Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 22, 2014, 08:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ill bred riccolo  (Read 1660 times)
zoot

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »

riccolo, ill bred and undefeated this year as a 3yo, sold to norwegian interests by walt paisley.

entered sat. nite  in open trot for hambletonian eligibles at the big m for new tr/dr trond smedshammer
Report to moderator   Logged
Dan Quaid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »

My brother, Walter and Doug were the only 3 that bred to Northern Kid.  I really hope that he does well in the Hambo.  Wouldn't it be something for a Illinois bred from a stallion that nobody wanted wins the biggest trot race?  Walter has a full brother to Riccolo that I hope he keeps his nuts on.   
zoot

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »

as friends and fans this turned out well. butch got the cash and we get to see how good the colt is.

hes a good colt....looking forward to watching on sat nite
zoot

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »

appearently some took ill bred as NOT WELL bred. i meant it to be short for illinois bred
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »

My brother, Walter and Doug were the only 3 that bred to Northern Kid.    

Dan,
Your above post has me confused. (not that hard to do).
Doug I believe bought the horse in 2007.
Since then the horse has bred 68 mares from several breeders.
The problem is that only 9 of his foals have raced, and one of them on the pace.
Pathway report
2008 bred 30 mares   18 registered foals 7 have raced
2009 bred 18 mares    9 registered foals  2 have raced
2010 bred 15 mares    8 registered foals
2011 bred  5 mares

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Dan Quaid

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »

Dan,
Your above post has me confused. (not that hard to do).
Doug I believe bought the horse in 2007.
Since then the horse has bred 68 mares from several breeders.
The problem is that only 9 of his foals have raced, and one of them on the pace.
Pathway report
2008 bred 30 mares   18 registered foals 7 have raced
2009 bred 18 mares    9 registered foals  2 have raced
2010 bred 15 mares    8 registered foals
2011 bred  5 mares

Doug and my brother pushed that stallion and did multiple mailings. They advertised everywhere.   Of the 68 mares bred I am willing to bet 5 probably paid the stud fee.  Doug bought a bunch of mares and my brother did too.  The breeding game is tough.  We bred Maevey Gravy with Kem standardbreds and bought her back for 2800.  I know more people bred to him but the people that were exited to breed to her where Doug, my brother and Walter

Now he at Peninsula and will get more mares and people in Illinois will be sorry he is gone
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:21:53 PM by Dan Quaid » Report to moderator   Logged
Illinois sucks

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »

Hey Dan, many other reasons probably go into breeding to a unknown, namely a shit program.  Especially for trotters and the two breeders in the state Walker and Flacco have majority of the trotting mares.  Walker has his three trotting studs with Flacco having Bands Gold Chip.  There is just not enough quality trotting mares around.  Also once they reach their racing age and aren't stake horses there isn't anywhere to race in Illinois because Doc hates writing trot races especially 6 horse fields or he lumps them in with older maidens.  Hope Northern Kid does well in Kentucky while Riccolo and Maevey continue on as 3 year olds.  Also Dan don't forget there are two pieces to the breeding process and I checked with our buddy Riccolo Dam is very well bred so NK shouldn't be given all the credit.  See you at Walkers in a month if your heading down.  Hopefully we will have better luck with Bull Spreader Thursday night.  Good racing.
Hardline

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:36:46 AM »

What did the horse bring??$$$
LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:25 AM »

I think it would really be an accomplishment for an Illinois trotter to do well considering how limited the Illinois breeding program has become . Is this the same ownership that purchased a Powers Farm horse a few years ago . I think the trainer listed was Monique Bernardi . The horses name was Southern Rockettop if my memory serves me correctly . I'm not sure that Physic Spirit bred trotter earned much money racing in the united states anyways . I think the horse sold for over 150k and only raced a few times for the new connection .
Illinois sucks

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 07:19:44 AM »

LT, Southern Rocketop made a shade over 700k.  Won 23 of 43 races posted marks of 52.2 at 3 and 4.  Won the Land of Lincoln as a 2 yr old and raced against Muscle Hill in a couple of the grand circuit races.  After being sold Erv Miller raced the horse 5 or 6 times without much success.  I believe the horse never raced over seas. 
Dan Quaid

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »

Hey Dan, many other reasons probably go into breeding to a unknown, namely a shit program.  Especially for trotters and the two breeders in the state Walker and Flacco have majority of the trotting mares.  Walker has his three trotting studs with Flacco having Bands Gold Chip.  There is just not enough quality trotting mares around.  Also once they reach their racing age and aren't stake horses there isn't anywhere to race in Illinois because Doc hates writing trot races especially 6 horse fields or he lumps them in with older maidens.  Hope Northern Kid does well in Kentucky while Riccolo and Maevey continue on as 3 year olds.  Also Dan don't forget there are two pieces to the breeding process and I checked with our buddy Riccolo Dam is very well bred so NK shouldn't be given all the credit.  See you at Walkers in a month if your heading down.  Hopefully we will have better luck with Bull Spreader Thursday night.  Good racing.
Hope bull spreader saga has been figured out too.....see you at Walkers for sure.  Good points you make.....
LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »

IS , Whatever became of southern rockettops trainer bernardi and was she a part owner of the horse . I see these days Hansen is listed as the trainer of several trotters . I was in Springfield and witnessed Rockettop just destroy a nice field of trotters . He seemed to be a real headcase until Carpenter turned him to the gate . When the gate started the roll he just went balls out ( Oops he was a gelding ) a went to the front end . Carpenter appeared to be along for the ride and fractions were blazing in many starts .
Illinois sucks

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »

Not sure I got into the game when Rocketop was a three yr old and R. Taylor was the trainer.
zoot

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »

i see they made riccolo the ML favorite saturday at the meds, 2/1
LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:05:27 AM »

I S , I'm sure Bernardi was trainer for a majority of horses career and Taylor Also did quite well Rockettop . Looking forward to the Riccolo race and hope he does well . crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers
Illinois sucks

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »

Your right Bernardi was the trainer i believe the horses whole two year old season.  Won the Land of Lincoln at 2.
TAURUS BOMBER

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »

Your right Bernardi was the trainer i believe the horses whole two year old season.  Won the Land of Lincoln at 2.

what happen to the poor lady
her daddy still training down in michigan
momo

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »

the momo says price was between $250-300k.
deadly breeze

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »

the momo says price was between $250-300k.

good for Butch!!!
LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »

TAURUS , I recall Bernardi was battling cancer while training horses . The media did a story on how she and Southern Rockettop had bonded . A few months later the horse was in a new barn and Bernardi was no longer training horses . I'm not sure if it was health related or owner just decided drama was too much .
Seems these days Hansen without Morgan or Bernardi hasn't had a lot of horses in stakes races .
zoot

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »

i noticed tonites 3rd at meds is a consolation for hambo colts. no riccolo. i would something went amiss in the q race. he really stopped badly in that
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: