Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 18, 2014, 03:05:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please List your favorite Driver to watch Hand Drive a horse.  (Read 1980 times)
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »

I mention Loosh and the hind-legs thing, and then someone mentions a Greek driver?

Very Freudian.
Loosh~~King of the quarter pole move to the front at Yonkers trotter
Report to moderator   Logged

I trust no one, not even myself~~
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »

I seem to recall Teddy Wing being the first to really do that with some persistence in NY, though he'd been doing it up in New England since the days of Daniel Webster. 
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »

There's an infamous photo from the 1960's of Stanley Dancer reaching underneath the seat with the whip to touch the hocks of Henry T. Adios.

My eyes may be deceiving me, however I frequently see drivers just touching a horses hocks these days and in live video with the whip.

Regards Don
fairguy

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »

There's a guy here in Ohio thats not a National name other that when Nobleland Sam's name comes up...Sam Noble .. for years a classic when it comes to hand driving a horse..

Fairguy
Ruffie Guru

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »

Tony Morgan
King Nothing

Goodtimes

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »

For years Luc Ouellette could get a lot out of a horse without the stick. Morrill has a great stretch drive with his shakin in the bike lol. Of course J.C. has been know to just urge one with the hands, i think he was in favor of a proposal to get rid of the whip.

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around

King Nothing
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »

I really like this topic along with the many opinions.

Buddy was the king of hand driving IMO & many of the others like O'Donnell & Billy Haughton & Herve were a treat to watch.

When I watch Sears, his knowledge of how much horse he has, amazes me.  When he's on top & goes to the whip early in the stretch, he's basically cooked but he rarely hand drives & then gets caught.  It's like watching a golfer who knows his game perfectly & as soon as he makes contact, he knows where it's going to land within a yard - for you golf nuts, Davis Love III is THE perfect example.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
jdizigg

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »

FOR YEARS IN CHICAGO DAVE MAGEE WAS VERY SMOOTH AND EASY TO WATCH.

LOVED the left handed 1 handers by dave magee on Odds on Moinet....When i single a horse in the pick 5 this is what i want.  He backed the fractions down, and with Marcus Miller ALWAYS lurking the old man wanted speed...2 left handed 1 handers did the trick!
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 04:29:20 AM »

Herve, Gilmour, Manzi, Campbell, Billy O, Morrill, Frank Safford
Great list, and right to the point !!
 thumbs up thumbs up
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »

The following from the Nov 1942 Hoof Heats and the "As We See it" column, where a reader responds to the previously submitted Oct 1942 article:

The last issue of HOOF BEATS contained an article on the inhuman practice some drivers employ in the matter of punishing their horses in driving them in trotting and pacing races. Responses from our readers was asked for, and among the many received the following letter from Lena Allen Davis, of Dighton, Mass., stands out as a shining example of the revulsion that is felt by spectators at harness horse meetings where the so unnecessary strong-arm tactics of the "hell-bent-for-leather finishers" is used. We thank

Miss Davis for her letter and we very gladly publish it:

In the October issue of HOOF BEATS there is a picture of two drivers teaming their mounts to the finish in a humane way—a contrast to harsher methods sometimes used. You ask for comments, for which I thank you. I have long wished to express myself concerning the worst example of handling a race horse I ever witnessed.

It happened at The Trots at Lexington. I shall not say what year, nor in what race, but all who were there that day will never forget the heartless spectacle.

A driver had been disciplined during the first heat, and was told to obtain a substitute-, but when the next heat was called that same driver reappeared, started with the field, and so enraged was he that he took out his spite on his mount, lashing him unmercifully and forcing such a pace that he came from behind, passed the whole field including the pole horse, and led the bunch before they reached the quarter pole.

The little stallion was very good, very fast, very game, but he was also very young and was traveling in a class a little bit faster. I shall never forget the wild, frantic look of terror in his bulging eyes, as he passed the grandstand, while a rain of slashing blows fell on his glossy straining side.

It is indeed a wonder he did not drop dead!
To be sure, horse and driver were disqualified and further penalized, but that did not remove the cuts from the little stallion's panting body, nor take the fear from his heart.

I have since watched many horses from this same stable—most of the pupils are nervous, irritable, erratic. Is it any wonder? Schooled by fear, rather than patience and gentleness.
Man's best friend, and you crucify him!

Do any of the readers know the book "National Velvet"—one of the most understanding horse books ever written?
Here is what the owner of "The Piebald" said of him: "Me? I'm nothing. If you could see what he did for me! He burst himself for me—'N' when I asked him, he burst himself more. 'N' when I asked him again he—he doubled it. He tried near to death, he did. I'd sooner have that horse happy than go to heaven!
I hope you will print this."
LENA ALLEN DAVIS.
Dighton, Mass.

Regards Don
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »

Wilderness your stories and post give me hope for horses and those who care for them.
Last night I watched a beautiful trot at Meadowlands 151 and all your stories were in my heart and mind as I watched.
I think trotters are so pretty and proud and to see them handled by good reinsman as you call them is such a beautiful sight.
i only wish we had such a race track where the owners could put up a big billboard "reinsmen wanted for harness meet all others need not apply." To show the world the best product and Art Standardbred harness racing and those with the passion of putting the horse first can offer.
I was talking to a young man last night that drives out here and I told him how my favorite thing to watch was him hand driving a horse. He said to me "it just is not worth driving any other way" then shared with me how he use to drive another way but realize "its just not worth it".
I will also say I was also very proud the way my horse was driven last night. I seen this other young man really starting to understand the importance of hand driving a horse. Yeh we are small potatoes but if every driver or want to be could learn and develop this Art can you imagine the difference  this would make in this sport.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »

Glad you enjoy it fuzzy.

Regards Don
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »

Glad you enjoy it fuzzy.
thank you wilderness  thumbs up your the best

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Double Joker

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »

Back in the day Lavern Hostetler getting Pie Eyed Piper home w/o using the whip.
 flag clover
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: