Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 09:40:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Team Perfect Swirl transcript  (Read 322 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: November 04, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

An Interview With: ROGER ATTFIELD, CHARLES FIPKE

THE MODERATOR:  We're now joined by the winning trainer and owner of Perfect Shirl, winner of the Emirates Airlines Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf.  John Velazquez, a man in high demand, riding every Breeders' Cup race today.  He's out there for the Ladies Classic.  We are joined now on my left by trainer Roger Attfield, who's celebrating his first Breeders' Cup victory as a trainer, and to our right is owner Charles Fipke.  He's also celebrating his first Breeders' Cup win.

Gentlemen, congratulations.  Your horse lit up the tote board there at 27.1.  I know, Roger, from hearing on TV that the condition of the turf course was something of a concern, and, in fact, you had scratched out of the E.P. Taylor, or passed that race, due to soft turf.  Other than the fact it was the Breeders' Cup today, were you less than confident going in?

ROGER ATTFIELD:  I was very worried about the turf actually.  The E.P. Taylor was much softer than this turf is, but I was still worried about the going.  You know, when she's running on good yielding turf before, she's never really .. she has never really traveled very well.  So I was concerned because I wanted her to run her best race.  I knew she was sitting on a big race.  On firm turf, I knew she was going to give me that.

I was very worried about the turf course.  As soon as I saw her come down the lane the first time there, she was traveling so well.  I thought, oh, my God, now we've got a chance to show what we've got.  It all turned out well.

THE MODERATOR:  And, Mr. Fipke, I imagine this victory is doubly sweet, as being not just the owner but the breeder, homebred, winning such a prestigious race.  Can you comment on the dual victory, so to speak?

CHARLES FIPKE:  Well, I have to say that she's from very good stock.  She's from Perfect Soul, who is by Sadler's Wells, a Secretariat mare.  And she's by Lady Cheryl who is not only a Group 1 winner, she had been a Group 1 producer of a previous Breeders' Cup winner, and now it's her second Breeders' Cup winner that she's produced.  The horse really did it, but also the jockey.  I mean, he's just wonderful, and Roger is wonderful.  It's a whole team effort.  It's not anybody.

You know, when it comes down to it, it's the heart of the horse, and that horse really has a lot of heart.  That's all I can really say.  It's just wonderful to be associated with such a beautiful horse and such beautiful people.  Thank you.     

THE MODERATOR:  We'd like to alert the media we will be joined in a short while by Corey Nakatani, who rode My Miss Aurelia.  Right now questions for Roger Attfield and Charles Fipke here.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: