Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 04:08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arlington Stewards?  (Read 1897 times)
the exactorman

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »

Anyone see race #9 today at Arlington? The question is not whether the #6 with James Graham should have come down...he should have. He interfered with the #3 who caused the #1 to lose all chance. When #1 overcame that, he was interfered with AGAIN by #6. #6 also slightly brushed the #5 who finished 2nd. Stewards made the correct call: 5-1-9 with #6 off the board since he interfered with the 3.
How was all this just a jockey objection? it was so obvious, you wonder what they look at? 2 things In fairness to them: they made the right call (eventually), and at least they are better than NYRA stewards. If NYRA stewards miss something and there is JUST a jockey objection, out of "embarrassment" they leave the number up not to make themselves look bad....
Report to moderator   Logged
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »

I stopped watching after the 7th, I though Sanchez on Blocks runner should have come down.

The 4 carried out and interfered with the 6.

The stews sure have been inconsistent, a few years back after the Douglas incident they allowed 0 race riding.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »

Actually, in the 9th, #1 started the whole thing when he came out, pushing #3 out into #6.  Then the 6 came back in (which they generally do, just by instinct) and #3 got sandwiched by the 1, who was still coming out (which is why the trainer of the 3 claimed foul on both 1 and 6).  But what about the other races on the card?  How about the 7th, where Montana Kid knocked a horse half way to the grandstand and didn't come down?  And there was an earlier race where a horse came down that probably shouldn't have.

Multiple choice question.  How do the AP stewards decide foul claims?
A.  Roll dice.
B.  Read tea leaves.
C.  Consult Magic Eight Ball.
D.  Any of the above, as long as Chris Block never gets taken down.
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »

I will go with D
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »

Actually, in the 9th, #1 started the whole thing when he came out, pushing #3 out into #6.  Then the 6 came back in (which they generally do, just by instinct) and #3 got sandwiched by the 1, who was still coming out (which is why the trainer of the 3 claimed foul on both 1 and 6).  But what about the other races on the card?  How about the 7th, where Montana Kid knocked a horse half way to the grandstand and didn't come down?  And there was an earlier race where a horse came down that probably shouldn't have.

A.  Roll dice.
B.  Read tea leaves.
laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy
I agree!
The inconsistency is what really should bother many people, I know it does me!
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »

This whole meet has been ridiculous from the timer (or lack thereof) to the inconsistent stewards.  Im a box holder and big proponent of Arlington, but this meet has been amateur hour outside of Million day.
Earlstone

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »

I think the stewards decision in the 7th was  correct(yes,I did play Montana Kid to win). It certainly did appear that Yankee Dealer did bear out taking away the path of Montana Kid and subsequently forcing that one wide into the #6 Quietdetermination.

Talking about timer malfunctions.....yesterday's 9th is grossly incorrect. In 10 handtimings I couldn't come up with anything better than 1:52.09. The "official" time recorded was 1:47.97. Handtiming is a difficult task considering the camera angle and just a 14'runup in the 9th race.
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »

I think the stewards decision in the 7th was  correct(yes,I did play Montana Kid to win). It certainly did appear that Yankee Dealer did bear out taking away the path of Montana Kid and subsequently forcing that one wide into the #6 Quietdeterminatio

If you watch the head-on, there is noway anyone came into Montana Kid forcing him wide into the path of the #6
IMO.....if it was anyone else but a Block runner horse would have came down.

And yes I bet the #1 so was hoping for hope.
alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »

Well it happened again in today's 8th race. The winner(who was clearly much the best) came over at the top of the stretch and cut off the 3rd place horse at the top of the stretch causing her to steady and check, which was pretty obvious. But the stewards ruling was that it didn't affect the outcome of the race.  What? The horse only missed 2nd by a length. Clearly the interference cost this horse more than 1 length. What a bunch of crooks!  These guys are making rulings based on who the participant's are and not what happened on the track. 
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »

Sorry that I did not see this thread earlier & started my own.

Just glad to know I am not the only one who is baffled by the lack of consistency at AP
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »

Alydar I agree, the horse was running second and was shut off by the winner and ended up third,Granted this horse or the horse that got up for second would not have won, but the point was that he should have been placed behind the horse he shut off. Stewards are there to solve this , not become a part of it, Bad Call  ( did not effect the finish of the race) let the AP season end
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »

Alydar I agree, the horse was running second and was shut off by the winner and ended up third,Granted this horse or the horse that got up for second would not have won, but the point was that he should have been placed behind the horse he shut off. Stewards are there to solve this , not become a part of it, Bad Call  ( did not effect the finish of the race) let the AP season end

Aren't the same stewards working at Hawthorne?
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »

Aren't the same stewards working at Hawthorne?
What they are constantly inconsistent with is the premise/rule of whether the infraction cost a horse a placing. If they were bad but consistent, that is almost fine. I am also Ok with letting riders ride and not calling ticky tack stuff.
To answer your point, I certainly hope Hawthorne does NOT have the same stewards...
amtino06

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 10:41:35 PM »

I don't know how many objections there were this weekend, but it was a ridiculous amount an I'd love to know why. This isn't some bizarre coincidence, I've seen crap all meet that has waranted objections or inquiries and nothing has happened. I've even heard several horsemen go as far to say that they never know what the stew's will do and it depends on who the obj/inquiry is on. I also heard that any horsemen/jock can make an objection, and it doesn't cost anything to claim foul anymore. It's a free for all.
alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »

I don't know how many objections there were this weekend, but it was a ridiculous amount an I'd love to know why. This isn't some bizarre coincidence, I've seen crap all meet that has waranted objections or inquiries and nothing has happened. I've even heard several horsemen go as far to say that they never know what the stew's will do and it depends on who the obj/inquiry is on. I also heard that any horsemen/jock can make an objection, and it doesn't cost anything to claim foul anymore. It's a free for all.
There were three yesterday and one today. I believe all were warrented. The issue is the reasoning behind the decisions to take down or leave a horse up. The stewards do whatever they want and hide behind the "didn't affect the outcome of the race".  In today's race the 3rd place horse would have finished 2nd if not for the interference by the winner, and the stewards are flat out lying when they claim otherwise. People who bet the 12 to place or in exactas had money stolen from them today. Also, did anyone notice the Eddie Arroyo family in the winners circle after the race? Not sure if they have any connection to the winner or why they were there but it could have been a reason why there was no DQ.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 02:51:23 AM »

There were three yesterday and one today. I believe all were warrented. The issue is the reasoning behind the decisions to take down or leave a horse up. The stewards do whatever they want and hide behind the "didn't affect the outcome of the race".  In today's race the 3rd place horse would have finished 2nd if not for the interference by the winner, and the stewards are flat out lying when they claim otherwise. People who bet the 12 to place or in exactas had money stolen from them today. Also, did anyone notice the Eddie Arroyo family in the winners circle after the race? Not sure if they have any connection to the winner or why they were there but it could have been a reason why there was no DQ.
I was at the track today. While I do not know the Eddie Arroyo family, I do know everyone was in the winners circle taking pictures and making presentations. The outcome didnt matter to me but I curiously watched as I sat outside. My feeling was "they did all this, and now they are going to take the horse down?" ...never
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »

The bottom line is this "it didn't cost a horse a position bullshit" is a license to leave up any horse they want and a license to take down any horse they want....This should only even be considered in the last few strides of the race where whether a horse was cost a position can be determined as a matter of fact and not conjecture....Stewards are in the booth to decide fouls and not to be handicappers and assess horses chances with a half a mile to run....Anywhere but right at the wire a foul is a foul and the horses should be taken down....I don't want stewards doing any handicapping......But if any of you are football fans (And I'm sure a ton are).....The last thing you want is "replacement stewards".....I have literally boycotted watching any games until the refs are back......Im afraid I might have a stroke the way my blood pressure fluctuates
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:35:09 AM by HarnessFanDE » Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »

If this is the same group of Stewards that worked last year..They took down a Catalano Turf horse for brushing a horse out of the GATE!!!

Yes, the gate of a 1 mile turf race...No inquiry from the stews, No objection from the jockey...but an objection from the trainer who was watching the race in the paddock.
Figured he would roll the dice with these goof balls that sit at the top of AP & it actually worked. screwy

My guess that if the trainer was not Proctor, (or Chris Block) that horse would have been placed third in an instant.

AP is a JOKE  only one more week  better stock up on PARKCORN for the winter
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »

I went up for the races on Saturday and was amazed at the length of time it took (TWICE!) to make their decisions.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

I was at the track today. While I do not know the Eddie Arroyo family, I do know everyone was in the winners circle taking pictures and making presentations. The outcome didnt matter to me but I curiously watched as I sat outside. My feeling was "they did all this, and now they are going to take the horse down?" ...never

Was the Eddie Arroyo family in the picture because they knew the connections, or was it just one of those special races where outsiders get in the picture no matter who wins?

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Table Gambler
If you mess with the BULL you will get the HORNS!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

I stopped watching after the 7th, I though Sanchez on Blocks runner should have come down.

The 4 carried out and interfered with the 6.

The stews sure have been inconsistent, a few years back after the Douglas incident they allowed 0 race riding.
Thorton shoved his head into Sanchez horse that caused the bump by both. Thorton was trying to pin Sanchez instead of trying to win the race. Watch the head on and you will see?
Table Gambler
If you mess with the BULL you will get the HORNS!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:25 AM »

A.  Roll dice.
B.  Read tea leaves.
The stewards got it right. Jimmy as usual ridding out of control came over and bumped the 3 who then bumped the 1 which made it look like a sandwich then as Jimmy went on he came over in the path of the 1 horse. Definite claim of foul and the 6 was rightly taken down. The head on replay shows it all.
frankiefish721

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »

They have had the same 3 stewards for the past 10 years or so, One does harness racing at Maywood on Thur and Friday. Mr Kosiba is about 80 years old, Mr Morgan does harness raceing also. and Mr Linderman watches the monitors. This is what I was TOLD BY SOME ONE!
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »

They have had the same 3 stewards for the past 10 years or so, One does harness racing at Maywood on Thur and Friday. Mr Kosiba is about 80 years old, Mr Morgan does harness raceing also. and Mr Linderman watches the monitors. This is what I was TOLD BY SOME ONE!
Why is it that around the country at many tracks stewards are 80+ years old???
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »

Why is it that around the country at many tracks stewards are 80+ years old???

It's how long you have to watch races before you know what you're actually seeing.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: