Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 20, 2014, 08:18:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: o/t: Sox pitcher Humber perfect game  (Read 1225 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »

Beats the Mariners.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_04_21_chamlb_seamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws

If it wasn't for the Cubs finally winning another game, this would probably be Chicago's biggest baseball news of the day.
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »

Thank God I didnt have to hear Hawk-a-roo and the Stone pony call it.

Being the Cub fan I am, I would have loved to see A.J. throw the dropped 3rd strike over Konerkos head.

But nice feat for the kid.  beer
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:57:03 PM »

Thank God I didnt have to hear Hawk-a-roo and the Stone pony call it.

You can put on the board ... YES!

Glad to help.

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »

Terry,

Hey its all good......but seriously after all these years of Hawk, you dont think is act is a little stale?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »

Terry,

Hey its all good......but seriously after all these years of Hawk, you dont think is act is a little stale?

There are other things about the White Sox that need fixing far more than the Hawkaroo. Plus I still enjoy hearing his playing days stories.

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »

MERCY !!!!!!!!!   doh
arlingtonmatt

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »

"I admire perfect games because to me, they resemble Fidel Castro's determination and willingness" - Ozzie Guillen
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »

Hawk has become a joke.  Who really wants to listen to a homer call a game.  And his whole thing with blaming the umps was pathetic.  Stones as solid as they come, great voice, objectionable, knowledgeable, and actually had a career worth listening about.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »

Hawk has become a joke.  Who really wants to listen to a homer call a game.

Thank God the MLB Network was also covering the game. The kid had some of nastiest stuff I've ever seen, but I want audio when I watch baseball, and Hawk just ruins it. If there is a worse announcer in all of baseball, someone tell me who it is.

(If you're going to say Joe Morgan, don't bother -- he's just bad, but Hawk is many times more awful -- IMO, of course.)

The ump blew the last strike call -- batter checked his swing, easy -- but tough noogies: a Chicago sports team gets a rare favorable call? I can live with that; "perfect game", it's gonna say in the record book, with no asterisk. Makes up for when Bruce Froemming f*cked Milt Pappas out of his perfect game in 1972. It only took 40 years.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »

If there is a worse announcer in all of baseball, someone tell me who it is.

The worst ever have thankfully passed on to even give Hawk this shot - Harry Caray and Ron Santo.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »

The worst ever have thankfully passed on to even give Hawk this shot - Harry Caray and Ron Santo.

I love Ronnie. He bled Cubbie blue, pretty much from the time he started playing for the Cubs until his death.

But as an announcer? You're right -- he was terrible. Some 9 year old kids can control their emotions better than Santo did when things went wrong for the Cubs...and as often as that happened, he had ample opportunity to learn self-control.

Hard to listen to a so-called professional announcer moan like that; same with Hawk and his "Dadgummit!" crap.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »

Well, since I am actually a Sox fan instead of some "disinterested" listener, I'll have to say Hawk really doesn't bother me. His emotions during a game pretty much mirror my own.

nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »

Well, since I am actually a Sox fan instead of some "disinterested" listener, I'll have to say Hawk really doesn't bother me. His emotions during a game pretty much mirror my own.
I always thought the teams announcers were supposed to be "homers".A perfect game transcends all though.What a feat!!I like where Humber said he hoped his wife(9 months pregnant)wouldn't go into labor because of the tension.Nice touch.
tapetea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »

Let's hope Humber does a little better than Buehrle after throwing the perfecto. It took Buehrle nine starts to win his next game and was 0-4 during that time.
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

A homer to a certain degree, often works better for a color man.  Santo was a homer, big time, but Pat Hughes covered his a$$.  But I think Hawk takes the cake good guys vs. bad guys, blaming umpires for loses.  Its pretty pathetic, I guess if your a fan its bearable.  But as a Cub fan I cant listen to it.  Len Casper sucks too.  I'd love to have Stone back in the booth at Wrigley.
arlingtonmatt

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »

The ump blew the last strike call -- batter checked his swing, easy -- but tough noogies: a Chicago sports team gets a rare favorable call? I can live with that; "perfect game", it's gonna say in the record book, with no asterisk. Makes up for when Bruce Froemming f*cked Milt Pappas out of his perfect game in 1972. It only took 40 years.

The bat clearly crosses over the plate. Great call by the ump.
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »

I wonder why the batter wasnt full speed out of the box, he might have made it to first.
pezz97

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »

The bat clearly crosses over the plate. Great call by the ump.
Thank you Matt. Never got to see that angle till now. I can now say he clearly went.

As for Hawk, I am a big Sox fan and can't stand him. Stone can't even bail him out. He has become a laughing stock

hungry

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 06:54:06 AM »

Thank you Matt. Never got to see that angle till now. I can now say he clearly went.

As for Hawk, I am a big Sox fan and can't stand him. Stone can't even bail him out. He has become a laughing stock

Can o Corn DJ, can o corn!

trophy
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »

Wonder where THAT shot came from. MLB Network didn't show it -- at least, not during or immediately after the broadcast.

From straight on, it looks like the batter successfully checked his swing; I went with what they gave me.

Not clear why you felt the need to triumphantly present the video and commend the ump, though, Matt:

1. Even if it now clear that the last pitch was swung on and the ump was correct, there were plenty of "gifts" from that home plate ump. Ask any non-homer who watched the game.

2. The Mariners fans -- all 17 of them -- have collectively expressed a desire to see an asterisk next to the perfect game in the record books, not because of any controversial calls, but because it came against the Mariners. (I don't know AL baseball, but I get the idea that beating the Mariners is considered the same level of non-acheivement as beating the Cubs.)

3. Most importantly: it's OFFICIAL, so "lighten up, Francis".
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »

Not clear why you felt the need to triumphantly present the video and commend the ump, though, Matt:

It's the same as any other statement with which you take issue on this forum. If you have actual proof of that issue to the contrary of what was stated, and you feel like posting it, you post it. Hard evidence is not some personal insult.

3. Most importantly: it's OFFICIAL, so "lighten up, Francis".

Exactly. Lighten up. The proper response was posted by Pezz.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »

It's the same as any other statement with which you take issue on this forum. If you have actual proof of that issue to the contrary of what was stated, and you feel like posting it, you post it. Hard evidence is not some personal insult.

Exactly. Lighten up. The proper response was posted by Pezz.

Somehow, I just KNEW you would chime in on my response. Thanks for not disappointing me.  Wink
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »

Somehow, I just KNEW you would chime in on my response. Thanks for not disappointing me.  Wink

Had it planned out, because somehow I just KNEW you would have to go after arligntonmatt for posting facts that refuted your expert call of that last out. Thanks for not disappointing ME.

And PS, thanks for not disappointing on the inevitable "piss on the perfect game" comments, too. Knew that was coming as well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:36:43 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »

Had it planned out, because somehow I just KNEW you would have to go after arligntonmatt for posting facts that refuted your expert call of that last out. Thanks for not disappointing ME.

And PS, thanks for not disappointing on the inevitable "piss on the perfect game" comments, too. Knew that was coming as well.

LOL! I suppose you'd have us believe that I anticipated your need to have the last word on this topic, as well.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »

LOL! I suppose you'd have us believe that I anticipated your need to have the last word on this topic, as well.

Good point, and thanks for your permission. It IS my topic, after all, a thread started by me, which you attempted to stink up with a dismissive and inaccurate claim. Much thanks to arlingtonmatt for calling you on your inaccuracy with actual fact.

Then quite predictably and as always, you attacked the messenger for daring to cross you, rather than simply saying, "Oh, I was wrong" like a normal person would, and so quite predictably I called you on that, too.

And now, back to you for your own last word.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: