Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 01:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theory on claiming  (Read 744 times)
brivolta

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »

I know the conventional wisdom has always been to claim the highest level you can because the monthly upkeep is the same...so you might as well get a horse that can get you the higher purses.

I am developing a different take on this. Not because of my horse but because of what I am seeing with other horses. I could be way off base with this, but here goes:

By claiming low to mid level claimers it is easier to detect a fishy drop in class. The old "if it's too good to be true it probably is" definitely applies. However, a horse dropping from allowance company to 25k or 40k claimers make it tougher to sniff out potential problems. Add to that the NW1/x allowance condition that many low level claimers can jump up and win, and to me it seems you can make a safer claim at the lower levels.

Now given that I'm new at this I am sure that there are significant holes in this philosophy. So let's discuss...
Report to moderator   Logged
Chris Szulc

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

It all depends really on WHO you're claiming from, owner, trainer, etc... In my opinion, that is the biggest thing to consider when you see drops or "too good to be true," because sometimes a trainer/owner may have too many horses and simply is just running them to win and lose, or they do have problems.

That's why the claiming game is so great, with all its risk, its a poker game of its own.

That's my first thoughts that I only have a few minutes to share about, but of course there are a lot more. Would love to talk with you more about claiming in the future....
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

Take a look at this one J Pa is in Sunday for 5k fresh off a 18k Rivelli claim, this would be a good horse to start the conversation!
Chris Szulc

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »

Take a look at this one J Pa is in Sunday for 5k fresh off a 18k Rivelli claim, this would be a good horse to start the conversation!

Probably damaged goods. The owner is not Rivelli himself or Ravin, who want to win and drop as such to win a race just to "win a race". Would not touch the horse myself but be interesting if Rainwater goes back for him..
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »

Claiming is a huge crapshoot at any level.  The only "system" that works is to have a sharper trainer than the guy you took the horse from--and even that doesn't always work.
ThePaceMaker

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:12:53 PM »

If u wanna see an example of the "Is this a firesale?" question look no further than the 10th today at Laurel, yes off layoff but horse who posted 4-5 straight 105+ Beyers being dropped in a 15 claimer
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »

J Pa scratched, look at Dr Ballenger Friday, 16k nw2 favorite last two starts in for 7,500 with Graham!
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »

J Pa scratched, look at Dr Ballenger Friday, 16k nw2 favorite last two starts in for 7,500 with Graham!

I saw that he was a "vet" scratch.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »

Brivolta I hope your filly came back good and is doing ok?
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »

Brivolta I hope your filly came back good and is doing ok?

She came back great. However, I literally got a call about 5 minutes ago that she got back from galloping this morning and tied up pretty bad. The vet came and gave her a shot and I guess she's fine now. Trainer even thinks she'll be ready to go back to the track tomorrow, so I guess it's nothing to worry about. He thinks it happened because she's done nothing but walk since her race last Tuesday. Ideally he would have sent her to the track a day earlier, but the track is cloised on Sundays.
coldpunch

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »

It all depends really on WHO you're claiming from, owner, trainer, etc... In my opinion, that is the biggest thing to consider when you see drops or "too good to be true," because sometimes a trainer/owner may have too many horses and simply is just running them to win and lose, or they do have problems.

That's why the claiming game is so great, with all its risk, its a poker game of its own.

That's my first thoughts that I only have a few minutes to share about, but of course there are a lot more. Would love to talk with you more about claiming in the future....

The poker analogy is excellent--retrospectively looking back at the inner dirt meet @ Aqueduct-the purses were skewed due to the influx of blood slot money--so you had a guy like Dave Jacobsen claim a horse for @$25k--wins by a pole and pays $3.20--then in two weeks is running for a $12.5k tag--and there is nothing physically wrong w the horse--but the economics didnt discourage that business model--in fact--it encouraged it
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »

With the purses like Parx had Saturday that could happen but not in the Land of Lincoln, we have to Governors to maintain in Jail!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 07:26:26 PM »

She came back great. However, I literally got a call about 5 minutes ago that she got back from galloping this morning and tied up pretty bad. The vet came and gave her a shot and I guess she's fine now. Trainer even thinks she'll be ready to go back to the track tomorrow, so I guess it's nothing to worry about. He thinks it happened because she's done nothing but walk since her race last Tuesday. Ideally he would have sent her to the track a day earlier, but the track is cloised on Sundays.

So glad she is OK.  That is the part of owning a horse that frightens me. 
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »

Not to rain on the parade, but tying up is often chronic, and it can get to a point where the horse just can't race.  I hope that's not the case here.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

Not to rain on the parade, but tying up is often chronic, and it can get to a point where the horse just can't race.  I hope that's not the case here.

I hope so too. It's the first time she has done it since we have had her. Her trainer thinks its because she hadn't been to the track since her race last Tuesday. He thinks she'll be fine. Should I be worried? All comments and opinions welcome...
4thehorses

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »

If you think she tied up badly, and are worried about other underlying issues, the vet can spin her blood and check her muscle enzyme levels... A blood panel can also reassure, address,or rule out causes/effects for a relatively low cost.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »

If you think she tied up badly, and are worried about other underlying issues, the vet can spin her blood and check her muscle enzyme levels... A blood panel can also reassure, address,or rule out causes/effects for a relatively low cost.

The track vet was at the next barn over when it happened and came over. His exact words (my dad happened to be there when it happened) were "she's not bad at all but I'll give her a shot to help her out a little." So he didn't seem too alarmed by it. I'm hoping that's a good sign. I would think (I should never assume) that if he thought it was a bad one he would have told us.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »

She went to the track this morning and came back perfectly normal. Hopefully it was just a freak thing from being off for a few days.
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

glad your horse is doing ok brivolta! there are certain things your trainer can do to try and help prevent her from tying up in the future and you gotta capable trainer so i wouldnt worry too much over it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: