Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 21, 2014, 02:58:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yonkers Going Back to a Mile  (Read 1069 times)
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »

I think someone finally crunched the numbers and saw that they were giving away $20,000 a race in handle because there has been no bell on the 1 1/16 races......You also have a better shot to win because all that gate money will be flowing in every race on the leavers and you just concentrate your money on the races the closers figure to dominate and scoop up all that extra gravy......
Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »

I'd be happier if they just timed the last mile.  Sometimes I get the feeling they're just adding 7 seconds or so anyway.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
FVRedhot

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »

Dolfan nailed it!  Why they did not offer a 1 mile time is beyond me.  Yes, it could have been done independently by a prudent handicapper, but to be honest, there are far too many other products out there that are just as profitable and require no such work.  Yonkers is like the ill-bred people that you see on Jerry Springer...married to John once, divorced, married cousing Bob, divorced, back to John a second time, and cheated on John with Bob.  Just choose a mate and stick with it, but make the marraige the best it can be.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »

I'd just be happy if the actually meant one minute to post, instead of ten....
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »

I'd be happier if they just timed the last mile.  Sometimes I get the feeling they're just adding 7 seconds or so anyway.

The T-Breds have been doing it for years.....The runup for a mile race at Del Mar is 220 feet......Thats why every first quarter is 22 and people think they are flying......At Gulfstream the mile turf races have a 5 foot runup......So the quarters are 24 and change and everyone thinks they are crawling.......Its all in the run-ups......At Pimlico.......The 6 furlong races are contested with a 0 runup....Thats why you rarely ever see a first 1/4 under 23 seconds in a sprint race there because the timer starts with the horses at a standstill and not full speed (like Monmouth)

SHOWTIME!!!
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »

In harness it slows down the actual 1st 1/4.  Maywoods 1st 1/4s are slower now than they used to be on the timer but likely no different in real time.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
VicD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »

They figured out a way to make the outside posts more competitive and the handle is down $20K per race? Not likely..They were never handling anywhere near $100K per race consistently.
The one foot of staggering start per post position (or thereabouts) is bullshit.
The 8 hole on the 1/2s still don't win enough, but they have a shot at Yonkers now..
As for "ringing the bell" (if I understand this correctly), that's from 30 years ago.
Try that at Chester, especially with an inside post and you will be running for the poker room soon..
The extra 1/16 has actually made me bet Yonkers whereas I would not in the past..
I find it much more interesting than the old days where you clobber the 1-2 exacta for $400 and you get back $8 if you got it right..
Doesn't matter though, the game is not progressing at all, and the regression will make it a non factor soon..
dnnj1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

They did time the mile but it only showed on the actual feed and not on the charts.  Why don't they go back to mile racing but move the start finish line up 1/16 this way the outside horses still have a chance to leave and not barrel into the turn doing it.

Biggest problem with YR racing is they promote uncompetitive racing, they need to remove the earnings caps from NW's races and even claimers.  This is promoting people burying and racing their horses well over their head, in the final week of racing at the track there was a NW 12 race in which 5 of 8 horses had made less then 2,000 in their last 5 starts.  Let the horses drop down try to gain confidence and move back up, this is how the conditioned ladder is supposed to work. If your not sharp enough to be in that class you shouldn't be (what does it matter if you made 100k 3 months ago and you can't get out of your own way now). As far as claimers caps, I know it was probably put in to combat Pena but it has made for less claims because no one wants to claim a horse for 50 who if he wins the night of the claim must race for 75 for the next week or so. 
Harness1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »

The Silver Almahurst 150.4 TR was beaten this year, but didn't count becasue race was 1 1/16th ........ head shake
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »

I certainly agree that the racing at YR needs to be more competitive.  No matter what they try, there always seems to be a load of 3-5's that win pretty consistently.

Maybe they should go back & try A1, B3, C2... leave it up to a qualified racing secretary.  The nw always produced too many big drop downs, IMO.

I also agree that they should start the race "early" but only time the last mile, like Maywood.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: