Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 12:59:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AP vs. Hawthorne at IRB meeting today  (Read 3046 times)
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

I heard that Mike Campbell was pitching going back to 6 days of racing today.  Someone tell me that didn't happen.
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »

Since the IRB pretty much has a history of doing nothing, I predict next year's dates will look eerily similar to this year's, no matter how much white noise, bluster, lies, and hot air poor Marcus has to sit through today. Might be one of those days when they don't reach their lofty decision until after a nice dinner on the taxpayers' dime.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

From Marcus: "7.5 hrs later, Ill Racing Board sets 2013 racing schedule very much like 2012."

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »

Oops not so fast. It seems the IRB wanted that taxpayer funded dinner after all. From Marcus:

"Big revision on last IRB tweet. Dates motion just failed on a 4-4 tie. Back to square 1.'

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »

Oops not so fast. It seems the IRB wanted that taxpayer funded dinner after all. From Marcus:

"Big revision on last IRB tweet. Dates motion just failed on a 4-4 tie. Back to square 1.'

Good. Maybe one or more of those clowns are actually thinking things through.

(Hey, I can dream, right?)
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »

They're probably thinking they'd like to give more days to AP so that noted pauper Dick D. can finally afford lights for his track to enjoy his three (3) nights of racing under the lights when any simulcast money generated during those cards would go to the harness tracks.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »

...noted pauper Dick D.

Hey, do you know what it costs to fuel that yacht of his?

He's gotta be hurtin'...
Chris Szulc

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »

He's gotta be hurtin'...

Queue yacht image...

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »

He's gotta be hurtin'...

Don't snicker, yacht fuel costs a bundle. Those big babies get maybe 0.05 nautical miles per gallon of marine diesel.

jimk

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »

I don't think I have ever worn yellow socks in  my life. I'm talking my whole life, even in infancy. I wonder if it's a super rich thing. I usually work in neighborhoods in the city and wearing yellow socks could very well result in a good ass-kicking.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »

I usually work in neighborhoods in the city and wearing yellow socks could very well result in a good ass-kicking.

I find if I walk around wearing just yellow socks (no third one, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers), people tend to give me a rather wide berth.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »

I just wonder what his golf pants look like.  

Yellow plaid?  Green black and yellow plaid.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:26:23 PM by pamwaggy » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »

Took some dark days away from AP and gave them to Haw. Just enough to bloody Churchill's snoot.

http://www.drf.com/news/illinois-racing-board-decision-shifts-2013-dark-day-simulcast-revenue-arlington-hawthorne

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »

I just wonder what his golf pants look like. 

Yellow plaid?  Green black and yellow plaid.

His wife is not on the ball.

When you have that much money you can wear whatever you want.

Chris Szulc

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »

Took some dark days away from AP and gave them to Haw. Just enough to bloody Churchill's snoot.

http://www.drf.com/news/illinois-racing-board-decision-shifts-2013-dark-day-simulcast-revenue-arlington-hawthorne

Good!!
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »

Good!!

This is going to cost the patrons bringing in their own food and drink dearly, will probably result in an admission increase, and you can just forget about those three (3) nights of racing that were going to do ... something ... for Illinois racing.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »

Holy Shit, the IRB stopped kissing RLD's bony arse?

I know it's a trivial amount of money to him and CDI, but...Sweet Jesus, you could knock me over with a feather right now!

The IRB finally grew a pair! Congratulations!
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 08:10:21 PM »

I'm glad to see Hawthorne get some help, which it no doubt needs.  If Hawthorne died, a lot of Illinois horsemen would be hurting. However, I don't get all the ripping on Arlington and RLD.  They run a first-class track and bring quality racing to Chicago, neither of which Hawthorne has ever done (or can do, given its plant and location).

So RLD has a boatload of money (yacht put intended).  Fine, good for him; he earned it.  How many other track owners are regularly out on the apron during training hours?  How many of them are at the races every day?  How many would have plowed a gazillion bucks into a new grandstand when racing didn't look like a very good investment?  The guy has put time, money and hard work into Illinois racing--a whole lot more than most of you who are complaining about him every chance you get.
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »

I have to agree with much of what you said but still think that the Arlington people are all about slots & profit these days.

While yesteryear was about love of racing today is about bottom line.

Many Arlington regulars  (like myself) were basically discarded with the Arlington Park racing club that has eroded over the last few years.
The people that support Arlington were basically given no incentives or perks like years before.

Check out the preferred parking lot on a Thursday or Friday- which no longer is included.

These are small perks that were a nice thank you to the people that regularly showed up.

While I used to support AP it is now every person for themselves  (which is a shame)

Would never dream of writing a letter to the gov or any politician in Arlingtons favor...why should I help AP get slots when they can't even give me a program?
Chris Szulc

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »

I'm glad to see Hawthorne get some help, which it no doubt needs.  If Hawthorne died, a lot of Illinois horsemen would be hurting. However, I don't get all the ripping on Arlington and RLD.  They run a first-class track and bring quality racing to Chicago, neither of which Hawthorne has ever done (or can do, given its plant and location).

So RLD has a boatload of money (yacht put intended).  Fine, good for him; he earned it.  How many other track owners are regularly out on the apron during training hours?  How many of them are at the races every day?  How many would have plowed a gazillion bucks into a new grandstand when racing didn't look like a very good investment?  The guy has put time, money and hard work into Illinois racing--a whole lot more than most of you who are complaining about him every chance you get.

What quality racing and "first-class" track experience does Arlington bring, aside from Million Day? At least 7 of 9 races of an average race day at maidens and 7,500 n#s with the same horses running through that condition. They can't even figure out the race tele-timer, and can't use the improvement money in the coffers to buy a new friggin' timer???

Sure, Tricky Dick earned his money. He has plenty of it, good for him. The yacht images are just a poke at the fact that he uses his dominance in order to strong-arm the racing board and racing industry in Illinois to make it Arlington, Arlington, Arlington! The problem isn't just RLD or AP, it's also CDI and their assertion that they OWN the industry too. Lawsuit after lawsuit can put people and small businesses out of business, which is really what CDI wants.

The whole thing between AP+CDI and HAW is just Ridiculous. Sorry but the only way to have IL Racing survive is to have Hawthorne and Arlington co-exist. If anything Hawthorne is even MORE necessary for Illinois owners and trainers because of the months they operate and how it is those year-round racing months are a neccesity for survival for all the horsemen. I wish CDI/AP would just QUIT IT.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »

The guy has put time, money and hard work into Illinois racing--a whole lot more than most of you who are complaining about him every chance you get.

Nor have I spent every waking moment for the last 10 - 15 years trying to figure out how to shut Hawthorne down, like RLD has. He has never forgiven the Carey's for providing summer racing when RLD tried to play hardball with the Illinois politicians by shutting down AP.

You make him sound like the Patron Saint of Illinois Racing. That's hogwash. RLD hardly ever makes a move that doesn't provide a direct benefit to himself. That "gazillion bucks" he "plowed into a new grandstand" -- a wild overspend that will never be recouped -- what, you think he built that as a tribute to YOU, the humble Illinois racing fan? You must be naive; the $200 million RLD spent on rebuilding AP is a tribute to...RLD. The rich spank it to their own personal balance sheet, and RLD's has a racetrack on it; HIS racetrack, and no one else's. How does a 200 million dollar racetrack plant benefit Illinois racing?  screwy

And you obviously don't know your history, what with your ignorant comments about Hawthorne; it's the only remaining link to the beginning of horse racing in Chicago. We might not have any racing here at all if it wasn't for that awful "plant and location" that you claim hasn't done anything for Chicago racing.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »

You're right--I see the light.  Having a first-class facility capable of running real Grade One races does nothing at all for IL racing.  I'm sure we could have hosted the Breeders Cup at Sportsman's Park.  And if you're trying to make a buck in the process, you're Satan.  Right.  Do you think the Carey's are somehow less out to make money?

As for racing quality, just check the form and see where Chris Block's good horses spend the winter.  Where's Mike Stidham in February?  Where's Catalano in March?  They sure ain't at Hawthorne.

I absolutely agree (w/ Chris and others) that there's a place for Hawthorne, and I'd hate to see it gone.  As I said earlier, if it went away, IL horsemen would be hurting.  But that doesn't make AP evil.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »

The guy has put time, money and hard work into Illinois racing--a whole lot more than most of you who are complaining about him every chance you get.

That's great. However he's also put a lot of time, money, and hard work into trying to gain a monopoly over Illinois racing at all costs so he can call all the shots, and you should understand that's the objection to some of the actions he takes, like the issues that came up today. As a racing patron, bettor, and taxpayer I don't want to be at the mercy of a Dick D. monopoly on Illinois racing, and I know a lot of horsemen don't want to be at his mercy.

faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:28 PM »

It's just competition.  The Carey's would be more than happy to run AP out of business if they could.  McDonald's would love to kill Burger King, and Apple wouldn't mind getting rid of Microsoft and Google and Facebook all at the same time.  So what?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »

It's just competition.  The Carey's would be more than happy to run AP out of business if they could.  McDonald's would love to kill Burger King, and Apple wouldn't mind getting rid of Microsoft and Google and Facebook all at the same time.  So what?

So those of us who like Burger King do not like it, and voice our complaints about McDonald's actions. Is that okay with you?

(There's a scary damn thought, only McDonald's to choose from. Sort of like if we were stuck only with the wholesome whitebread and utterly flavorless McRacing experience Arlington offers.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:53:50 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »

Neil Milbert's story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/horseracing/ct-spt-0926-horse-racing--20120926,0,4873767.story

Daily Herald story: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120925/sports/709259635/

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: