Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 22, 2014, 03:25:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: To Those of You Born 1930 - 1979  (Read 2780 times)
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »

Good stuff, Bowserkat....now if you did all those things in TODAY's society, this would be the result -

1)  Your parents would sue the community that installed the sidewalk that caused a 'trip crack' that resulted in your injuries.   For good measure, they'd also sue the bike manufacturer for an unsafe vehicle.

2)  The Nuns and the Diocese would be sued and also the manufacturer of the three cornered rulers.

3)  Bus?   What's a bus?   You'd get dropped off at the front gate - driven there by a parent or friend in the SUV and the 'penny arcade' will have been replaced by 'dollar games' and you would use a charge card to advance money to play with.

4)  Cutting Kindergarten?   Now THAT's nasty - who cuts kindergarten?

By the way, Vegas Jay talked about a swift stoke of the paddle and yet he survived.  You bet we did!   It damn well worked but today the lawyers, the ACLU, the bleeding heart liberals would have a picnic with such inhumane and degrading treatment!  I recall in high school in the south suburbs how the macho jock coaches wouldn't take any crap from anybody and we guys knew it!   Once in awhile some yahoo would smart off to a coach or do something else that was stupid and they'd get thrown into a wall or bowled over - I witness this myself and you know what - everybody got the message and survived.
Report to moderator   Logged
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »

WBKB, channel 7.

KJC, glad I'm not the only one who remembers things like call letters. Did anyone here listen to WCFL as a kid?
Wasn't "Here's Geraldine" on ch 7?

I was born in the Chicago suburb of Berwyn but moved with my family to Southern California in 1951 at the age of 6 and spent the next 30 years there.

In California junior high and high schools back then, the teachers had a very effective manner of enforcing discipline upon kids who disregarded the rules: THEY WOULD GIVE THEM A SWAT ON THE REAR END WITH A PING PONG PADDLE OR SIMILAR DEVICE!

I'm not talking about a love tap, either. They would wind up and hit your bottom full force, and I can tell you from all the many times I was on the receiving end --- in retrospect, deservedly so --- it stung like hell!

Today, such activity would bring immediately legal action against the school and a trip to jail on an assault charge for the teacher.

But you know what? I survived, and so did my other classmates who ran afoul of the teachers' rules. It helped me stay in line and pay attention, and I dare say after looking at the sorry state of today's youth that the bible was certainly correct in stating "spare the rod, spoil the child!"

Oh, for the good old days.....

Jay, in 8th grade I had accumulated more detentions than there were days left in the year to serve them. In order to graduate, I got one whack with the paddle for every unserved detenetion, 5 as I recall.

It must have worked, I didn't come close to getting 5 detentions during 4 years of HS.

I've come to the conclusion that the 21st century is not all it was cracked up to be.   Man, I not only look like my grandfather but I sound like him too!

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 12:50:54 PM »

Here's Geraldine was another Kid's TV Show in Chicago in the 60's hosted by Jim Stewart and his wife (known as 'Bud').   Jim died about 6 years ago I am sorry to report.   

WCFL?   At am1000 many of the jocks there were friends of mine, but not as many as those from rival WLS.   Barney Pip has passed away, and just recently Jim Stagg died.   From WLS, Dick Biondi is still around - just saw him and spoke to him briefly while he was hosting a remote in the Yorktown Mall in December.....same crazy guy he was 40 years ago.   My old friend Art Roberts died awhile ago, Dex Card and Ron Riley (Ron has a website with lots of old WLS memories on it) are retired but still with us, Clark Weber is still on the air, Don Philips and Bernie Allen are aging but active in their retirement too.....do you recall the famous voice of Dick Orkin (i.e., "Chickenman") or perhaps Ray Van Steen the voice and creator of "Peter Fugitive?"   
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »

do you recall the famous voice of Dick Orkin (i.e., "Chickenman")

What I recall was that the  "Chickenman" was everywhere in rapid repetitive succession.

Kenneth J. Chadwick   

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »

Okay, Kenneth, this one's for you! (and anybody else that cares to view and listen.....)

www.danoday.com/chickenman

www.audiotheater.com/cman.html
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »

Dale,
Reelradio.com used to post free airchecks from 60's DJ's, I listened to a 1967 Barney Pip show (turn into peanut butter) a couple years ago, now I see they charge $12.00 for a subscription. Not that much of a charge for a full year.

Who can name the song that Jerry G Bishop recorded?

vegas jay

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »

Michigan Dale:

Wow, you brought back a name out of the past...Dick Biondi! For several years somewhere between the late-50s and late-60s he was a DJ on one of L.A.'s biggest rock stations, KRLA, 1110 AM, Pasadena. He's still on the air? Man, he's gotta be a lot older than me, and I'm 63.

Glad you agree that a little swat discipline was good for us kids when we were too rowdy. The most painful one, by far, came when a buddy of mine and I were caught snapping each other with towels in the shower room after P.E. class in the 8th grade, despite the presence of signs all over that said, "No Towel Snapping""

We both got our fannies burned to a beet-red color by an ex-Marine P.E. teacher who stood 5-foot-8 and weighed about 220 lbs. of solid muscle. He wound up and smacked us on our bare asses with a ping pong paddle with a force that nearly drove us through the wall. I had to attend my next class standing up in the back of the room! Man, that stung!!

But I survived.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 05:33:51 AM by vegas jay » Report to moderator   Logged
Dan Villeky

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »

Anyone remember the National Barn Dance show broadcast over WLS from the old "8th Street Theater" (It was actually Wabash and 8th). That may pre-date most of you 'cause I was only maybe 6 or 7 when my aunt took me and a cousin into the BIG city for that one. Every saturday night at seven hosted by Red Foley, a huge name in country music circles later in his life.
Those paddles were still in use when we came back into the country from Venezuela and my daughters enrolled in the fifth and fourth grades in Mt. Carmel, Tennessee. The school super called the wife and I in and explained the policy than asked if we objected. That would have been 1982.
rock

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »

We had the stingray bikes with the banana seat, put the rookie cards or checklists in the spokes. Couldn't guess how many Nolan Ryan rookie cards I trashed this way. Who knew. Never had a helmet until I started playing football in high school, forget about riding a bike or a pick up football game. If you wore any kind of protective stuff you be called a sissy for a week in our neighborhood.
In the summer we would play outside all day long, drank from the creek, now we send our kids out with bottled water and gatorade. Not to mention the sunblock and snacks. I learned to play sports in the streets and the sandlots, got my rear kicked by the older guys, those were important lessons in growing up.
We didn't lock our doors at night either back then, now most of the homes around me have alarm systems. We also knew every family on the block, I am sure I do not know 75% of my neighbors.
My mother cooked every meal everyday, we never went out to a restaurant unless it was a very special occasion. I have friends that eat almost every meal out, never cook. Times have changed....
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »

It may not be harness racing but this is a fun thread....jogging (harness related word) plenty of great memories!

VEGAS JAY - Dick Biondi is back on the air in Chicago from 8-midnight on 94.7 FM, naturally its a Classic Oldies station.   
Here is a website for the station and you'll find both old pic's of Dick along with a 'today' picture of the old boy.
www.947trueoldies.com  Enjoy!
Balmoral Buddy

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »

WCFL?   At am1000 many of the jocks there were friends of mine, but not as many as those from rival WLS.   Barney Pip has passed away, and just recently Jim Stagg died.   From WLS, Dick Biondi is still around - just saw him and spoke to him briefly while he was hosting a remote in the Yorktown Mall in December.....same crazy guy he was 40 years ago.     

Does anybody remember Biondi getting kicked off the air for his version of "On Top Of A Pizza"??
vegas jay

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 05:51:35 AM »

It may not be harness racing but this is a fun thread....jogging (harness related word) plenty of great memories!

VEGAS JAY - Dick Biondi is back on the air in Chicago from 8-midnight on 94.7 FM, naturally its a Classic Oldies station.   
Here is a website for the station and you'll find both old pic's of Dick along with a 'today' picture of the old boy.
www.947trueoldies.com  Enjoy!

Dale:I tuned in and I've been listening tonight and really enjoying it. It's a great station with great oldies, bringing back a lot of memories!

Thanks,
Jay
Jeepers

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 07:57:42 AM »

This will sound snarky, but hey, maybe the Diocese SHOULD have been sued (oh, it has been?)

And that creek -- since everyone lives around it now, or where it USED to be, the Gatorade or bottled water is preferrable (though tap would be fine -- why all that plastic?) Some of those children of the '30s and '40s went on to pass clean-air and clean-water legislation, bless them.

My mom made all my meals, too, even AFTER she returned to the work force. Talk about double duty (the old man couldn't be bothered).

The sorry state of today's youth? I'm not sure what that means, or how to quantify it. I DO know that a high school I'm familiar with offers two semesters of of college-credit calculus (in addition to college-credit courses in other subjects), while my high school, when I graduated, offered a mere introductory class called "Math Analysis." And to get college-level credits, you had to go off-campus. Plus, kids have to pass standardized tests now to graduate.  Teen pregnancy and chemical use are hardly out of control compared with past years. Abortions declined for many years, until a recent small spike.

I think kids today are pretty education-minded (kids of the aforementioned era didn't have to be, as much). Yeah, today's kids are loud and impudent and immodest (put a SHIRT on, girl!), but really, what's new when comparing one generation's standards with the next?

As far as suing ruler manufacturers and builders of sidewalks, I think our concern over toys manufactured in China shows that product liability has never gone out of style. Nor should it.

Snarky. Sorry. I liked them banana-seat bikes, too, though they could jar the nards.

Goodfella

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 10:51:33 AM »

Sounds like you are a teacher at a north shore academy.The useless zombies that are considered today's youth are generally rude,aloof with pants down to their ass and with an attention span of a fruitfly.These kids today in general are braindead punks.

It's not too late to change the road you're on.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »

Does anybody remember Biondi getting kicked off the air for his version of "On Top Of A Pizza"??
I sure may be wrong ,but I thought Biondi got kicked off for saying on air "If skirts get any higher the girls will have another head of hair to comb.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Goodfella

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 03:22:56 PM »

I sure may be wrong ,but I thought Biondi got kicked off for saying on air "If skirts get any higher the girls will have another head of hair to comb.
I didn't hear it but it sure sounds like him.He's part of the summer cruizin scene in Chicago that's for sure.Nothing like an old car show and oldies filling the air on a summer night. 8) flag

It's not too late to change the road you're on.
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »

"More hair to comb, and two more cheeks to powder....."
The song On Top Of a Pizza actually was played many times and sold severall thousand copies in and around Chicagoland

Remember, "On Top of a Pizza,
                 All covered with cheese....
                 I met my first meetball,
                 Til somebody sneezed...."

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »

"More hair to comb, and two more cheeks to powder....."
The song On Top Of a Pizza actually was played many times and sold severall thousand copies in and around Chicagoland

Remember, "On Top of a Pizza,
                 All covered with cheese....
                 I met my first meetball,
                 Til somebody sneezed...."

You are so right about the cheeks.
I was out plowing snow a trying to remember the cheeks part. I knew there was something else ,but just couldn't come up with it.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »

I always thought it was because of the joke he (supposedly) told about the kids who went to the ballgame: he kissed her on the strikes, she kissed him on the balls!

Ah!  Good old urban legends!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: