Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 30, 2014, 12:52:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hawthorne handle  (Read 1612 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »

Wow, pretty amazing I saw the same people more than once at hawthorne, considering the attendance of about 120

Not amazing to see the same people on and off during the day at Hawthorne, or for that matter any racetrack, but mostly amazing is the fact that you were looking at the exact same two welfare recipients during the exact performance time of Our National Anthem, when you were supposed to be respectfully paying attention to Our Flag.

flag
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:25:39 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »

ok terry, im lying, made the whole thing up. 
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »

ok terry, im lying, made the whole thing up. 

I don't think you made the whole thing up. Your private space could have been violated by horrendously intrusive human experience of a guy hitting you up for a cigarette, and then maybe even a dollar. It's been known to happen.

However, the thing about "welfare recipients" being the ones who talked during Our National Anthem ...

And, by the way, if you want to see some real disrespect for the Anthem, try out the welfare recipients in the Park at Arlington some weekend afternoon. (I know they are welfare recipients by the packs of screaming brats.)

jgp

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »

I prefer Hawthorne to arlington, I dont want to pay 10 to get in and 8 for a beer.  And please know that most people Ive met at hawthorne are nice good people, but there is always a good amount of riff raff(hopefully better terminology) I would bring my kids to arlington, probably not to hawthorne.  If im a dick for saying that, so be it. 
Fast n Firm

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »

I saw several posts in regard to the outdated betting machines at Hawthorne...If the machines are a problem, why not go to a Clerk?  Just curious
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »

If I had kids I would not bring them to Hawthorne simply because there is nothing for them to do there, and they would probably end up bothering the other patrons. (Hint hint to the people who DO bring the kids to Haw.  Angry  ) At least AP there's the kiddieland on the east end.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »

I saw several posts in regard to the outdated betting machines at Hawthorne...If the machines are a problem, why not go to a Clerk?  Just curious

Kind of a long walk to live clerk at Haw these days. Sometimes more than a football field.

Fast n Firm

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »

Kind of a long walk to live clerk at Haw these days. Sometimes more than a football field.
Maybe just redesigning the area to make it more convenient.  I've seen people having to go through tables to get to the mutuel line on the 1st floor.  Would people rather go to a clerk or a machine?
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »

Checking the financial results from 2011, I am happy to report that Hawthorne bailed me out this year.  I lost my behind at Arlington this summer.  Hawthorne really improved the condition of the track it appears to me.  As Jim M. says, it did play fairly this fall.

I will miss Hawthorne but I am going into my Tampa mode and hope to equal Hawthorne there.  Of course, I will receive full track prices as AP is now the host I believe.  
pari mutual

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »

Let's just cut the Illinois racing calendar down to one glorious mega-purses day per year. Wow, imagine that average daily handle! Guys could oooh and aaahhhh about it for weeks.

Overall meet handle went up. That's more money coming in to the track, more money coming in for purses, and more tax money coming in to the State. Of course, expenses at the track would be up, too, as would total purses disbursed (which of course would be good for horse owners who are paying day rates 7 days/week regardless).

"In 2011, 15 additional racing days led to an all-sources gross handle increase of about 6 percent, from $135,661,986 to $143,569,455, while gross ontrack handle on live Hawthorne races increased about 12 percent over 2010, rising to $5,955,497 from $5,248,589."

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-longer-meet-results-average-handle-dip

Terry,my major was history,not math,but are you saying 8m handle additional over 16 days is a success,when your per day average is in excess of 2 m per day. Less revenue per day,higher purses,mainly from non wagering source and sixteen more days to open full operation CANNOT lead to any logical definition of success.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »

Would people rather go to a clerk or a machine?

Depends.

Plat room and Horsemen's Lounge tellers are tops. Al M. is the best.

Main floor tellers are a mixed bag, some are pretty crabby but I feel for them (a little), as anyone who has ever had a public-facing job might. But I'm there to make money, not hear everyone else's crap -- and the SAM's hardly ever *** and whine.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »

Terry,my major was history,not math,but are you saying 8m handle additional over 16 days is a success,when your per day average is in excess of 2 m per day. Less revenue per day,higher purses,mainly from non wagering source and sixteen more days to open full operation CANNOT lead to any logical definition of success.

Joe, I think you are being too slavish to the numbers.

Ask the local horsemen what they thought of the meet -- they are PAINFULLY aware of how bad the economy is, and they really appreciated the additional racing opportunities. I heard (second-hand) that two of Chris Dorris' owners came out ahead, first time EVER, and they were thrilled to death after years of donating.

Both tracks -- HAW *and* AP -- need a successful, thriving local horse ownership and local horsemen survive...and they seem to be very pleased with the overall product at Hawthorne. That simply transcends any slight "deficiencies" you might detect in the numbers.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »

horse
  Tell ya how we remedy this situation at FP..... You go to the beer garden and start drinkin some of those two dollar Coronas or Blue Moons.. slip on a pair of shades and things will start lookin better and better! Wink
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »

Terry,my major was history,not math,but are you saying 8m handle additional over 16 days is a success,when your per day average is in excess of 2 m per day.

I didn't say anything at all about success or failure, and I don't know the measure of it from Hawthorne's standpoint. What I do know is that more money overall is better. If this was in terms of you working, would you rather earn $75,000 all year, or work 45 days and average $1,000 per day so you could crow about how much you made each of those 45 days?

Less revenue per day,higher purses,mainly from non wagering source and sixteen more days to open full operation CANNOT lead to any logical definition of success.

See above.

I have no measure to back this next claim up, but I would assume that Illinois wagering on out-of-state tracks is also larger on live racing days. That also puts money in the bank.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:33:25 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »

Maybe just redesigning the area to make it more convenient.  I've seen people having to go through tables to get to the mutuel line on the 1st floor.  Would people rather go to a clerk or a machine?

I always prefer a machine, if it's working. The tellers at Haw always treat me well when I do go to their windows, but just I prefer to do it myself. 

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »

I will miss Hawthorne but I am going into my Tampa mode and hope to equal Hawthorne there.  Of course, I will receive full track prices as AP is now the host I believe.  

You will love the end run Hawthorne made around AP's grab of the winter dark time.

They partnered up with Xpressbet -- who always pays full-track prices -- AND, they make more money when we bet simuls thru Xpressbet over the regular Haw-to-AP tote link; this is because we are identified as customers that HAW brought to the table.

Neat, huh? I can bet dark time all I want and not put a NICKEL in RLD's pocket!  thumbs up
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:18:17 AM by ImOffLimits » Report to moderator   Logged
Chris Szulc

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »

It would really be nice if all the welfare dirtbags would stand up and shut up for that 2 minutes. 

In the dirtbags' defense, sometimes they don't cut out the audio feed from Aqueduct or any other major track playing before Hawthorne opens and it's very difficult to hear it. Now if they're sitting in the back row, see everyone in front of them stand up and still don't, then that's a different story.

What gets me everytime is seeing those 2 or 3 guys that use binoculars to not only watch the simulcast screens but also the self-service machines to check if people are leaving vouchers!  Grin
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »

More misinformed hyperbole.

I haven't been on the backside for awhile, so I can't comment on that, but the physical plant is in just about the best shape I've ever seen in 25 years of attending Chicago racing.

Calling the Hawthorne plant "decrepit" is simply a flat-out LIE. It's clean, well-lighted, and well-maintained.

I dare poster "nmslim" to provide SPECIFIC examples of issues at Hawthorne that could be described as "decrepit" -- this is an Official Barn To Wire BULLSHIT Call.
You haven't been on the backside in a while,but that won't stop you from calling someone a liar and venturing another arrogant opinion will it?As to the frontside,not only are you a tote expert,racing secretary,marketing maven,and master of the construction and facility maintenance.Wow,how are you not running a track somewhere?Oh thats right,you are like the fat guys and guys that have never been near a horse *** about the jocks ride,or trainers job,or stewards decision.Blah,Blah,Blah.I bet your "South Side" scowl really has those octogenarians lips trembling,and SGIs "negotiator" is unable to sleep knowing your size sevens(platform or pump?) are going to be broken off in his nether regions.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »

You haven't been on the backside...As to the frontside...

I said I haven't been on the backside in awhile -- a virtual free pass for you to "set me straight" on how "decrepit" things might be there.

NOTHING.

Specifics about the frontside?

NOTHING.

As I suspected: you are just another Hawthorne-hater, talking out of yer ass. Next!
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »

I said I haven't been on the backside in awhile -- a virtual free pass for you to "set me straight" on how "decrepit" things might be there.

NOTHING.

Specifics about the frontside?

NOTHING.

As I suspected: you are just another Hawthorne-hater, talking out of yer ass. Next!
Wow, you put me in my place!!!You are one stong persuader!!!
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »

Wow, you put me in my place!!!You are one stong persuader!!!

So...still NOTHING?

I don't have to do squat, pal.

You are your own worst enemy: shoot your mouth off, can't back it up. All hot air.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: