Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 05:00:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: o/t: Sox pitcher Humber perfect game  (Read 1259 times)
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »

And now, back to you for your own last word.

My own "last word"? Perhaps.

The last words in the thread -- the final post? That's you...like moths to a flame, you can't resist, O Faultless One.

Go ahead and prove me wrong -- it will be worth imagining your internal wiring ("...must...have...last...post...") melt down.
Report to moderator   Logged
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »

And PS, thanks for not disappointing on the inevitable "piss on the perfect game" comments, too. Knew that was coming as well.

Well, that's YOUR fault -- the thread already smelled of urine -- yours, from your first post! I merely figured that if you took a leak here, it should be OK for anyone else, too.

Beats the Mariners.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_04_21_chamlb_seamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws

If it wasn't for the Cubs finally winning another game, this would probably be Chicago's biggest baseball news of the day.

You couldn't even get out of your first post IN YOUR OWN THREAD without pissing and whining about the Cubs...further evidence that if the Cubs weren't around to hate, there would be no such thing as a "White Sox Fan"; sad, bitter little lost souls that you guys are.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »

Ah, my two favorite posters are dissing each other again.  My unsolicited take on this is that it was an excellent accomplishment by a good guy against a poor team, but still a major league team.  There are judgment calls on all baseball games that could go either way, but there were no glaring ones in this game. 

This dispute seems more like a Cubs vs Sox thing.  I know Terry is a White Sox fan, but I did not know that HV is a Cubs fan?  This from a proud Southsider?  In any case, hug and make up, guys.  Did you know the Derby is almost here?  By the way, I read that Union Rags worked out with front wraps.  Should I bet him?
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »

Thank God the MLB Network was also covering the game. The kid had some of nastiest stuff I've ever seen, but I want audio when I watch baseball, and Hawk just ruins it. If there is a worse announcer in all of baseball, someone tell me who it is.

(If you're going to say Joe Morgan, don't bother -- he's just bad, but Hawk is many times more awful -- IMO, of course.)

The ump blew the last strike call -- batter checked his swing, easy -- but tough noogies: a Chicago sports team gets a rare favorable call? I can live with that; "perfect game", it's gonna say in the record book, with no asterisk. Makes up for when Bruce Froemming f*cked Milt Pappas out of his perfect game in 1972. It only took 40 years.

After the JIm Joyce incident in Detroit, any call that's close is going to go FOR the pitcher, Umpires don't want to be on television crying (literally) and apologizing for a 'missed call'.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »

That's as close of a check swing call as it can get.  It looked like the bat barely crossed the front of the plate, but he didn't break his wrists.  Neither standard is dispositive, but I doubt there is an ump that wants to start crying the next day like after the Gallaraga call. 
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »

I know Terry is a White Sox fan, but I did not know that HV is a Cubs fan?  This from a proud Southsider?

Yes. I've taken flack for it my whole life.

My dear Gramps grew up on the West Side (right near the old Chicago Stadium), and was a Cubs fan. He took me to my first game -- actually, a double-header (remember those?) vs. the Expos -- early in the ill-fated 1969 season. Ron Santo hit a couple of home runs that looked to my young eyes like they came out of a rocket launcher. I was hooked.

When I was in H.S., the best way to get a date was to invite a girl to a Cubs game. None of us were allowed to go to Comiskey Park, anyway -- even if we wanted to: the Sox played at night, in a dicey neighborhood, and there was an element in the stands that couldn't have a good time unless they were drunk, swearing, and starting fistfights...and those were the cops!

Things have changed for the better in Soxville. That old nonsense with all of the daily violence and drunkenness is no longer tolerated, security in and out of the ballpark is MUCH better now, and the product on the field has been consistently better than it was 20-30 years ago. I actually have gone to more Sox games in the last 10 years than Cubs games, simply because my nephew and one of my sons are Sox fans, and I don't mind spending money on a team that is at least TRYING to be competitive; the Cubs can kiss my ass until they actually win something...no more money for losing teams.

In any case, hug and make up, guys.  Did you know the Derby is almost here?  By the way, I read that Union Rags worked out with front wraps.  Should I bet him?

Aw, Terry's OK -- no LHIOB stuff required. We all like horse racing here -- that's good enough. I just find it funny that he calls YOU the schoolmarm.

Regarding Union Rags, lots of horses work wearing front wraps, so (like most things with bandages), it don't mean much. I've got *other* reasons why you shouldn't bet Union Rags. More on that as we get closer...
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

My own "last word"? Perhaps.

The last words in the thread -- the final post? That's you...like moths to a flame, you can't resist, O Faultless One.

LOL! Just like clockwork ... and then he follows it up with yet another.  screwy

What a tool.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »

That's as close of a check swing call as it can get.  It looked like the bat barely crossed the front of the plate, but he didn't break his wrists.  Neither standard is dispositive, but I doubt there is an ump that wants to start crying the next day like after the Gallaraga call. 

You are correct about neither action being a standard, but as an experienced catcher, I definitely want that strike call for my pitcher if the bat crosses the plate, even if barely: my teams over the years experienced several brutal beats from guys who didn't mean to swing but got a hit anyway, without breaking his wrists.

I didn't apologize for my so-called mistake because I made the call from the camera angle I was provided, which was solely from the center field camera; from that shot, there was simply no way the bat crossed the plate. If I had access to the shot Matt provided, I wouldn't have mentioned the last pitch at all.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »

I didn't apologize for my so-called mistake because I made the call from the camera angle I was provided, which was solely from the center field camera; from that shot, there was simply no way the bat crossed the plate. If I had access to the shot Matt provided, I wouldn't have mentioned the last pitch at all.

I think you're still unclear on the concept.

No one really cares if you apologized or even admitted you were wrong. The "crime", such as it was, was sniping at arlingtonmatt for having the audacity to even post the video that made your statement look wrong.

bang head

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »

I think you're still unclear on the concept.

Well, as usual, you read FAR more into it than what is there, f'd it up royally, and then continued to belabor the (erroneous) point much longer than anyone (other than you) cares.

That said, you ARE in fine "Terry the Corrector" form. You were quiet there for awhile (i.e., less than 6 posts per day), and I was hearing rumors from the internet forum hot stove league that Janine was shopping around for a new Corrector; you may have just saved your job today.  thumbs up
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »

Well, as usual, you read FAR more into it than what is there

As in

Not clear why you felt the need to triumphantly present the video and commend the ump, though, Matt:

3. Most importantly: it's OFFICIAL, so "lighten up, Francis".

then continued to belabor the (erroneous) point much longer than anyone (other than you) cares.

Not an erroneous interp, and not alone, as quite obviously you care far more about it than even me.

That said, you ARE in fine "Terry the Corrector" form.

Which would distance me from what you did in taking matt to the cleaners with your own correction of what it all meant ... how?

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »

Which would distance me from what you did in taking matt to the cleaners with your own correction of what it all meant ... how?

laughing guy

Not to worry, pal -- the job is ALL yours.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

laughing guy

Not to worry, pal -- the job is ALL yours.

The truly amazing thing is you constantly do all the same stuff you continually complain about in other posters, particularly me, but are utterly oblivious.

head shake

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

Just to clarify the check swing rule.

I always thought it was the batter breaking his wrists
Others on here have stated "the bat crossing the plate"

Check-swing

"He broke his wrists", "The bat went past the front of the plate."
 Many people believe those two statements are written in the rules or are written as official interpretations of a strike.
 THEY ARE NOT.

A strike by definition is "a pitch that is struck at by the batter and is missed." It is purely a judgment made by the umpire as to whether the batter "struck at" the pitch. Breaking the wrists or the bat moving beyond the front of the plate or the batter's body, are factors that the umpire may use to make the judgment. Factors is all they are; not definitions.

It is not automatically a strike when a batter holds the bat over the plate preparing to bunt and does not pull it back when the pitch goes by. The same judgment applies. Did the batter "strike at" the pitch?
 It is not automatically a strike when a batter is ducking an inside pitch and he spins around and the bat crosses the plate. The umpire must judge if he was avoiding the pitch or striking at it.

So have to agree with poster Hungry:

Noway was the ump not gonna give Humber the call
Still wish AJ would have throw it away
NO BIGGER DOUCHE IN BASEBALL THAN AJ
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

The truly amazing thing is you constantly do all the same stuff you continually complain about in other posters, particularly me, but are utterly oblivious.

"Constantly" and "all the same stuff", eh? If you are going to exaggerate and generalize, at least go for the whole enchilada, right?

And, "utterly oblivious"? No. I call bullshit on myself, but only when I damn well feel like it, not on your timetable...when the hell have YOU ever admitted you are wrong about something on this forum?

So until you do some self-inspection and soul searching about your own behavior here, you can take your hair-splitting correction crappola and stick it.

And if you feel the need to start crying again about being attacked, go ahead -- I have an unlimited supply of tissues for you, and a mop, bucket and floor squeegee on standby just in case.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »

Check-swing

"He broke his wrists", "The bat went past the front of the plate."
 Many people believe those two statements are written in the rules or are written as official interpretations of a strike.
 THEY ARE NOT.

I know this, but I always laid the "bat went past the plate" argument on the ump if we didn't get the call...and I usually got the NEXT and subsequent calls.

That's why I'm not quibbling with the video Matt provided -- that's EXACTLY the strike call I wanted my pitchers to get.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »

Terry, it is time for you to head west to the fairs, fish, and forumless land of the setting sun.  Time to tend to your vegetables and be far away from the soul-corrupting influence of Arlington and the ominous Mr. D.  Have a good summer free of the imperfections that is made up the horse racing scene.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:02:42 PM by APCD Dan » Report to moderator   Logged
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »

Dan, are you a teacher and did you hang out at Trackside, second level? I recall a father and son teacher combo there.
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »

Humber dominated.  In real time it looked like he went on last pitch.  Not calling the strike would have been galaraga/joyce part deaux.  If the batter runs to first he's safe.  The sox are playing relaxed without ozzie.  Ozzie's act was old after year 4.  At least he got the series for them.  Peavy and aj are playing for contracts and dunn and rios look like the sox were expecting.  And konerko is the same reliable all star and future hall of famer.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »

Lusty Tar Heel:  If you are going to cut and paste from another source, you should put it in quotes and/or provide attribution.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »

Still wish AJ would have throw it away
NO BIGGER DOUCHE IN BASEBALL THAN AJ

AJ has a nice World Series ring, thanks in no small part to his own quick thinking on several occasions. No smarter player in baseball than AJ.

Personally, I would say a bigger douche would have to be that Cubs catcher who cold *** him for no reason at all as AJ crossed the plate in that game at Wrigley. Not to mention all the douche fans who cheered that.

jgp

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »

I don't think sox fans should give tips on classy fan etiquette. 
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »

Sorry faster horses

Yes I cut and pasted   PLEASE forgive me for not  bowing
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »

I don't think sox fans should give tips on classy fan etiquette. 
The fine upstanding father and son duo that ran on the field to attack an ump? 
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »

28/30 so far this year in av. attendance.  Ahead of only Cleveland and Seattle, right behind Kansas City.  At least the Cubs fans are loyal. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: