Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 02:34:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paynter for Vox Populi Award  (Read 3257 times)
Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

Marvelous. What a story.

Report to moderator   Logged

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »

This is a really nice story that appeared on the Home Page. Paynter will be retired to WinStar Farm after Breeder's Cup. Elliott Walden is the President and CEO of WinStar's racing operations. Years ago, Walden was a guest trainer at a Breakfast at Arlington and he gave me the impression he was a nice country boy, bordering on a country bumpkin. At that time, I could see him living in Mayberry. I am so glad to see he has become so successful. He really is a very nice person.

Good luck, Paynter, and always stay safe and healthy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/horseracing/la-sp-dwyre-20131029,0,5295854.column
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:55:48 AM by Mary Ann » Report to moderator   Logged
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »

Last year, Paynter won the Vox Populi Award and is also nominated for this year's award. This award is not like an Eclipse for the best horse but is:

“Horse racing already has established avenues to award outstanding accomplishments, and we certainly should honor superior performance. But achievement can be measured in many ways, and fans occasionally feel a disconnect when the horses who most impacted the public are not recognized through the traditional equine awards. The industry is long overdue in annually acknowledging the star horse who brings the most excitement and attention to the sport.  It is my hope that the Secretariat “Vox Populi” Award will be an honor that reflects the heart and soul of racing and will help build upon the devotion the public has for a horse they love.”

~ Penny Chenery, 2010

Paynter's comeback this year and ending up in the Classic, in my opinion, is the exceptional story this year. If anyone cares to vote for Paynter or one of the other nominees, you can do it here:

http://www.secretariat.com/fan-club/vox-populi-award/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:39:40 PM by Mary Ann » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: