Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 01, 2014, 11:32:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddie Razo  (Read 5478 times)
Vic in Chicago

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »

This is very, very sad.  Those of us who follow racing in Chicagoland know that in addition to being a fine jockey, Eddie was truly one of the good guys.

As a big fan of Giant Oak, I remember well the day that Eddie gave the Oakster one of the best rides he ever had, to win the Arlington Classic in 2009.  The storyline of Giant Oak's career is that, as a deep closer, he usually was taken wide around the turns, and lost so much ground that he couldn't get up in time for the win.  But I was at Arlington that day in May 2009, when Eddie gave him truly one of the best rides of his career.  He kept Giant Oak along the rail all the way around, then "threaded the needle" perfectly at the top of the stretch, and brought him home for the win.  Taking nothing away from the horse, but without Eddie's ride that day, the Oakster doesn't get the win.

Here's the YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grkB1PMYfqQ

A great jockey, and a great guy.  We will miss him.  R.I.P Eddie.  
Report to moderator   Logged
Ghostjones

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »

This is very, very sad.  Those of us who follow racing in Chicagoland know that in addition to being a fine jockey, Eddie was truly one of the good guys.

As a big fan of Giant Oak, I remember well the day that Eddie gave the Oakster one of the best rides he ever had, to win the Arlington Classic in 2009.  The storyline of Giant Oak's career is that, as a deep closer, he usually was taken wide around the turns, and lost so much ground that he couldn't get up in time for the win.  But I was at Arlington that day in May 2009, when Eddie gave him truly one of the best rides of his career.  He kept Giant Oak along the rail all the way around, then "threaded the needle" perfectly at the top of the stretch, and brought him home for the win.  Taking nothing away from the horse, but without Eddie's ride that day, the Oakster doesn't get the win.

Here's the YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grkB1PMYfqQ

A great jockey, and a great guy.  We will miss him.  R.I.P Eddie.  

Well said, here's a pic my wife took after the race:

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »

Here's a quote from an article off the front page.

"Long Grove Fire Protection District officials declined to comment on the fire and referred all questions to the Lake County sheriff’s department."

Was some sort of illegal activity going on like methamphetamine manufacturing?  This is one of the good guys yet this article makes him look bad. 

Somehow I knew this was coming and probably should have guessed it would come from the aptly named Buzzkill.  My guess is he was sitting on his couch, noticed his garage was on fire, when out there to do something, there was some flammable substance like a gas can that was present, it exploded while he was in the garage, and the rest is terrible history.  Of course, we will all find out what happened when the officials finish their investigation.  Yes, I am guessing too but I could not let Busskill's implication hang out there during such a distressful time.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »

I can't even believe that post.  What is wrong with this Buzzkill person?  Go away!

Thank  you Vic in Chicago for that great video.  The way I want to remember him.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »

I can't even believe that post.  What is wrong with this Buzzkill person?  Go away!

I am NOT defending this Buzzkill guy, but...I had to give him the benefit of the doubt, as distasteful as that may seem.

You saw what I posted, explaining how small F.D.'s work -- the first version was ALOT nastier to Buzzkill.

I had to pull back on it, though -- based on the news in the last 4-5 years, I realized that it's not that unreasonable to wonder about meth labs and such when a garage suddenly explodes. We had a garage blow up nearby, and it wasn't the owners (an elderly couple) -- it was who they rented it to. We were *still* stunned that it was going on here.

(Also, don't forget that Greta Kuntzweiler was mixed up with a guy who was involved with that sh*t...and nobody could believe it since she was such a nice kid. Maybe I'm reaching...I dunno. An issue of perspective, I suppose.)

In the end, I decided that "Buzzkill" must not be familiar with the Razo's, and how involved they had been in helping Rene Douglas and his family deal with his situation...or he simply wouldn't have made such a callous suggestion.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »

But why even bring something like this up at a time like this?  When his family and friends and many many fans are suffering?  Why would one not wait until the investigation is over?

It was just thoughtless and unnecessary. 
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

But why even bring something like this up at a time like this?  When his family and friends and many many fans are suffering?  Why would one not wait until the investigation is over?

It was just thoughtless and unnecessary. 

Perhaps. It's no different than when a jock dies, and there is a rush to speculation about drugs, their lifestyle, their tattoos, piercings, etc.

Sometimes people post before they think things through. I've done it plenty, God knows.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »

I'm sure I've done it as well but I hope I learned my lesson.  (the P.Val saga)

Even if something fishy was going on, it won't help anyone now to be bringing it up. 
pony

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 03:32:30 AM »

Here's a quote from an article off the front page.

"Long Grove Fire Protection District officials declined to comment on the fire and referred all questions to the Lake County sheriff’s department."

Was some sort of illegal activity going on like methamphetamine manufacturing?  This is one of the good guys yet this article makes him look bad. 
Look here Buzz kill you don't even know what you are talking about! He had the use of only one hand after his accident.There Was NO drugs involved at all .There were  no drugs  or alcohol in his system when he passed. That is all I can say for right now. BuzzKill Buzz off! thank you .Are family doesn't need your mouth running when you don't even know what you are talking about. So please be Quite.Are family does deserve that respect!
pony

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 03:41:16 AM »

Long Grove is a very small suburb and is covered by a couple of "Fire Protection Districts"; while the folks that make up the fire protection units are deadly serious about their duties, the fact is that the districts are staffed mostly by volunteers.

I don't claim to know the exact mix of professionals and volunteers in Long Grove, their total staffing levels nor their level of investigative expertise, but kicking an investigation of something outside the range of an ordinary fire to the next higher level of gummint (Lake County, in his case) has got to be pretty standard. Tiny 'burbs can barely afford a Fire Chief, let alone costly, highly trained arson / explosion / hazmat experts.
You don't know that Long Grove is  one off the richest community in Lake County next to Barrington. You know nothing about fire fighting at all.I do ,and They are taking this very seriously, and they have very high tech equipment. I know I seen it.And know how it works since I'm  fireman's daughter!  So go lay down!.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:43:48 AM by pony » Report to moderator   Logged
UncleEddiesPal

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 05:44:48 AM »

Does anyone know of any services planned? I haven't seen or heard of any yet. Thanks
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »

I am so sorry to hear about this terrible thing.  God Bless and watch over you.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »

You don't know that Long Grove is  one off the richest community in Lake County next to Barrington. You know nothing about fire fighting at all.I do ,and They are taking this very seriously, and they have very high tech equipment. I know I seen it.And know how it works since I'm  fireman's daughter!  So go lay down!.

Easy there, O feisty one -- the veins in your neck are bulging. That's not good.

I know quite well that Long Grove is "well to do". Been there, worked there, shopped there, etc...but I don't care how "wealthy" you say they are -- it's a TINY place, and there is NFW they have a full-fledged, full-time, fully-certified Bomb and Arson Squad. I'd be shocked if they had just ONE FBI-Certified Bomb Technician; this isn't a "diss" of Long Grove -- it just doesn't make sense that they would spend that kind of money to retain such an expert: explosions in Long Grove? Before last week, how many explosions or bomb threats have they had in the last 10 years??  

Don't assume I "know nothing" about firefighting at all: my uncle is a retired Lieutenant of the Chicago Fire Dept., and my best friend is a former volunteer firefighter for a community near Merrionette Park, IL (now an EMT in Naperville) -- do you think I just made up what I wrote?

Even with my knowledge, I readily admitted that I didn't know the exact mix of what expertise the Long Grove FPD has -- maybe if you weren't so hellbent on writing a scorching reply, you would have slowed down a little, and read for comprehension.

Besides, one thing you wrote makes no sense: I have no doubt that the Long Grove FPD is taking this VERY seriously, but if they have all the "high tech equipment" you claim they have, then does Lake County have to get involved in the cause of the explosion (as was reported)?

When Naperville has an explosion, they either take care of it themselves or get the Feds involved if the situation warrants it, but they DON'T dump it on Will County.

I think you need to step back from the keyboard, have a cool drink, and go talk to Daddy the Fireman some more -- ask him what he knows about how the local, county, state and federal investigators cooperate under something called "comity of jurisdictions". Then you can come back and apologize for biting my head off.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:17:37 AM by HorseVoice » Report to moderator   Logged
glf01

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »

I appreciate all of your condolences and prayers but I need to clear everyones mind with the facts. First this was an accident that happened in our gargage around 9:10 am THE FIRE IS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION AND THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO DRUGS INVOVLED AND ERASE ANY OF YOUR WILDEST THOUGHTS ABOUT HIM HURTING HIMSELF THERE WAS NO EXPLOSTION. THE ONLY THING THAT GAVE WAY WERE TIRES THAT BELONGED TO THE TRACTOR THAT WERE FULLY INFLATED AND A SET OF CAR TIRES THAT BELONGED TO HIS CAR. THAT WAS  WHAT EXPLODED. HE DID NOT DRINK OR SMOKE AND THE AUTOPSY IS INCONCLUSIVE AND THE MEMERIAL SERVICE HAS TO WAIT FOR A LITTLE BIT. bUT PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY DOUBTS PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS THERE IS NOTHING TO HIDE OF A TRUE CLASSLY MAN THAT HAD MORE CLASS AND PRIDE THAN MOST MEN WOULD EVER WISH WERE SO STOP THE RUMORS AND PLEASE GROW UP AND GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. REMEMBER HE HAS A SON THAT DESERVES THE TRUTH NOT RUMORS
THANK YOU
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:46:37 PM by glf01 » Report to moderator   Logged
SouthFlorida

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

I appreciate all of your condolences and prayers but I need to clear everyones mind with the facts. First this was an accident that happened in our gargage around 9:10 am THE FIRE IS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION AND THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO DRUGS INVOVLED AND ERASE ANY OF YOUR WILDEST THOUGHTS ABOUT HIM HURTING HIMSELF THERE WAS NO EXPLOSTION. THE ONLY THING THAT GAVE WAY WERE TIRES THAT BELONGED TO THE TRACTOR THAT WERE FULLY INFLATED AND A SET OF CAR TIRES THAT BELONGED TO HIS CAR. THAT WAS  WHAT EXPLODED. HE DID NOT DRINK OR SMOKE AND THE AUTOPSY IS INCONCLUSIVE AND THE MEMERIAL SERVICE HAS TO WAIT FOR A LITTLE BIT. bUT PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY DOUBTS PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS THERE IS NOTHING TO HIDE OF A TRUE CLASSLY MAN THAT HAD MORE CLASS AND PRIDE THAN MOST MEN WOULD EVER WISH WERE SO STOP THE RUMORS AND PLEASE GROW UP AND GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. REMEMBER HE HAS A SON THAT DESERVES THE TRUTH NOT RUMORS
THANK YOU
Doreen don't let the trolls here get to you. Anyone that knew Eddie knows the truth!!! He was a gret person and will be missed at the track and away from the track!!!
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 10:12:25 PM »

No one should cast stones here, a man died. I offer my condolences to the entire Razo family. At the end of the day a man lost his life, a wife lost her husband, a son lost his father, and racing lost a classy ambassador for the sport. God Bless.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 11:33:58 PM »

No one should cast stones here, a man died. I offer my condolences to the entire Razo family. At the end of the day a man lost his life, a wife lost her husband, a son lost his father, and racing lost a classy ambassador for the sport. God Bless.

There was only one person who said anything disparaging and that was Buzzkill.  He is known to do such things.  Let the rest of the posts speak for how we feel.  Eddie is missed, believe me!  Take care!
Joe B

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 01:04:11 AM »

knowitall horsevoice now knows the inner workings of the long grove fire dept !! what an ignorant dope to post his ignorant crap in this thread....

condolences to the razo family and friends...everything ive heard about eddie is that he was a wonderful guy..sad tragedy...
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:10 AM »

knowitall horsevoice now knows the inner workings of the long grove fire dept !! what an ignorant dope to post his ignorant crap in this thread....

Well, the opposing view of what HV posted, that the Long Grove FD didn't/doesn't have the resources to do the investigation themselves, is that the investigation has been passed off to the Lake County sherriff for a very good reason, as in:

"Fire investigators continue to work with police to determine what caused the death of Eusebio “Eddie” Razo Jr., whose body was found in a badly burned Long Grove garage Tuesday morning. An autopsy on the longtime Arlington Park jockey was inconclusive and investigators are awaiting toxicology results. “We are waiting to see what the fire marshal has to say as well,” said Lake County Coroner Artis Yancey. “We are treating it as a pending suspicious death.”

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120426/news/704269916/

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Cablacinasian

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 06:59:42 AM »

I questioned the way the article was written.  I said Razo was one of the good guys. I don't believe he was cooking meth.

I do apologize for anyone who thought I was implying he was a dopehead.  That is not the message I was trying to convey. 
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »

Listen, a55hole -- any time you want to engage in a reading for comprehension contest with me, step up. Name your price...and bring a Cashier's Check for the amount you want to lose.

For the THIRD time: I was very careful to say that I DID NOT know the exact mix of skills and capabilities of the Long Grove FPD, but it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE that they have a full Bomb & Arson Squad.

Discussing the relative capabilities of that Fire Dept. DOES NOT imply that I thought Mr. Razo was mixed up in anything illegal, DOES NOT mean that I have no sympathy nor sorrow towards those he left behind, and it DOES NOT mean that I am demeaning the Long Grove FPD in any way.

Get off your damned high horse, READ first, then let the words SINK IN...an only then should you reply.

(Or, you can keep looking like a damn idiot. Your call.)
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »

You are one bitter old dude.
SouthFlorida

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »

I questioned the way the article was written.  I said Razo was one of the good guys. I don't believe he was cooking meth.

I do apologize for anyone who thought I was implying he was a dopehead.  That is not the message I was trying to convey. 

The best post you have ever posted thumbs up
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »

You are one bitter old dude.

And you are a creepy stalker. Seriously.

I merely defend myself to the fullest when I get an unwarranted attack from an uninformed poster...didn't read a damn thing I wrote in earlier in this thread, did you?
Livingthedream

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »

From an owners perspective, Eddie, always gave my horses a fair ride, a very fair individual.... I agree, the horse racing community has lost a great man, and the Razo family has lost a great man.

Our prayers are with Eddies family.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: