Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 18, 2014, 02:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: o/t: Sox pitcher Humber perfect game  (Read 1213 times)
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »

Didn't mean to scold.
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »

Terry, it is time for you to head west to the fairs, fish, and forumless land of the setting sun.  Time to tend to your vegetables and be far away from the soul-corrupting influence of Arlington and the ominous Mr. D.  Have a good summer free of the imperfections that is make up the horse racing scene.

Gosh, somehow I missed this unsolicited advice from "Dan the Corrector". Glad you could join the round robin.

First of all Dan, I don't know if you've heard, but there's this new thing they call the Internet, and it doesn't matter where I am. There's no such thing as "forumless". It is exactly as far to this forum for me from wherever I may be as for you from Crystal Lake (?).

Secondly, this is an OT baseball thread, and has absolutely nothing to do with Arlington, Mr. D, or the horse racing scene.

And thirdly, what the hey? In the past 2-1/2 weeks I've attended seven live racing programs at four different racetracks. What are your current credentials as a racing fan to be telling others not to post on this racing forum?

And P.S. - A balmy 85 or so today here in Montana, and you'll be pleased to know the little tomatoes and peppers are doing fine.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »

I don't think sox fans should give tips on classy fan etiquette. 

That's true, of course, but then neither should fans of any team be giving tips on etiquette or dissing other teams' players as douches, because it's quite easy to find plenty of rotten examples for all teams.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »

28/30 so far this year in av. attendance.  Ahead of only Cleveland and Seattle, right behind Kansas City.  At least the Cubs fans are loyal. 

And stupid enough to put up with this mediocrity year after year after year after years after ...

But let's face it, the real star for Cubs fans are the Wrigleyville neighborhood bars, where they all drink themselves into a coma before and after the games so they won't feel the pain.

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »

Dan, are you a teacher and did you hang out at Trackside, second level? I recall a father and son teacher combo there.

Well, I am a retired high school teacher and a computer teacher at the local community college helping business people keep up-to-date on Microsoft Office.  I am a resident of Trackside, second level every Saturday.  Not part of any family team, but a member of a frequently losing group of bettors.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:12:45 PM by APCD Dan » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »

Well, I see the Cubs managed to improve their record to 5-12 tonight, so maybe they're "comin' around".

Wasn't there someone in some other thread who predicted they would lose 120 this year? They're right on pace!

(These meaningless early season records are just so much fun to bandy about, aren't they?  laughing guy )

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »

From Mr. Terry:

Gosh, somehow I missed this unsolicited advice from "Dan the Corrector". Glad you could join the round robin.

Hey, I have been promoted from schoolmarm.

From the Terry:
First of all Dan, I don't know if you've heard, but there's this new thing they call the Internet, and it doesn't matter where I am. There's no such thing as "forumless". It is exactly as far to this forum for me from wherever I may be as for you from Crystal Lake (?).

Sigh, how true!  Can't you just go out to the Big Sky country and look at the stars and leave the computer home.

From Uncle Terry:

Secondly, this is an OT baseball thread, and has absolutely nothing to do with Arlington, Mr. D, or the horse racing scene.

I was just thinking of your well-being.

From the former ClockerTerry:

And thirdly, what the hey? In the past 2-1/2 weeks I've attended seven live racing programs at four different racetracks. What are your current credentials as a racing fan to be telling others not to post on this racing forum?

And you didn't tell us you left already?  No going away party?  Uh, I didn't tell anyone not to post, but I was concerned about your posting activity.  See above response.  As to credentials, I am a proud member of Club Arlington Trackside, second floor edition.

From the current H and B Terry:

And P.S. - A balmy 85 or so today here in Montana, and you'll be pleased to know the little tomatoes and peppers are doing fine.

There you go.   Relax in that sun and tend to those plants, breath in that clean air.  Give that computer some time off too. Have a great summer and come back for a great fall at Hawthorne.  Send us pictures like you always do.

Posting Disclaimer:  Just pulling your chain here.  I forget how seriously you take these little interchanges.  Have a good time and we will continue to look forward to your stories and comments from the Great West.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »

Sigh, how true!  Can't you just go out to the Big Sky country and look at the stars and leave the computer home.

Why can't you just enjoy the fresh dairy air of Crystal Lake and junk the computer?

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:28 PM »

Peavy throws a 3 hitter at the A's and the Sox win 4-0.  thumbs up

Hawk Harrelson probably irritated someone in the process.  thumbs up

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »

Peavy throws a 3 hitter at the A's and the Sox win 4-0.  

Ah, this is a post I like.  Go Sox!

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »

Ah, this is a post I like.  Go Sox!

Tied w/Detroit for the division lead at 10-6. They got it in the bag with a mere 146 games left to play!

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »

I don't think sox fans should give tips on classy fan etiquette. 

I thought this was a bit harsh -- surely, Sox fans act better these days than they did when the Ligue brothers stormed the field and attacked that coach for the Royals...right?

Then I found this news clip:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7834351/a-young-boy-was-ejected-thursday-chicago-white-sox-game?ex_cid=2012_local_ob_chi_ban_lnk

Sadly, bad behavior by Sox fans has found its way down to the preschooler ranks -- I don't think we can make THAT claim about any other team!
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »

And stupid enough to put up with this mediocrity year after year after year after years after ...

But let's face it, the real star for Cubs fans are the Wrigleyville neighborhood bars, where they all drink themselves into a coma before and after the games so they won't feel the pain.

Plenty of people drinking themselves into a coma around the cell.  Do you really want to compare venues?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »

Plenty of people drinking themselves into a coma around the cell.  Do you really want to compare venues?

Actually, the comparison comments were about fans, and no Sox fans as a whole do not pound it pre and post-game like Cubs. Maybe that used to be the case back in the day, but not any more. The crowd is far too corporate yuppified on those free company tickets, and too many kids in tow. Totally different crowd now than the old Comiskey crowd.  

However, since you brought it up, the Cell is miles better as far as a facility in every way, and so are all the concessions, etc. However, Wrigley is in a far better neighborhood for drinking and partying before and after the game, and the place has more history.

jgp

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »

Actually, the comparison comments were about fans, and no Sox fans as a whole do not pound it pre and post-game like Cubs. Maybe that used to be the case back in the day, but not any more. The crowd is far too corporate yuppified on those free company tickets, and too many kids in tow. Totally different crowd now than the old Comiskey crowd.  

However, since you brought it up, the Cell is miles better as far as a facility in every way, and so are all the concessions, etc. However, Wrigley is in a far better neighborhood for drinking and partying before and after the game, and the place has more history.
The stadium is nice if you like the  big sound system and jumbotron thing.  But to me the place is like the neighborhood, boring.   Ill take the old school scoreboard and dont need to see a replay ballpark.  The concessions are run by the same company at both ballparks, so I dont think they are too far off.  I frequent both ballparks, and nothing makes me laugh more than the people at the cell on half price ticket night.  If any ballpark in the city is "yuppified" its Wrigley.  I wanna beat anyone sitting close to me on a cell phone!  Go away if your gonna talk the entire game, I dont get it!  And now I read the other day that the cell is gonna have wifi.  REALLY?
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »

Interesting side note - when the White Sox and their fans come to Wrigley, the Cubs label the urinals and the sinks in the men's washrooms.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »

The stadium is nice if you like the  big sound system and jumbotron thing.  But to me the place is like the neighborhood, boring.

The things I think make the Cell superior are:

- If you want to drive and park your car it's no big deal, or you can take the train just like at Wrigley.
- If you need to get out of your row, you don't have to stumble over 83 people to get to an aisle.
- If you need to walk in an aisle, or up and down stairs, you don't have to do gymnastics to get by the person coming the other way.
- No ultracrappy seats where you can only see 1/3 of the field, like up in the Wrigley "terrace" corners.
- No constantly fearing a big chunk of concrete is going to fall through the nets and hit you on the head.
- Darn few Cubs fans.

I used to like going to Wrigley, back when all I had to compare it to was Comiskey. Now I really can't stand it, because the place seems so cramped, inconvenient, and dirty.

Ill take the old school scoreboard and dont need to see a replay ballpark.

Either one is fine with me.

The concessions are run by the same company at both ballparks, so I dont think they are too far off. 

Then why does the stuff at Wrigley, particularly the hot dogs, always taste like paste? OTOH, they do have better access to Old Style at Wrigley.

I frequent both ballparks, and nothing makes me laugh more than the people at the cell on half price ticket night.

Nothing makes me laugh more than a drunken bleacher crowd on a hot summer day at Wrigley. 7/8 of them don't even know the score.

If any ballpark in the city is "yuppified" its Wrigley.

I agree it is, but so has the Sox crowd become that. No longer the rowdy party animals of the old park.

I wanna beat anyone sitting close to me on a cell phone!  Go away if your gonna talk the entire game, I dont get it!

My favorites are the yo-yo's who must stand up to talk on their cell phones. I guess the reception is better standing up.

And now I read the other day that the cell is gonna have wifi.  REALLY?

Well, at least they won't be talking on their phones.

jgp

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »

I think alot of the things you like about the cell is because its half empty, if not more.  I remember a few years back they actually removed some seating.  The thing with the cubs is, they dont need to win to make money.  In fact if they did win, they might actually lose some allure.  This drives me nuts as a fan, the only thing I like better about the cell is it is def. more family friendly, and being a southwest surburbianite, the new metra stop on the rock island island right by the park is nice.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »

I think alot of the things you like about the cell is because its half empty, if not more.

No, the rows really are shorter, and the stairs and aisles wider. Take your tape measure if you don't believe me.

I remember a few years back they actually removed some seating.

Yes they did. Took out about 3,000 seats by sawing off the very top of the bowl. Now it seats about the same as Wrigley.

The thing with the cubs is, they dont need to win to make money.  In fact if they did win, they might actually lose some allure.

As someone who actually goes to the park, either one, to see baseball, that's a sad statement. And IMHO gets me back to what I said originally about Cubs fans accepting anything no matter how bad. Sox fans obviously do not. When the team stinks like it did last year, they don't buy tickets. Sort of how I feel about crappy 5 and 6 horse races.

Though Cubs fans may not be as dumb as I think. My buddy who had three seats pretty close in behind the 3rd-home line for many years decided to give his up this year because they stunk so bad last year and he didn't like the direction they were going. Said the Cubs kept calling and calling begging him to reconsider. Apparently that vaunted 30,000 long waiting list for Cubs' season tickets must have shrunk pretty seriously this past off season. And if they stink again this year, all those Cubs games I will be so unfortunate as to glimpse on tavern TV's late in the Summer and early Fall will once again feature a crowd dressed up as empty seats, much like last season. Buying tickets != actually showing up.  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: