Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 22, 2014, 06:00:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best answer contest----Topic Shoeing.....  (Read 2694 times)
Hardline

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

Best answer contest----Topic Shoeing.....

Winner gets a $25.00  visa gift card

3 questions

1. Shoeing above the knees (pacer)

2. Shoeing below the knees  (pacer)

3. Shoe away from crossfire  (pacer again)

Best answer wins!!!

Ends 8/31/2012  12:00 am CST

Good luck!!     trophy
Report to moderator   Logged
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

I prefer John Simpson Sr.'s answer for a knee knocker.
"Trade for a dog, then shoot the dog"

Or Doug Ackerman's answer for a bad gaited horse.
Start rubbing glue on it's hips.
What will that do?
Keeps the hip number from falling off.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »

I prefer John Simpson Sr.'s answer for a knee knocker.
"Trade for a dog, then shoot the dog"

Or Doug Ackerman's answer for a bad gaited horse.
Start rubbing glue on it's hips.
What will that do?
Keeps the hip number from falling off.

Looking in u r so funny! Every time I need a good laugh I pull up this thread and read your post!

But I really want to know the answer to hard lines question but I'm so afraid yours maybe the winner!

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »

waht do you want to know
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »

#1  Raise angle or bar shoe
#2  Lower angle, use crease or grab like a queens plate or borium to lengthen stride
#3  Widen them out...various methods, including shaving a little off the outside

dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »

pius.... just to set the record straight   u treat the rear end just yhe opposite of the front end .....to widen a horse behind..lower him to the inside...not shave alittle off the outside ...shame on you for giving bad advice
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

pius.... just to set the record straight   u treat the rear end just yhe opposite of the front end .....to widen a horse behind..lower him to the inside...not shave alittle off the outside ...shame on you for giving bad advice

Had a mental image of the foot upsidedown in my hand,,,explained it wrong...my bag. We all get the idea, right?  No shame here buddy.

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »

IMHO,
Just a thought to think about before you do all this lowering of the feet either inside or outside on either front or back feet.

Picture the foot and leg as a stack of six children's play blocks.
Some long blocks some short all stacked on top of each other.
Now take the bottom block and make it uneven.
What does that do to the stability of the whole stack (leg)?
What does it do to every joint?

You might also try putting a wedge in your own shoes, and see how long you can walk before your ankles, knees, hips, and back all scream bloody murder.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »

You guys please dont stop I love reading this.

Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »

IMHO,
Just a thought to think about before you do all this lowering of the feet either inside or outside on either front or back feet.

Picture the foot and leg as a stack of six children's play blocks.
Some long blocks some short all stacked on top of each other.
Now take the bottom block and make it uneven.
What does that do to the stability of the whole stack (leg)?
What does it do to every joint?

You might also try putting a wedge in your own shoes, and see how long you can walk before your ankles, knees, hips, and back all scream bloody murder.

In a perfect world, we shoe to conformation and move along.  I feel just like you do every time I raise/lower angle or make a toe adjustment.  What does that do to the stability of the whole stack?  The "it's not the same"  arguement is not applicable here. Put a wedge in your heel and see how you roll.  It's done by degrees...we both know this.

dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »

we have been shoeing horses this way for ever...and they lasted much longer then than now. if you dont correct the problem then the horse cant go fast enough to keep around(unless ur fuzzy and money not a big deal) so u do waht u have to do to be competative
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »

we have been shoeing horses this way for ever...and they lasted much longer then than now. if you dont correct the problem then the horse cant go fast enough to keep around(unless ur fuzzy and money not a big deal) so u do waht u have to do to be competative

No wrong Mr Crane I'm on a budget.
Know they are a investment like a long term much like a long term CD account  that should be much better with age.
I'm just not into the masproduction and use them like leased car with nitrous oxide.(Blows out the head gaskets) but then it doesn't matter cause its just a rental car. Wink
Mr Crane I Love reading you. I can tell you are a sharp trainer who makes money for his owners and its a pleasure to read your post.

Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »

Up to and including the methods outlined above. Basic shoeing.

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »

Up to and including the methods outlined above. Basic shoeing.
How is that basic shoeing?

Im really trying to understand cause to me that is not basic so Im missing something as usual.

Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:54 PM »

How is that basic shoeing?

Im really trying to understand cause to me that is not basic so Im missing something as usual.

When a horse interferes you make adjustments..switching shoes alone is not always the answer. That is basic. Taking off the front or behind of a hoof is no worse than taking a 16th or so off a side.  Same with squaring toes, ect.....the building block theory is a great story, but is in direct conflict with what is dealt with when a horse gets into himself sometimes.  You think I invented these methods myself?  Many gifted, talented horses, to many to list, have been adjusted accordingly. We have placed weights on the toes, used hinged quarter boots filled with lead, ect...as well. Nothing unusual in days gone by.....horses tend to be much better gaited these days, but this is not unusual.

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »

When a horse interferes you make adjustments..switching shoes alone is not always the answer. That is basic. Taking off the front or behind of a hoof is no worse than taking a 16th or so off a side.  Same with squaring toes, ect.....the building block theory is a great story, but is in direct conflict with what is dealt with when a horse gets into himself sometimes.  You think I invented these methods myself?  Many gifted, talented horses, to many to list, have been adjusted accordingly. We have placed weights on the toes, used hinged quarter boots filled with lead, ect...as well. Nothing unusual in days gone by.....horses tend to be much better gaited these days, but this is not unusual.

Thank you very much.

dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 07:10:42 AM »

soho is rite on ...years back you had to be apretty astute horseman to make a horse trot(toe lengh,angles ,weight ,etc) how the pretty much trot when they with the ground..just look at some of the trainers that had horses in the hambo the last couple of years. Fuzzy basic shoing is not just nailing on 4 shoes hell then i could do it!!! please just believe me make what changes you need to make on ur horse to get him to go as clean as possible..u will be much better off than letting him hit from his ***hole to his appetite..I HAVE SPOKEN!!!
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »

soho is rite on ...years back you had to be apretty astute horseman to make a horse trot(toe lengh,angles ,weight ,etc) how the pretty much trot when they with the ground..just look at some of the trainers that had horses in the hambo the last couple of years. Fuzzy basic shoing is not just nailing on 4 shoes hell then i could do it!!! please just believe me make what changes you need to make on ur horse to get him to go as clean as possible..u will be much better off than letting him hit from his ***hole to his appetite..I HAVE SPOKEN!!!

You think that might make him a wind sucker if not tackled properly? laughing guy

You do know I kidding with you Mr Crane I would have used Ahole to tongue tie!

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »

Fact is none of the horses ever read "the book"....Ive been told all these "we've always done it like this" stories....problem is, the horses dont care. They just want to travel as freely as possible, and also a fact is that MANY knee knockers have gone REAL fast and made lots of money. Simple truth, shoeing is always trial and error and you just hope that they are easy to shoe and not difficult.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »

mel  i dont know if there is a blacksmith in the world that would shoe for you...saying it trial and error is a real smack in the face
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »

mel  i dont know if there is a blacksmith in the world that would shoe for you...saying it trial and error is a real smack in the face

I hope youre trying to be funny. I know all the obvious "techniques" but truthfully, if one is hard to shoe, you try until you get it right.....also, any blacksmith will shoe for anyone....as long as they bring  dollar dollar.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: