Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 07:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Light's On, But Nobody's Home  (Read 3754 times)
njhorseman

« on: November 13, 2005, 12:59:20 AM »

I'm curious what you Chicago boys think of Tom Kelley of the Balmoral publicity department. Check out his press release about the "$148,000 +" superfecta in Saturday night's American National race.

http://www.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=12750&z=1

Is he dumb or does he think we are? There was only about $20,000 in the pool, and it looks like the "real superfecta payout¬  was about 7 grand hit on dime tickets. How can he write that the super paid $148,000?¬  Huh

Report to moderator   Logged
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 01:07:12 AM »

I'm curious what you Chicago boys think of Tom Kelley of the Balmoral publicity department. Check out his press release about the "$148,000 +" superfecta in Saturday night's American National race.

Is he dumb or does he think we are? There was only about $20,000 in the pool, and it looks like the "real superfecta payout  was about 7 grand hit on dime tickets. How can he write that the super paid $148,000?  Huh

Jesus Christ.

That's all I got.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Richard Breth

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:10:11 AM »

Jesus Christ.

That's all I got.

All you got was $148,000?

EW you are the king. Nice couple weeks.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 01:16:21 AM »

All you got was $148,000?

EW you are the king. Nice couple weeks.

Ha.  I wish.  It one thing for a patron to make this mistake, and I understand it being shown on the monitor (because the software is tough to customize), but to have this in an article is total BULLCRAP.

Best,
EW

emp

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:20:56 AM »

Numbers talk and people lie, but this is downright ludacris.

All in the name of publicity.
[/size][/color]

Hope they don't fine him another $500 for the false press release. Looks like the work of the HAwthorne .10 Super payouts from the Summer.
Richard Breth

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »

Numbers talk and people lie, but this is downright ludacris.

Ludacris. Great band. If you like that.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 01:39:10 AM »

I guess it became uncool to spell the word correctly after he got popular.   Tongue

Best,
EW

swoodall

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 03:16:19 AM »

Lying about payouts and estimated pools for carryovers are the standard in Chicago.  They will have a 4-6k carryover from a pick4 pool and then estimate 40k for the following race night even during the middle of the week!  Do they think we are stupid enough to spend 35k chasing a 5k carryover or do they think because they estimate an insanely high pool size that horse players can be fooled into playing more than his\her  normal bet?  Tonight the pk9 pool was less than Thursday's pk9 pool!  Why?  With a 28k carryover,   using JJ's calculator the estimated pk9 pool should have been 200k!!!
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 03:47:43 AM »

Lying about payouts and estimated pools for carryovers are the standard in Chicago.  They will have a 4-6k carryover from a pick4 pool and then estimate 40k for the following race night even during the middle of the week!  Do they think we are stupid enough to spend 35k chasing a 5k carryover or do they think because they estimate an insanely high pool size that horse players can be fooled into playing more than his\her  normal bet?  Tonight the pk9 pool was less than Thursday's pk9 pool!  Why?  With a 28k carryover,   using JJ's calculator the estimated pk9 pool should have been 200k!!!

Steve,

They've hit EVERY SINGLE P4 guarantee except one, and that one was the night that IL was in the NCAA semi-finals (I think).  It doesn't sound like it would happen, but it in fact does!

Most of the time, they'll get about 9-13k for a non-carryover P4, which rolls $5-8k -- and then there's normally about DOUBLE bet into the next one 18-25k, for a pool around 25-35k AT LEAST.

By the way, Mike A does the estimates, and HE KNOWS THE GAME!

Best,
EW

John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 09:48:05 AM »

Guys,

Tom Kelley is a good guy who is another fallen victim of the Johnston's tangled web of deceit and lies. They have Tom doing every job imaginable to make sure they get their moneys worth out of him. Understand that that the Johnston's are really some rotten mother fuc##rs.

Edward, I am surprised at your criticism of Tom because it is no different that what Scott E. did for you last week when you hit the pick 6. Scott could not wait to post on the USTA website that one lucky winner hit the pick 6 when he knew all along that it was you and a Chicago based connection. These publicity directors are just that, publicity directors. They are paid to cover the sport and step right to the line with attracting interest and new fans.

Why do you guys think Scott got the hell out of here? I mean really think about it for a minute. Scott's family is here, he grew up here, and he loves Chicago, so, why would he leave Chicago? Because of Langley and the Johnston's cheap ways and slave labor, that’s why. Enough said.

Don't blame Tom Kelley because you won't find anyone left who is at least sympathetic and compassionate about the treatment of the horsemen like Tom. He is all right in my book and always willing to help out a horsemen when none of these other cocksu##ers will.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:08:25 AM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
TC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 10:08:51 AM »

Time to disagree here.  Tom Kelley & Co. have made horrible decisions as a steward here for weeks.  Last night they took 15 or 20 minutes trying to decide whether or not to take down a horse who A) ran through a break and B) went off course.  The ruling is simple : NJ horseman could have placed Patriotic Dream properly with one or two glances at the replay monitor.  The clowns upstairs - 20 minutes.  How many "trial balloon" calls to drivers and trainers were made making sure none of their buddies were going to miss out on a big score if they did the right thing ?  IMO the horse should have been placed last, but 6th is no difference as far as purse goes.  Take into account that Maywood is a joke vis a vis payout figures and misplacings and incorrect payoffs, and there should be a purging of those supervisory departments.  Just another group that needs to be drug tested to ensure public confidence...and from what I hear...TC 
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 10:15:49 AM »

Time to disagree here.  Tom Kelley & Co. have made horrible decisions as a steward here for weeks.  Last night they took 15 or 20 minutes trying to decide whether or not to take down a horse who A) ran through a break and B) went off course.  The ruling is simple : NJ horseman could have placed Patriotic Dream properly with one or two glances at the replay monitor.  The clowns upstairs - 20 minutes.  How many "trial balloon" calls to drivers and trainers were made making sure none of their buddies were going to miss out on a big score if they did the right thing ?  IMO the horse should have been placed last, but 6th is no difference as far as purse goes.  Take into account that Maywood is a joke vis a vis payout figures and misplacings and incorrect payoffs, and there should be a purging of those supervisory departments.  Just another group that needs to be drug tested to ensure public confidence...and from what I hear...TC 
Timmy:

Damn right it's time to disagree. Tom was not a steward last night, Ben Wessels was. He had no control over what happened and he no longer works at Maywood either. Time to point the finger in the right direction and not at Tom Kelley.

I know what you are saying about drug testing the stewards and I have all the confidence in Tom passing, when he is acting presiding judge. The same cannot be said of the other stewards, but I'm not naming names. There have been past issues of a certain steward who developed a cocaine addiction, although I believe that he cleaned his act up, again, no names from me on this one.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
TC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »

I was refering to the screwups at both track, where Tom is a member of the steward's crew.  They all should be replaced.  Maywood has been just as bad, and possibly more dangerous to the image of the sport with the incorrect payouts and such.  You are correct Joe in that Tom shouldn't be blamed for bad decisions at Balmoral because his hat there doesn't say steward, it says publicity director/ back-up announcer.  Also, if Tomis stepping down, it should be for all the Maywood fiascoes.  Wessels and the boys are doing a combinative horrible job at Balmoral as well.  TC
race track phil

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 11:24:34 AM »

Is he dumb or does he think we are? There was only about $20,000 in the pool, and it looks like the "real superfecta payout¬  was about 7 grand hit on dime tickets. How can he write that the super paid $148,000?¬  Huh

thats a total insult to all professional gamblers . why dont they say there track attendence was 100,000 also ! those lies will never help racing . but its nothing new they continue to look like idiots posting ridiculous payouts . they should give every customer a free calculator so we can figure the real payoffs . its a total joke but the 10 cent bet has really boosted are pools up !    RTP
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 02:49:11 PM »

Edward, I am surprised at your criticism of Tom because it is no different that what Scott E. did for you last week when you hit the pick 6. Scott could not wait to post on the USTA website that one lucky winner hit the pick 6 when he knew all along that it was you and a Chicago based connection. These publicity directors are just that, publicity directors. They are paid to cover the sport and step right to the line with attracting interest and new fans.

I've specifically said before that Tom is a good guy.  He's very friendly, and quite the ball buster.

BUT, this is NOT the same thing.  The money was on the table for that P6, and it was a one ticket winner.  In this case, he is parading around a completely false payoff -- when in reality, there's NOTHING wrong with $7k on a dime!!  You can publicize and still be fair.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone put the bug in his ear that he "should" write about it.  I'm sure Tom knows that it's definitely misleading...

Best,
EW

John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 04:54:12 PM »

I've specifically said before that Tom is a good guy.  He's very friendly, and quite the ball buster.

BUT, this is NOT the same thing.  The money was on the table for that P6, and it was a one ticket winner.  In this case, he is parading around a completely false payoff -- when in reality, there's NOTHING wrong with $7k on a dime!!  You can publicize and still be fair.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone put the bug in his ear that he "should" write about it.  I'm sure Tom knows that it's definitely misleading...

Best,
EW

Edward:

So did Scott E. when he knew that a Chicago connection took down the pick 6 pool, but all he ever said was one lucky winner hit the pick 6? Total bullshit Edward and you know it. I agree that Tom Kelley should not have said that but my point is that publicity directors mislead people all of the time. Does that make Tom's mistake right, of course not, but Scott did the same thing acting as if he did not know who won. He could have very easily said it was a Chicago connection and left it at that.

These PR guys step right to the line and some even cross it, but it is, what it is.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 04:57:27 PM »

Edward:

So did Scott E. when he knew that a Chicago connection took down the pick 6 pool, but all he ever said was one lucky winner hit the pick 6? Total bullshit Edward and you know it. I agree that Tom Kelley should not have said that but my point is that publicity directors mislead people all of the time. Does that make Tom's mistake right, of course not, but Scott did the same thing acting as if he did not know who won. He could have very easily said it was a Chicago connection and left it at that.

These PR guys step right to the line and some even cross it, but it is, what it is.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

He can't release information like that, because it's not something that can be verifiable.  What if I was completely full of shit?

I mean -- obviously, that's not the case, but you can only use the information that the racetrack can certify.

Best,
EW

bigdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 05:02:49 PM »

Even if scott knew who hit the lucky ticket, I think what he said about one lucky winner is part of his p/r job to get people watching excited, and make them think anyone can do it!
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 05:03:22 PM »

He can't release information like that, because it's not something that can be verifiable.  What if I was completely full of shit?

I mean -- obviously, that's not the case, but you can only use the information that the racetrack can certify.

Best,
EW
Edward:

Scott could have reported it as unconfirmed, like reporters do all the time. I mean its not like he did not know. That was my only point and I am not saying to list your name and stuff. I just thought he could have said, an unconfirmed report says that a Chicago connection hit the pick 6 tonight. I think it might have made him look good as well like some of the Chicago fans followed Scott out to California to wager on Sacramento. Hell, come to think of it, I see unconfirmed reports on the news all of the time. Just my opinion.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
bigdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 05:07:57 PM »

Joe what business of his, is who won? He should just call the race and the results.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »

Edward:

Scott could have reported it as unconfirmed, like reporters do all the time. I mean its not like he did not know. That was my only point and I am not saying to list your name and stuff. I just thought he could have said, an unconfirmed report says that a Chicago connection hit the pick 6 tonight. I think it might have made him look good as well like some of the Chicago fans followed Scott out to California to wager on Sacramento. Hell, come to think of it, I see unconfirmed reports on the news all of the time. Just my opinion.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

I sort of see your point, but news and press releases are VERY different.  News is done by a third party, but the press releases actually come from the source.  You can't the actual source issuing unconfirmed reports.

Plus, honestly, it doesn't matter where it was hit.  In this case, however, this payoff may directly sway bettors to play at Balmoral.

Best,
EW

edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2005, 05:08:52 PM »

Joe what business of his, is who won? He should just call the race and the results.

He's also the publicity director at Expo.  Joe is referring to the article written after the P6.

Best,
EW

John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2005, 05:18:45 PM »

He's also the publicity director at Expo.  Joe is referring to the article written after the P6.

Best,
EW

Edward:

I am referring to the slanted article that Scott wrote on the USTA website. If what you are saying is true, then how could he even report someone winning the pick 6 unless you actually cashed the ticket that night, which I am assuming you did not?  Based on your line of thinking, all Scott could have said was, it appears as if the pick 6 was hit and our computer system says someone has the winning ticket, but we don't know if the person cheated or robbed the computer system or did anything illegal because the ticket remains uncashed. More about the pick 6 later. I am serious. If he is going to report that the pick 6 was hit because Expo's system shows a winning ticket, then he could have researched it and found where the winning ticket was bet, and who was the winner. It would only take 10 minutes for me to do this, and journalism is not one of my stronger points. Just my opinion.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 05:43:20 PM »

Edward:

I am referring to the slanted article that Scott wrote on the USTA website. If what you are saying is true, then how could he even report someone winning the pick 6 unless you actually cashed the ticket that night, which I am assuming you did not?  Based on your line of thinking, all Scott could have said was, it appears as if the pick 6 was hit and our computer system says someone has the winning ticket, but we don't know if the person cheated or robbed the computer system or did anything illegal because the ticket remains uncashed. More about the pick 6 later. I am serious. If he is going to report that the pick 6 was hit because Expo's system shows a winning ticket, then he could have researched it and found where the winning ticket was bet, and who was the winner. It would only take 10 minutes for me to do this, and journalism is not one of my stronger points. Just my opinion.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

You can't find out the winner just by knowing where the ticket was placed.  In the days where everything was bet on track, it was pretty easy.  But now, there are privacy agreements preventing these things...

Best,
EW

John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005, 05:46:36 PM »

Which adds credence to my statement of not even being able to find out if the pick 6 was hit legitimately or not. In that case, why report anything until you have all the details. Now it sounds like Scott overreacted and jumped the gun about reporting it...

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN