Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 09:46:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would love to hear some opinions!  (Read 1872 times)
fuzzypants

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »

Ive seen some trainers after a horse races the horses feet are done up and the legs and rubbed out and all kinds of things.
then i see some trainers that dont do anything but bathe the horse and dont do legs and feet and rub out a horse.
the story ive gotten from the guy who doesnt is he wants to see how his horse looks the next morning after he races.
now I want to hear some real trainers and grooms take on these two systems.
Report to moderator   Logged

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
BabyFireFly

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Mine get their legs done up once they get home, so they have a chance to dry and you can spot any "puffs" before putting them away.
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »

fuzzy.  i will answer this question two ways.
first, if I'm working for somebody else and he/she wants the horse done up with alcohol, poultice, absobine, or air, that's what ill do the horse up in. if he/she doesn't want bandages then that's what they get. I'm a firm believer that as long as I'm working for somebody,I do what they want. its their dime. my only choice is, if i work there or not. that's my only decision.
second if its my horse I'm with fire fly. i don't like to do horses up wet. the water will act like a counter irritant. a mild one but a counter irritant none the less. something simple like done up with witch hazel and alcohol on a dry leg is fine for me. i like doing horses up when they ride  in a trailer. you never know when you will have to slam on the brakes or make a sudden swerve and the horse in an enclosed space has little room to maneuver. if a set of bandages is the differences between a hit tendon or a clean leg, well then its an easy choice. if the horse suffers an injury from the race that night i.e. a strained tendon, a torn suspensory that may not be seen till the next morning, im sorry to say, it will still be there bandages or not. only time and care will help these type of injuries. I've seen more problems with people trying to do too much and irritating the skin to the point of blistering the leg. that's why i like witch hazel. its cool and easy on the skin. as far as poulticing directly after a race, (feet and legs) most of the time were racing at night and by the time we get home its late and morning is right around the corner. for me a poultice is only good if you can leave it on an extended period of time so wait till the next morning when you can leave it on till the next day.  there are ways of keeping it wet for that long. Ive never been a fan of just putting poultice on and leaving it open. its dry in a couple hours and not doing you any good after that. if you Wait till the next day before applying it. you can see how much heat and pulse the feet are carrying. so use common sense and do whatever works for you. all people and all horses are different. it all comes done to, whatever works for you and whatever you are comfortable with.   swoop
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:45:05 PM by swoopdaddy » Report to moderator   Logged
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »

As Swoop posted. It makes a big difference who owns the horse , who is the boss, and weather you are personally doing the work or if you are telling someone else to do the work.

The horses I own myself do not get done up (stall bandages or poultice) at any time until they show a problem.
 When I look at the horse's legs in the morning, I want to know, that  if they are tight and sound, that they are that way because the horse is sound not because of artificial means.
If they are suspect in the morning, then I know it is time to drop the claiming price and look for a buyer.
The time saved allows me to train one more horse ,and that horse may be the difference between red and black at tax time.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »

I should have added that to my response, like looking in, most of our horses are not even done up. The ones that are have issues, the clean legged ones do not live under wraps unless they develop an issue. I had some problems in the past with horses getting wraps thrown on as soon as they were done getting bathed and I ended up with skin problems that turned into secondary lameness from being skin sore....and it takes time to get the hair back on them once that stuff happens. Also, unless they are racing or training, they do not get baths after daily workouts....since we stopped overbathing their heels and feet are in much better shape.
Mort the Sport

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:00:56 AM »

Ive seen some trainers after a horse races the horses feet are done up and the legs and rubbed out and all kinds of things.
then i see some trainers that dont do anything but bathe the horse and dont do legs and feet and rub out a horse.
the story ive gotten from the guy who doesnt is he wants to see how his horse looks the next morning after he races.
now I want to hear some real trainers and grooms take on these two systems.
It sounds like some people make all kinds of excuses for just being plain lazy for the most part if you have to wait after racing a horse more less every week to not know any of his issues in the first place maybe you shouldnt have a horse..of course theres a few exceptions and the list goes on,,,
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »

MOrt that is exactly how I feel about trainers when Im given that kind of hot smoke. So out comes the lead rope.  trophy

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 04:28:32 AM »

After reading all of your opinions and your great insight. I have watched the knew groom for 5 wks now and what is so interesting reading all of your ideas and the way you do things I have seen this guy use all methods on my horses without saying one word to him and the horses legs look very nice and hooves very good. but I have to say this poor little guy of mine really only has one good hoof and the groom does something different all the time on his feet and legs. My horses stall never ever smells like urine either  always clean no matter what time I come around to check on him.
thanks for giving me some ideas as to what to watch for a little extra tlc the groom may do. when i see it I reward him.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: