Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 12:56:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horse runs in  (Read 2214 times)
Hardline

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »

What might be the most likely cause for a horse to run in during the mile---??  No hike ---no nod.... Huh Huh
Report to moderator   Logged
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »

What might be the most likely cause for a horse to run in during the mile---??  No hike ---no nod.... Huh Huh
First off, I am assuming you mean the horse is staying on gait, but is bearing in.
If I would ever post or say "Run in" ,I would mean the horse is on the literal run.

Second, Is the horse bearing in all the time? If so get out your copy of Care and Training and start reading.

My experience has been that most all horses will bear in on the turns and out on the stretches.
Why in on the turns. Horses are no dummies. They know the shortest way around.
Why out in the stretches. Their own centrifugal force will care them out as they come out of a turn.

If you think a horse may be bearing in on the turns because of lameness or a bad gait, then train him going the opposite way of the track, and see if he still wants to go to the left.
Good luck and good reading.
These types of problems have turned many a good horse trainer into a down and out drunk.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »

Looking in I saw a horse doing this also when his mouth was bothering. no nod no hike when money was spent for a real good dentist and I dont mean power tooling his teeth away either Im talking honest to good feel file check bite file some more check bite. Made a heck of a difference.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
BabyFireFly

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:35:10 AM »

I agree with Fuzzy on starting with his mouth....we got one that was inside the pylons on each turn and just hanging on the one line - previous trainer had all sorts of junk on his head - steering bar, roller burrs, etc. We had the dentist come out (you could feel the sharp points in his mouth and he would dribble his feed) and he's straight as an arrow now.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

Hi Baby Fire Fly,

for me as a owner I like to be their when anything is done on my horse.
the guy I have float my horses teeth explain every thing in a horses mouth for my what point on a tooth cause in the bite of the horse and carrying a bit he also will have me feel the point and explain why he is doing and then after filing has me feel the tooth so I would understand the difference then shows me how to check the bite of the horse and what  affect it has on  his mouth and so on and so on with every point checking with every file the bite of the horse and then seeing how the final product should be when a horses head is up and with it down in a grazing posistion.

I dont think most realize the basic problems one may have with a horse until the basics are understood and taken care of. Not saying that about all horsemen but I think so many times in racing we get so use to putting quick fixes and bandaids to get the horse to race sometimes a horse looks like a patch worked quilt.
Im not saying this about this paticular post. opinions and ideas from everyone are so important to help us look out side the box or reminds us of something we had forgotten about.

Ruffie Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »

What happened? Who was right?
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »

I wandr too not about being right or wrong just 8 eyes are better than two some times yur just to close to the situation.

funny this kid said to me his horse was really rough gaited in the turn I asked if he did the horses teeth and he said you think the teeth make a horse rough gaited in the turn I said no not one bit but you can feel him better to help him when his mouth feels good he understands what you are saying with the lines and you will learn what gives him confidence when hes ruff.

Ruffie Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »

trotter
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »

trotter
Who knows maybe the hoss got claimed?