Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 11:07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad accident at Harrington race 1  (Read 8570 times)
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 06:53:49 PM »

on youbet.com replays. not free site if you have the pay site replay is up. just sickening, very sad.

I'll possibly post the video later.  Not sure if I want to spread this around.

Best,
EW
Report to moderator   Logged

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
purdueboy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 06:59:38 PM »

Our prayers are with Mr Belote's friends and family, and to those involved in the accident as well.  God Bless

Kelly Haynes
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 07:09:23 PM »

Our prayers are with Mr Belote's friends and family, and to those involved in the accident as well.  God Bless

Kelly Haynes

Kelly,

I agree wholeheartedly.  His family will be in my prayers tonight.  It's the worst nightmare of anyone who loves the game.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Rollinsmolin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 08:14:06 PM »

i see the horse that went down .... Was trying to jump the shadow in that turn .... thats when all went wrong

loved by many hated by most rollinsmolin aka bobby
prettypony

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 08:57:07 PM »

This horrible accident effects us all to coast to coast. As having horses all of my life, I could not even imagine the horrible thought to maybe see your father your brother your sister going too drive the horse. The only thing you can try to remember is Mr. Belote was doing what he love to do. I hope you know are hope and prays are with you and your family..... The Arnold Family
Mike Bozich

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 09:15:12 PM »

Something like this makes you appreciate drivers all the more. Humans behind animals traveling at better then 30 MPH is a very dangerous thing, make no mistake about it. I pray to God that I will never have to call something like that. Its very sad.
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 10:22:40 PM »

Harness racing driver killed in track accident at Harrington RacewayTwo other drivers seriously injuredUpdate 7:35 pm

By ANDRE R. TAYLOR
The News Journal

05/15/2006
DOVER -- Hal Belote, a veteran driver with nearly 2,000 career victories and $11 million in purses, was killed Monday during the first race at Harrington Raceway when his horse stumbled and fell.

The 51-year-old was driving Atenothnbutdscootr past the half-mile mark, in the lead, when the horse fell and took out drivers Brandon Givens and Steve Warrington, who were close behind and unable to avoid the fallen horse.

Belote, of Williamstown, N.J., is the first driver to be killed at a Delaware harness racing track, according to Judy Davis Wilson, director of the Delaware Standardbred Breeders Fund. Wayne Smullin, 41, died in August 1983 from injuries he sustained in a racing accident at the defunct Freestate Raceway in Laurel, Md.

“It’s very rare,” Wilson said. “[Drivers] have accidents, but for it to be fatal, it’s rare. The horse takes a misstep, and you have a domino effect.”

Hugh Gallagher, administrator for the Delaware Harness Racing Commission, said the race was shaping up like a normal race when Belote’s horse “knuckled over.”

“It’s like stubbing your toe when you’re going 35 miles an hour or more,” Gallagher said. “You’ve got a lot of weight, and a lot of speed combined.”

Gallagher said Belote was hit by Warrington’s horse, racing immediately behind, and then by Givens’ rig, which he said “apparently had considerable impact” with Belote.

“Mr. Belote received a great deal of medical attention on the track, as did the two other drivers,” Gallagher said.

Belote was pronounced dead at Milford Memorial Hospital, said Lt. Doug Phillips of the Kent County paramedics. He said paramedics were called to the track at 5:38 p.m.

The remainder of the 15-race program was canceled. Belote was also scheduled to drive Night’s Echo in the fourth race.

Givens, 19, of Seaford, was taken by ambulance to Milford Memorial Hospital, then transferred to Christiana Hospital. Warrington, 54, of Galena, Md., was flown to Christiana. Both suffered leg injuries.

Officials from Christiana Hospital did not release any information about their condition.

A successful career

None of the horses involved in the accident appeared to be seriously injured.

Belote won 1,986 races in his career. His first career driving win was at Harrington Raceway in 1977.

He also was an established trainer and had one of the higher winning percentages among trainers in Delaware for the past 10 years. Perhaps his best horse was trotting mare Smashing Jane GT, who won nearly $300,000 and was a track record holder at Harrington.

Atenothnbutdscootr is a 6-year-old male horse that has competed at the raceway for the past three years, Harrington spokesman Matt Sparacino said. He said the horse was not suffering from anything that would cause him not to race.

Track conditions were fine, Sparacino said.

“We’ve had incidents like this before that caused a domino effect,” Sparacino said. “But nothing like this.”

Trainer-driver Les Givens, Brandon’s father, was at the track and said Belote’s horse, Atenothnbutdscootr, just dropped right down in front of them.

“Stevie was first over and Brandon second over. There were four horses on the inside of the track and four on the outside,” Les Givens said. “From there it was a chain reaction. Brandon said he saw the horse drop, but there was nothing he could do. It happened so quick they didn't have time to do anything.

“It looked [from the replay] that Hal went down hard and hit his chest.”

Family involved with racing

Wilson, director of the breeders fund, and Belote grew up together in the Bridgeville area, where their fathers were harness racing drivers. Belote’s father, John, died in November at age 74. Belote’s brother, Sammy, also is a harness driver and trainer who lives in the Harrington area. Sammy was scheduled to drive in the 14th race Monday at Harrington.

“There’s not a politer guy out there,” Wilson said of Hal Belote, whom she had seen in the past two weeks. “It’s just so sad. He always had a smile, always spoke to you.”

Wilson said Harrington officials made the right decision in canceling the remainder of Monday’s racing program.

“It was the respectful thing to do for his family,” she said.

Delaware State Police spokesman Cpl. Jeff Oldham said police were investigating the incident as an industrial accident.

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

The answer to a government thats too big is to stop feeding its growth. - President Ronald W. Reagan
emp

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 11:02:04 PM »

Got this message from a girl out East through MySpace.com....
http://www.myspace.com/sleepy3288

Hal was a great guy and a great horsemen. He did something he loved and was great at it. I knew Hal and paddocked for him and he will be missed everywhere. Just if this is read take a moment of silence for Hal and his family. It is horrible to see an accident happen while on the track and especailly when the circumstances end up like this. Please take a moment for Hal and his family. Also for the others that were involved and injured that they recover fast........Megan

bobcat

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 11:02:32 PM »

Very Sad, It makes you sick in the pit of your stomach that you can be taken from this earth in a split second !Our thoughts and prayers go out to the freinds and  family.  Sad , very Sad....         Dean Magee Family
emp

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 11:05:30 PM »

RIP HAROLD 'HAL' BELOTE

emp

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

Harness Racer Dies in Harrington Crash

HARRINGTON (AP) - A harness racing driver was killed Monday when his horse stumbled and fell during the opening race at Harrington Raceway, a track official said.

Two other drivers were seriously injured in the accident about5:30 p.m., said Patti Key, chief financial officer for the track.

"A horse fell and other bikes went out of control," she said.

Key identified the dead driver as Hal Belote, 51, a veteran driver from New Jersey.

"His horse was the one that went down," she said.

Key identified the other drivers as Brandon Givens and Steve Warrington.

According to a news release posted on the track's Web site, Warrington was flown by helicopter to Christiana Hospital in Newark with leg and rib injuries. Givens was also taken to Christiana, suffering from an apparent broken leg.

Belote was driving Atenothnbutdscootr past the half-mile mark when his horse fell, according to the news release. Givens and Warrington were unable to avoid the fallen horse.

Belote was pronounced dead shortly after the accident.

Key said it was not clear if Atenothnbutdscootr lost a shoe or something else caused the accident.   

"It's just an accident than can happen in this business," she said.

Belote won 1,986 races in his career, amassing nearly $11 million in purse money, and worked as a trainer as well as a driver.

http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=4908176
emp

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 11:24:41 PM »

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 11:26:44 PM by emp » Report to moderator   Logged
bigdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »

emp you need to remove that video
bigdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2006, 11:32:16 PM »

Thank You.
micha goss

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006, 11:33:45 PM »

I just saw the race on replay. Wow.
emp

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2006, 11:36:35 PM »

It was removed immediately per someone else's request.

Seemed like the horse saw the shadow of one of the light poles, tried to jump it, tripped and went down, causing the pile up.

I'll send the link via PM only.... thanks bigdaddy and others.
Rollinsmolin

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006, 11:52:56 PM »

jumped the shadow .... then cought a shoe or something and then tragedy struck

loved by many hated by most rollinsmolin aka bobby
Dan Nance

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 12:09:06 AM »

I just got my computer hooked back up after moving all day Sunday. Very sad news to say the least. Something like this is rare but when it does happen it makes you stop and think just how dangerous it is out there for both horse and driver.

Rest in peace Mr. Belote.   
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 01:15:48 AM »

Oh man--I did just watch the replay.  That really was a bad one and my prayers go out
to the Belote family--he lost his life doing something that he loved to do.

I also take back everything I said about the $25.00 driver guarantee in Chicago.  This
changed my mind.
emp

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2006, 02:39:18 AM »

The response has been overwhelming.

Please stop for a minute and think of Harold 'Hal' Belote and send prayers to him and his family. Also consider the risks other drivers are taking when those who abuse with alcohol and drug use while racing. Integrity of our sport is always in question in times like this. We need to educate the public more about the risks and rewards of the sport of harness racing.

Let's keep it fun, clean and honest.

Thank you.
vcackerman

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 04:49:25 AM »

I can remember some awful accidents in Chicago throughout the years and they all are horrific events to watch.   My thoughts and prayers go out to the Belote clan.

brenda

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 05:57:25 AM »

A sad day for racing. My prayers to all involved. If anyone gets funeral service info please post it. I wish the rest a speedy recovery.
shuffledagain

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 06:31:33 AM »

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Belote family. 

Last in 24.2, "something ain't right with that!"
mgriffin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 08:46:04 AM »

To the entire Belote family and anyone else that knew him, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

MG-- flag
thebigm

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 10:39:48 AM »

My thoughts and prayers are with the Belote family.  Rest In Peace
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:27:05 AM by thebigm » Report to moderator   Logged

I sure miss the good 'ol days!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: