at the same time I think there is a contradiction in your two statements.

At the beginning of the season, I think most reasonable fans sort of knew the Cubs were going to be stinky in 2012, and that the Sox could be competitive, but were certainly no lock to have a successful season.

And neither team was a lock to be stinky, either. I don't fault any fans for going out and supporting their team early in the season, at least until they're proved stinky. Then, if your team is stinky you quit going to their games (unless you're saddled with season tickets), and if your team is winning, you keep going. Don't care if it's Bears or Bulls or Sox or whatever.

IMO, fans of both teams had every right to hold back and see if their team would be in the hunt in September, and if some Sox fans are just now coming out of hibernation, well, I lay the blame for that squarely on Sox management, not supposedly "fairweather Chicago fans".

It's not just Sox fans I'm talking about. Look at how empty the United Center was for so many Hawks games all those years until they magically won, and then Katie bar the door for lifelong Hawks "fans".

As poorly as the Chicago sports fan has been treated for the last 100 years, I'd say we have earned the right to think and act this way: we owe this town's sports teams NOTHING any more...they owe US. You'd get this if you were born here and lived here your whole life.

I was born somewhere, and have lived somewhere all my life. Teams in those places have had their ups and downs, but the fans still support them with attendance. Chicago fans are unique in their fair weather-ness in my experience.

HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »

I don't know all the details of your guys marriage.....But its been one hell of a rocky divorce

SHOWTIME!!!
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »

Purple Lavern  Let's go with Mr Dalrae , Rambling Willie, Hot Head, Gumcorner lad. My favorite longshot driver was Randy Jacobs out of the 8 hole at Maywood!
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »

I don't know all the details of your guys marriage.....But its been one hell of a rocky divorce

You're joking, right?

This is one of the more civil discussions Terry and I have had in past year or two.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »

It's not just Sox fans I'm talking about. Look at how empty the United Center was for so many Hawks games all those years until they magically won, and then Katie bar the door for lifelong Hawks "fans".

I attended darn near every Hawks game for the last 6 years they were at the old Chicago Stadium, but when they moved to the United Center, they forgot to bring some things to the new place, mainly "heart" and "talent". I stopped going, especially at the "new and improved" prices Roll Eyes at the UC. So did many of the other so-called "only 18,000 hockey fans in Chicago".

The team stunk; IMO, we earned that right to stop supporting them. (Many of us spent our money on Wolves games, partly in protest, but mostly because we hadn't seen spirited, competitive hockey in a while...even if it was the minor league kind.)

When Dollar Bill died and the Hawks became competitive again, the fans returned...and yes, whether you agree with the term or not, many of those that came back could rightfully be called "lifelong fans".

I was born somewhere, and have lived somewhere all my life. Teams in those places have had their ups and downs, but the fans still support them with attendance. Chicago fans are unique in their fair weather-ness in my experience.

Name a "somewhere" that you were born in or have lived that has the collective record of abysmal failure Chicago sports teams own (except the Bulls, who showed us in the 90's how the other half lives).

"Ups and downs"? Where the hell are the rest of our ups?

I think you just can't possibly have the proper perspective to make the call you are making; Chicago fans are undoubtedly unique -- in the suffering department. We are not "fairweather fans". We are willing to spend money we don't even have yet...but on a competitive team!. There is a growing unwillingness to pay for mediocrity from our sports teams, and I applaud the movement. I'll know that the whole metro area has come to their senses when I start seeing a half-empty Wrigley Field before the All-Star break.

Chicago is a world-class city, with almost unparalled entertainment choices; we are not a Green Bay or St. Louis, stuck with only one realistic form of entertainment (yes, I am purposely discounting the brewery and paper mill tours). If the Chicago sports team(s) du jour stink, I only have about 100 other meaningful non-sports forms of entertainment on which I can plunk down my hard-earned dough in this city. The Cubs can go suck eggs, and if Kenny Williams won't improve the product on the South Side, he can go join Theo Epstein for a suck-off.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »

Name a "somewhere" that you were born in or have lived that has the collective record of abysmal failure Chicago sports teams own (except the Bulls, who showed us in the 90's how the other half lives).

The Phoenix Suns are still looking for their first NBA championship, as a for instance.

"Ups and downs"? Where the hell are the rest of our ups?

Wah wah wah. Bears championship in '85. Three good runs of Bulls championships in the 90's. Sox in 2005. Hawks in whenever. And that doesn't even count all the other times the teams have made it into the playoffs.

I think you just can't possibly have the proper perspective to make the call you are making

I think you are incorrect about that, as I've lived in Chicago for 27 years now, and in any case my opinion is my opinion. Chicago fans are the worst fairweather fans anywhere. Bar none.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »

The Phoenix Suns are still looking for their first NBA championship, as a for instance.

LOL. The 73 people over the age of 50 that are "originally from Phoenix" are hereby granted Long-Suffering Fan status. They already have the same number of baseball championships as the two Chicago teams have combined in the last 50 years. (Any guess as to what Cold Weather, U.S.A. metro area most current Phoenix residents blew in from?) 

I've lived in Chicago for 27 years now, and in any case my opinion is my opinion. Chicago fans are the worst fairweather fans anywhere. Bar none.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it fails miserably due to your misuse of the term "fairweather fan": in order to be a fairweather fan of a team, said team has to have a reasonable amount of success from which to fall away; otherwise, it's merely the act of a fan supporting an overall losing franchise for awhile, followed by no longer supporting said overall losing franchise. This is a more accurate description of the Chicago sports fan.

Over the last 50 years, the Bears, Sox and Hawks have been closer to one-hit wonders than "reasonably successful"; the Cubs have become the unfortunate poster boys for systemic failure at the pro sports level. Using your definition, little kids who stop rooting for the Washington Generals (because they finally realize they are always going to take the worst of it from the Globetrotters) are "fairweather fans". Nonsense -- they just wised up.

And, 27 years you've been here, you say? You are still pretty new, as your view was skewed by walking in on the Bears winning the Super Bowl, and the Michael Jordan years. The 20+ years prior to the Bears lone Super Bowl win were a disgrace here, sports-wise; the scales of sports championship justice were in no way close to balanced even after the completion of the Bulls first "three-peat".

You'll have to put in another 27 before you can credibly hang any labels on us lifelong Chicagoans. No hiding out in Big Sky country in the summer, either -- you have to put up with all of the road construction, masses of vacationers, and all of the other crud that wears down the year 'round Chicago resident's soul, in order to fully understand our take on the performance of the local sports teams. Your "opinion" is simply without proper foundation.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »

LOL. The 73 people over the age of 50 that are "originally from Phoenix" are hereby granted Long-Suffering Fan status.

The franchise was only started in 1968. That's only 44 years ago. At the time there were half a million people in Phoenix and probably another half million in the various suburbs.

They already have the same number of baseball championships as the two Chicago teams have combined in the last 50 years.

And zero pro football championships, and no NHL championships, and it's been a long time since ASU was champion of anything (important).

You're entitled to your opinion, but it fails miserably due to your misuse of the term "fairweather fan": in order to be a fairweather fan of a team, said team has to have a reasonable amount of success from which to fall away

Really? Where is that definition written? (Besides by you, I mean.) Normal people use the term in the same sense as this "urban dictionary":

"A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fair%20weather%20fan

You'll have to put in another 27 before you can credibly hang any labels on us lifelong Chicagoans.

Sorry but no, that's not at all necessary. What's obvious is obvious, has been for years, and no amount of prevaricating rationalization changes Chicago fans (except Cubs Wrigleyville fans, bless their hearts) from fair weather to other-weatherly.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

Well, there's pretty a much a microcosm of the entire season.  thumbs down

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:19 AM »

Well, there's pretty a much a microcosm of the entire season.  thumbs down

If it makes you feel any better, the Cubs -- perhaps sensing the Sox pending demise -- are themselves hurtling towards 100 losses with brutal efficiency.

With 6 games left, anything less than a 4-2 finish by the Cubs (highly unlikely) will restore the shit-eating grin to the tens of hundreds of "lifelong, diehard" Sox fans sprinkled throughout the Chicago area, and provide an offseason sustaining refill of bile for their bitter, lost souls.  nyah

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:57 AM »

Really? Where is that definition written? (Besides by you, I mean.) Normal people use the term in the same sense as this "urban dictionary":

"A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fair%20weather%20fan

Yes.

You conveniently left out the example given, that describes the real fairweather fan: a New England Patriots fan, seeing that his team is out of the playoffs, suddenly shows up wearing a jersey of the playoff-bound Green Bay Packers -- his new "bestest NFL team ever". Next season, when the Pats are doing well, he's back on their bandwagon.

Chicago sports fans simply don't do this, this business of cheering for other city's teams; when I stopped going to Blackhawk games, I didn't start walking around wearing a Federov jersey and telling everyone of my deep affection for the Red Wings. I just spent my money on another Chicago team (Wolves).

It is one thing to be a fickle, flighty sports fan, and quite another to register your deep discontent with a team you love by withholding your money. You weren't born and raised here, and you are only a part-time Chicago resident at best now, so it may well be impossible for you to understand the difference. But criticize Chicago sports fans? Not until you've walked a mile in our moccasins.
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 05:16:58 AM »

And neither team was a lock to be stinky, either.

Wrong !!!!! The Cubs were a lock to be stinky this year, The new front office set out and said this would be a major rebuild season and no high priced free agent signings. They also hired a manager with 0 managerial experience.

Take a few minutes and glance at the Cubs message board, True Cubs fans have ripped on this front office and players on the field all year. You are confusing die-hard Cubs fans with the Cubs fans that visit Chicago on vacation.
I myself am a lifelong Cubs fan and haven't been to a game at Wrigley in 8 years and until they have a competitive team wouldn't spend a dime going to see them.

As far as the Hawks and the sold out United Center...........Anytime a team wins a championship they build a fan base, I have a preteen daughter that is crazy about the Hawks since they won the "Cup"
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »

Yes.

You conveniently left out the example given, that describes the real fairweather fan: a New England Patriots fan, seeing that his team is out of the playoffs, suddenly shows up wearing a jersey of the playoff-bound Green Bay Packers -- his new "bestest NFL team ever". Next season, when the Pats are doing well, he's back on their bandwagon.

That was AN EXAMPLE. That was not the definition. The definition stands on its own. doh

"A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams."

ONLY SHOWS SUPPORT WHEN THE TEAM IS DOING WELL. Check.
DURING HARD TIMES THEY USUALLY BANDWAGON OTHER TEAMS. (In the case of Chicago fans, some other Chicago team that's winning, if any, or none at all, if none.) Check.

There ya go. Describes the vast majority of Chicago sports fans to a tee. They only support the team when it is going well ... in fair weather.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:23:37 AM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2012, 07:27:18 AM »

Wrong !!!!! The Cubs were a lock to be stinky this year

WRONG!

No team is stinky until it has been proved stinky.

The new front office set out and said this would be a major rebuild season and no high priced free agent signings. They also hired a manager with 0 managerial experience.

The Cubs had a core of veterans to start the season, and the other team in town hired a manager with zero managerial experience, and lots of people thought that mean the Sox were going to stink, too. So no go there.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, the Cubs -- perhaps sensing the Sox pending demise -- are themselves hurtling towards 100 losses with brutal efficiency.

With 6 games left, anything less than a 4-2 finish by the Cubs (highly unlikely) will restore the shit-eating grin to the tens of hundreds of "lifelong, diehard" Sox fans sprinkled throughout the Chicago area, and provide an offseason sustaining refill of bile for their bitter, lost souls.  nyah 

Well now. You're the one always whining about Sox fans bringing this stuff up, but there you go guilty as sin introducing it into this thread where it wasn't before. So since you a "lifelong" diehard Cubs have tossed out all your previous positions about bringing this up, apparently now it's open season any old time. Thanks!

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »

[quote author=honest & balanced terry link=topic=51615.msg577429#msg577429 date=134883883

The Cubs had a core of veterans to start the season, and the other team in town hired a manager with zero managerial experience, and lots of people thought that mean the Sox were going to stink, too. So no go there.
[/quote]

I WILL GO THERE

Who were the hard core group of veterans??    Dempster? gone.........Soto? gone.......Baker? gone.... Byrd? gone........... Soriano?.....nobody would touch that contract the previous regime handed out but hes having a very good year.
Zambrano was a cancer that was gone before the season started.
This team started the season with lower expectations than the Pirates or Royals
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

Who were the hard core group of veterans??    Dempster? gone.........Soto? gone.......Baker? gone.... Byrd? gone...........

They weren't gone at the beginning of the season, before the Cubs proved whether or not they were going to stink, were they?

Ergo, they had the core of veterans to start the season.

But thank you for arguing my "fair weather Chicago fans" case for me, though.  thumbs up
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:36:32 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »

No your right they were with the team to start the season....But takes a partner to make a trade right?
So I would say sometimes you are stuck with what you have, doesn't mean you like it.
Many teams dont make a trade in the beginning of the season, that is why they have trade deadlines.
And much of the dead wait the Cubs started the season with is long gone, and if they found someone dumb enough to take on Sorianos or Marmols contract they would have been gone as well. Contracts given out by a different front office
Hence this was a rebuild season

And stick your fair weather Cubs fan up your ass
You are the baby already making excuses for your teams collapse  chicken
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »

WRONG!

No team is stinky until it has been proved stinky.
I have got to go with Lusty Tar Heel on this one Terry.  The western winds blew the Cubs stank all the way from Arizona up to Chicago last Spring.  Whew it was about like the time I lived next to Scioto Downs.

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »

No your right they were with the team to start the season....But takes a partner to make a trade right?

Well, you obviously weren't, because you claimed they sucked before the season ever started as your excuse for not supporting them. I'm pleased to learn there are indeed fans more loyal than you.

And stick your fair weather Cubs fan up your ass

No, you stick it up YOUR ass, fair weather Cubs fan who apparently gave up on them when their record was still 0-0, according to what you're posting here.

(Gad, what brilliant repartee' emanates from Cubs fans.  Roll Eyes )

You are the baby already making excuses for your teams collapse  chicken

At least they didn't "collapse" in opening week, and in fact, they lasted two months longer than I thought they would, so good for them. I'm surprised they did as well as they did. Good for them, and unlike some others, they still don't have a big scarlet "E " by their name with just days to play. Nor will they end up with the 2nd worst record in all baseball.

Epsom Derby

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2012, 12:43:42 AM »

Win or Lose I think "The South Sider's" rounders win this season.

Adam Dunn earned his money, unlike last season.

Ozzie Guillen proved he's a douchebag in Florida.

Rounders issued solved. You're welcome. Let me know who wins the WORLD series.
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »

Awful quiet in here after the ace of the staff gets pummeled and only goes 3 innings.

4 hits in the stretch drive of a pennant race?

And only 26,000 "fair weather" fans on a beautiful sunny day in Chicago 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »

Awful quiet in here after the ace of the staff gets pummeled and only goes 3 innings.

It's what happens when you spend a couple days in the mountains out of Internet range. But I'm back now!

4 hits in the stretch drive of a pennant race?

Yes, indeed. Same stuff that's been happening all season long, and exactly why I've been going back and forth with AFP#1 about their chances all season long.

And only 26,000 "fair weather" fans on a beautiful sunny day in Chicago.

So if they all went to just this ONE game, that's one more than the zero you went to when you decided before the season even started that your team was going to stink, right, ultra fair weather fan?

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »

Well Grizzly Adams, doesnt look like there will be any postseason baseball on the south side.

na na na na  na na na na  hey hey hey  goodbye
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »

Well Grizzly Adams, doesnt look like there will be any postseason baseball on the south side.

na na na na  na na na na  hey hey hey  goodbye

Even if there was, it wasn't going past the ALDS, so it's no real blow. The team just was never as good as the top teams in the league, had these weak hitting streaks all season, and a smoke and mirrors pitching staff. So they save us 100% of our money to apply to next year's tickets.

But at least they were "in it" up until the final week of the season, unlike the other team in town, that was totally out of it by June 1st. P.U. what smelly cheese being cut on the north side this year.  cheese

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: