Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 30, 2014, 07:03:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handicapping Question  (Read 1391 times)
EasyScore

« on: November 11, 2005, 09:38:59 PM »

Do any of you gamblers take into consideration the temperature at race time.  If so, how do you adjust your speed figures to compensate for colder temperatures versus warm or hot weather.  Hope that I am making sense. Or is temperature a non-factor.  Thank you in advance for your anticipated participation.   Happy Vets day everyone.   You too TC, was it the WAFS or Waves?
Report to moderator   Logged
bigdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 09:42:05 PM »

Maybe dan or scott can help me on this sterling busch(the red head guy) had a trotter many years ago that loved the cold weather he was very good in the cold and rotton in the warm.
Armonsol

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 09:45:12 PM »

Sterling Buch.  Witch of the North.
bigdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 09:47:06 PM »

I spelled it buch and corrected it    my bad
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 10:10:54 PM »

Do any of you gamblers take into consideration the temperature at race time.  If so, how do you adjust your speed figures to compensate for colder temperatures versus warm or hot weather.  Hope that I am making sense. Or is temperature a non-factor.  Thank you in advance for your anticipated participation.   Happy Vets day everyone.   You too TC, was it the WAFS or Waves?

I keep par times by class for the last year (rolling) -- I use these to compute nightly variants.  Although I can't tell you what exact deviation ONLY the temperature causes, I do know what the difference is on a given night...and to me that's all that matters.

I also do variants by quarter -- to account for wind, and other things that may make one quarter tougher than another.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
EasyScore

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 10:22:37 PM »

EW, since horses run faster in warm weather, how do you take that in to account, I do daily variences also in the Tbreds by class.  Do you keep track of key races and bet the also rans that are coming out of a fast race for that class. What other parameters do you keep track of.  Do you use a spreadsheet and take a computer to the track with you?
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 10:42:04 PM »

EW, since horses run faster in warm weather, how do you take that in to account, I do daily variences also in the Tbreds by class.  Do you keep track of key races and bet the also rans that are coming out of a fast race for that class. What other parameters do you keep track of.  Do you use a spreadsheet and take a computer to the track with you?

I use the whole previous year, so the variants subtract time from warm weather times, and add to cold weather times.

Pretty much, they are just numbers, and you can analyze them however you wish...but, it's quite helpful for all the numbers/fractionals to be on an even plane.

I use a database to keep up with all this.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Les Moore

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 11:25:13 PM »

Sterling Buch had a horse named Lord Rick who loved below zero weather. He wired a field on Balmoral's old 5/8ths from the 8 hole in below zero weather and paid $43 to win. The very next week in below zero weather with the wind howling from the North, Lord Rick wired them again from the 8 hole and paid $64. Next week he won from the 4 hole in the same fashion and paid $11. When spring and summer came around, I can't remember Lord Rick hiiting the board.
sn

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 11:32:56 PM »

"Red" Buch's horses were good in the cold weather because you see he used to leave the barn doors open all night no matter how cold it got!!! He had this theary that once they got over being sick and was used to the cold they would be killers in the cold!!!
We were stabled out out at "Reds" and Rabbit Attack grew so much hair from the cold he looked like a wooly bear!!!!
Chitown Stan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 12:32:16 AM »

Tom Wendt gave me a Sterling Buch horse once and the horse won by 10 lengths. Buch had some decent horses. "Red" Buch!!!!
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 12:41:56 AM »

Sterling Buch had a horse named Lord Rick who loved below zero weather. He wired a field on Balmoral's old 5/8ths from the 8 hole in below zero weather and paid $43 to win. The very next week in below zero weather with the wind howling from the North, Lord Rick wired them again from the 8 hole and paid $64. Next week he won from the 4 hole in the same fashion and paid $11. When spring and summer came around, I can't remember Lord Rick hiiting the board.

Les:

My friend trained Lord Rick, his name was Bob Gilman. He died in 1990 of cancer. Lord Rick was meant to be a good horse and Bob bought him from a guy named Robert Wilson for $25K. Gilman's partner name was Edward Prinz, he is the father of the Eddie Prinz who is Erv Miller's first trainer. I drove and won with Lord Rick at the Carmi Country Fair in 1984, I think. He was a big Chestnut knee-knocker who could scoot out of the gate. More good times Les, you must have been around this game for a while, huh?

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life) 

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
Chitown Stan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 12:43:18 AM »

Joe, those were the good old days, I remember me and Tom had a big tri with Lord Rick on top 3,000...thats was big money in those days.
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 01:19:01 AM »

Joe, those were the good old days, I remember me and Tom had a big tri with Lord Rick on top 3,000...thats was big money in those days.

Stan:

If you remember right, I drove Lord Rick in his first two lifetime starts. I think when you had that big trifecta that Wayne Moore drove him. I say that because after we got him going good, Bob Gilman was good friends with Mike Locascio who used Wayne Moore on all of their horses, so Bob used Wayne too. I think Buch drove him later on?

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
Les Moore

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 02:12:34 AM »

Joe D. I remember your horse Carthage. I believe he was a big horse who like to come from behind and was very good at it. He would have loved the Balmoral mile track. Did you ever drive a small horse named Markaboy?
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 02:20:28 AM »

Joe D. I remember your horse Carthage. I believe he was a big horse who like to come from behind and was very good at it. He would have loved the Balmoral mile track. Did you ever drive a small horse named Markaboy?

Les:

Carthage went undefeated at Hawthorne in the winter of 1985, a perfect 6 for 6. Its funny you remembered Carthage because Scott *** just called me and asked me if I could remember the horses name. As far as Markaboy, the name sounds familiar and I think I may have driven him a time or two. If you can tell me the year and trainer of Markaboy, I could probably give you a definative answer.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN