Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 26, 2014, 12:48:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Havre De Grace Retired  (Read 1093 times)
Bob B

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69168/havre-de-grace-retired-with-ankle-injury
Report to moderator   Logged
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »

200 lb exercise riders can do that to an ankle.

nyah
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »

nyah

Used to hate seeing that every morning.  Tiny fillies with 180+lbs of good eats and beer atop them, and come January we see bucked shins everywhere head shake

Chris Szulc

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:13 PM »

She's also up for sale:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69182/porter-havre-de-grace-is-for-sale
Cablacinasian

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:26:45 AM »

She would be a great purchase.  Probably the best racing female since Ruffian.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »

better than Zenyatta -  screwy
NIATROSS

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »

She would be a great purchase.  Probably the best racing female since Ruffian.

Best racing female since Ruffian ?  Not likely.
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »

Havre de Grace is more accomplished than Ruffian, no?

Vic in Chicago

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »

Probably the best racing female since Ruffian.

Actually, with all due respect, a more accurate statement is that HdG is the best racing female since Zenyatta.

Grace was a great race horse before she retired, but the ultimate test they both faced was in the Breeders' Cup - both the Classic and the Ladies' Classic.

Zenyatta wins that comparison, easily.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »

It's not even a discussion!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »

Actually, with all due respect, a more accurate statement is that HdG is the best racing female since Zenyatta.

Grace was a great race horse before she retired, but the ultimate test they both faced was in the Breeders' Cup - both the Classic and the Ladies' Classic.

Zenyatta wins that comparison, easily.

Zenyatta wins that comparison yes!
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 06:09:37 AM »

Used to hate seeing that every morning.  Tiny fillies with 180+lbs of good eats and beer atop them, and come January we see bucked shins everywhere head shake

Actually, from the picture, HdG's exercise rider looks nowhere close to 180.  Just by looking, I'd say closer to 110 or 120.  She doesn't look very big.

I don't think I've ever seen an exercise rider much over about 145 who could get steady work.   Most trainers won't use them.  I know it was just a joke, but good jokes need to have a hook in reality.  It's what makes them funny.  Jokes that just come out of nowhere and don't have much of a point usually don't work.
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »

Actually, from the picture, HdG's exercise rider looks nowhere close to 180.  Just by looking, I'd say closer to 110 or 120.  She doesn't look very big.

I don't think I've ever seen an exercise rider much over about 145 who could get steady work.   Most trainers won't use them.  I know it was just a joke, but good jokes need to have a hook in reality.  It's what makes them funny.  Jokes that just come out of nowhere and don't have much of a point usually don't work.

How much would you say Larry Jones goes?

Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »

How many have you given a leg up?  You can tell a bag of bricks real quick, and I've seen a few.  You probably have as well. I know 170 was seen in more that one barn around the southern curcuit both trackside and at the training centers.  More prevailent at the training centers  for reasons you cited, as well as a practical method of getting the fresh or common ones to settle in quickly.  I used to cringe whenever a certain fellow came around the corner.  Always hoped he would pass mine by, but nope, he always got on mine,and I always had a pair or two of bucked shins.  Call it coincidence if you will.

Bob B

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »

The comment was in reference to trainer Larry Jones' weight.  He's known to get on his horses in the morning on a regular basis.
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »

She sure is a nice mare.  In the muddy Beldame, on paper, she looked too good to be true, so at 1/2 I stupidly bet the field against her.  She was really good that day.

If making comparisons, don't forget to include in Blind Luck. She's another good one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:19:29 AM by 7474505B » Report to moderator   Logged

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »

Which leads me to think she could still be a top horse racing injured, in the mud ?

Why I say this is weird. Yesterday, I watched a DVD, In Old Kentucky (1935), starring Will Rodgers as the trainer of Greyboy, a good but injured horse who despite his injury could still race fast on the slop.

Of course, they hired a rainmaker and bet the pasture land (or farm).

It was an OK movie, with an eerie, I don't know the word, "coincidence" to the Trayvon Martin shooting. Loose cannon "Grandpa" Martingale (the father of the ingenue owner of Greyboy) prowling around the set (which looked more like CA than KY. In fact it was filmed at the ranch of the then current CA racing commissioner), with a loaded double barreled shotgun profiling and aiming to shoot anyone associated with the rival East Coast Shattuck family, disputers of the Martingale pasture land. Without furthering the plot, it became a worn out joke. Called out as a public nuisance, the sherriff was put on the hunt for Gramps and ordered a $2,000 peace bond placed against him upon his arrest. Of course no one was actually shot.  Bill Bojangles Robinson danced and co-starred.  Save for Rogers and Robinson, the cast was weak.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:59:27 AM by 7474505B » Report to moderator   Logged

DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »

Is it to late in the season to breed her , my guess is yes ?
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »

Is it to late in the season to breed her , my guess is yes ?

That's a good question.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:46:21 PM by 7474505B » Report to moderator   Logged

Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »

Havre de Grace is more accomplished than Ruffian, no?

She accomplished winning horse of the year in a season when it should have gone to a horse in the starter allowance ranks, and then went wrong shortly thereafter. Not real high on the list of "accomplished" runners.
coldpunch

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »

How much would you say Larry Jones goes?

Larry goes about 165 and nobody said a word when Proud Spell and Hard Spun were champions and Larry got on those two everyday

ridculous tidea to suggets Larry is 200 pounds and the reason for the retirement--actually A Dutrow had her at 3 when Larry was retired
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »

That's a good question.

It's pretty late for a mare fresh off the racetrack. They often take a while to settle down, cycle normally and generally get ready to be mommies.
thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »

It's pretty late for a mare fresh off the racetrack. They often take a while to settle down, cycle normally and generally get ready to be mommies.

Exactly. Mares fresh off the track tend to "crash" for a period of time after they are taken out of training. I would not recommend breeding her till next year.
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »

Larry goes about 165 and nobody said a word when Proud Spell and Hard Spun were champions and Larry got on those two everyday

ridculous tidea to suggets Larry is 200 pounds and the reason for the retirement--actually A Dutrow had her at 3 when Larry was retired

Who said he was 200 dunno

coldpunch

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »

nyah

hungry did
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: