Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 23, 2014, 02:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another New York Times article in the series  (Read 774 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: September 21, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/at-the-track-racing-economics-collide-with-veterinarians-oath.html?pagewanted=all
Report to moderator   Logged
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »

Really good read!

It certainly validates clockerbob's assertions.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »

Get rid of the private vets at the tracks and training centers.  I've said it before at this forum. These vets are the enablers.

This article coincides with an article I noted at this forum that was written by a vet for a vet periodical:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Veterinary+Equine/Panel-questions-drugs-in-horse-racing/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/781984

One other thing about vets, they are in favor of horse slaughter.  I was surprised to find that out because there is nothing humane about horse slaughter. I would consider it torture and animal cruelty.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:41:35 PM »

Just understand that Joe Drape is on a crusade, and like all crusaders, his views are not exactly balanced.  He's a good reporter and a good writer, but there's no balance in any of his stories.  It's like asking Rush Limbaugh (or Keith Olbermann) for a fair, factual evaluation of the presidential candidates.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »

One other thing about vets, they are in favor of horse slaughter.  I was surprised to find that out because there is nothing humane about horse slaughter. I would consider it torture and animal cruelty.

AVMA is in favor of horse slaughter. That is an association that has not polled their members before coming up with that position. The track vets in Illinois are definitely against slaughter. Many vets nationwide are against horse slaughter.

One thing you have to remember about AVMA is that there are far more cattle vets than there are horse vets.

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »

The market for horse meat is going to dry up in July, 2013 when the EU's new regulations regarding drugs given to horses take effect. I had seen this in a blog regarding a rescue:

"And we wonder what will happen when the convenient dumping ground of the auction and the kill buyer disappears next year, July 31, 2013, when the new EU regulations take effect and none of our horses will be eligible for slaughter-for-human-consumption as they will not meet EU food safety standards." I've often wondered how anyone could eat horse meat, let alone horse meat full of drugs.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »

I sure hope you are right, Mary Ann.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 11:20:14 PM »

The market for horse meat is going to dry up in July, 2013 when the EU's new regulations regarding drugs given to horses take effect. I had seen this in a blog regarding a rescue:

"And we wonder what will happen when the convenient dumping ground of the auction and the kill buyer disappears next year, July 31, 2013, when the new EU regulations take effect and none of our horses will be eligible for slaughter-for-human-consumption as they will not meet EU food safety standards." I've often wondered how anyone could eat horse meat, let alone horse meat full of drugs.

It will probably just increase the demand for all-natural Nevada mustangs.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Epsom Derby

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »

Imagine if human doctors had to deal with similar scenarios.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »

Terry, that's why we need to have Congress pass the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, S. 1176 introduced by Sens. Mary Landrieu, D-La., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and H.R. 2966 introduced by Reps. Dan Burton, R-Ind., and Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., to prevent horse slaughter plants from opening in the U.S. and stop the export of American horses for the purpose of slaughter in Canada and Mexico.

I had contacted all of my reps in Congress about it and in one's reply, I was told they were considering not voting for it because the vets were for it and gave the impression it was humane.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »

I'm not for horse slaughter, but how come nobody cares about slaughtering the cows, lambs, turkeys, chickens. and so on?
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »

I'm not for horse slaughter, but how come nobody cares about slaughtering the cows, lambs, turkeys, chickens. and so on?

Somebody does - PETA.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 09:48:26 AM »

They don't race.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

It will probably just increase the demand for all-natural Nevada mustangs.
You are correct las Vegas needs water so the mustangs will have to go and that is the bloody truth!

200 mustangs are destined for roundup real soon they have dis regarded a petition with 5400 signatures in another state.

The Vet from UCDavis is one hell of a human being !
So many owners are so tired of the drugs and what it has done too horses we must stop it!

One other thought on this , what about all the paper work that is forged and those race horses too go to slaughter , and used for human consumption?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
clockerbob

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »

These veterinarians also have a powerful financial incentive to prescribe drugs: they are both doctor and drugstore, and so the more drugs they prescribe, the more money they make. Selling and administering drugs, in fact, accounts for most of their income.

In 2010, Dr. Phillip R. Kapraun kept his Illinois veterinary license after he, too, was fined for possessing snake venom at Balmoral Park south of Chicago.   

In an interview, Dr. Kapraun said he had administered 20,000 doses of the substance to horses over the years and continued to do so at off-track facilities, arguing that it heals tendon injuries quickly and safely. He acknowledged that a horse might benefit more from months away from competing. “The economics of horse racing does not allow for that. Horse racing is on the decline. If a horse needed a year to heal up, they would go to the killers up in Canada or Mexico,” he said, referring to slaughterhouse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/us/at-the-track-racing-economics-collide-with-veterinarians-oath.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »

I cannot tell you how sick and tired owners get of trainers making the vet their damn partners. It must end.
Hell you make 60 thousand and you pay damn near 32, in training and another 28 to the damn vet. Then you still owe taxes.
Lets face it we all know the trainers use the damn vets on their horses to and the owner  pays the bill on theirs. Oh hell a hole nother issue.

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 10:57:22 PM »

I just want to say too I know so many vets and vet students and not one of them support horse slaughter !
So who ever thinks for one minute the vets in Northern  California and those attending U C Davis support horse slaughter are full of prunes!

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »

Fuzzy, here's the statement of the American Association of Equine Practitioners supporting horse slaughter.  Unfortunately, horse slaughter is not humane. Euthansia would be humane, although I believe retirement and retraining is the most acceptable.  What is so surprising is the AAEP supports horse slaughter for human consumption with all of the drugs these horses are given. Reports I've read of what horses go through when their fate is slaughter is absolutely horrific and I will say it again, there is nothing humane about it.

http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/AAEP_Position_HR857.pdf
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:32 AM »

Here's a vet group that is against slaughter:
http://www.vetsforequinewelfare.org/
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 03:45:05 AM »

I shudder to think of all the money some bettors are making by having this 'vet info' on the morning of the races. Could you imagine being a 'friend' to one of these high profile vets who can tell you which horses to toss out and which ones to bet on?

They ought to put the vets name in the program next to the trainer and when the trainer gets a 'positive' so does the vet. If the trainer gets a 60 day suspension, so does his vet.

Trainers get more credit for wins in the program than they do for saving their owner money thru vet bills. When an owner gives a horse to a 25% trainer, do they think that the trainer in question is going to save them money? No, that trainer is going to throw the kitchen sink at the horse and charge the owner an arm and a leg to win. You dont win for free. If you want to cut costs, you use the 9% trainer, if you want to spend whatever it takes to win, you use the 25% guy.

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »

hungry, can you imagine how much money bettors are losing because they have no knowledge of the drugs being used.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »

hungry, can you imagine how much money bettors are losing because they have no knowledge of the drugs being used.

Mary Ann That is the exact point I ve tried to make over and over again we are cheating them as an owner I for one feel they should know ever damn medication my horse has had and for what, ever time his shoes are changed or gets a pad bar she and how often and the most important thing is ever time a horses joint is injected.
Any one who asked me about my horse I tell them the truth.
When they ask me if I bet them I tell them I always bet my horses if I cant bet them well then they had better be scratched.

hungry

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »

Yes, its a staggering amount. The problem with drugs in racehorses is what a friend said to me many moons ago. He said "They know, and you're guessing"

Its an incredible edge to be giving up, too bad neither one of us will live long enough to see America adopt some of the much more strict policies of other nations.

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »

Fuzzy, here's the statement of the American Association of Equine Practitioners supporting horse slaughter.  Unfortunately, horse slaughter is not humane. Euthansia would be humane, although I believe retirement and retraining is the most acceptable.  What is so surprising is the AAEP supports horse slaughter for human consumption with all of the drugs these horses are given. Reports I've read of what horses go through when their fate is slaughter is absolutely horrific and I will say it again, there is nothing humane about it.

http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/AAEP_Position_HR857.pdf

Mary Ann I couldnot agree with you more!

Every one who is for it should have to spend a week working in one of those hell holes especially the heads of the AAEP.
Bet not one of the glorified DMV quackenbushes have spent 30 seconds at a slaughter plant or made the trip with those horses or checked the cogins or the brands or tattoos.
Another thought also AAEP is a government associateshit isn't it?
Well so is BLM! One has to think they grease each other or would be refused grants funding and big high dollar salaries they may loose if they didn't approve.
The point Ms Stark makes is also a very objective way of the entire picture of slaughter from their perception with the over view of others animals but it sure as hell doesn't make it any sweeter or kinder to other animals.

JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 01:32:17 AM »

Overall, I am opposed to horse slaughter. Yet, the first thing I would do is abolish the transport of horses over thousands of miles on trailers that were not designed for horses to Mexico. They have little to no over-sight down there. That needs to stop first.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »

Overall, I am opposed to horse slaughter. Yet, the first thing I would do is abolish the transport of horses over thousands of miles on trailers that were not designed for horses to Mexico. They have little to no over-sight down there. That needs to stop first.

JoeMama if you go to animals angels sight they tell you every time those rigs have been sighted one rig wasnt even a week and they were up and going.

Did you read the Vegas Jay put up today 2010 over 130,000 USA horses went to slaughter in Canada and Mexico its sickening. I would bet most of them were race horses well over half.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: