Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 20, 2014, 04:59:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $1 million Juvenile Fillies Turf Notes, Thursday, Nov. 3  (Read 177 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: November 03, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »

Ann of the Dance – The daughter of 2007 Breeders’ Cup Turf winner English Channel jogged to the wire and then galloped 1 1/2 m on Thursday under Heather Irion, who is tending to her care until trainer Marty Wolfson arrives Friday.

The filly will be ridden for the first time by Corey Nakatani and is one of the three 30-1 longshots among the full field of 14 for the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. Her stable mate, Ask the Moon, will also carry the Farnsworth colors when she competes later on the card in the Ladies’ Classic.

Dayatthespa – Trainer Chad Brown sent the New York-bred City Zip filly out for a routine morning gallop of 1 3/8m Thursday.

So far, the filly hasn’t had any experience on soft ground.

“There’s not as much to go on to really find what she prefers because she’s only had two career starts,” Brown said. “But from watching her train and being around her, my gut is that she’s going to like firm ground better.

“For her, I’d prefer the ground to be a little firmer. I don’t think she needs to have it, and she’s a young horse, so I’m only speculating. But based on how she moves and as many grass horses that I’ve been around, I’d say she would prefer it a little firmer.”

Dear Lavinia – Trainer Jean-Claude Rouget’s lone representative at this year’s Breeders’ Cup had a steady canter on the main track Thursday. The 2yo daughter of Grand Slam has yet to finish worse than third in her five races but the Juvenile Fillies Turf will be her first Graded/Group stake.

Elusive Kate – The 2-1 morning-line favorite for the Juvenile Fillies Turf was scheduled to exercise on the turf course Thursday morning but the course was closed before turf works began when rain started to fall.

The Elusive Quality filly was scheduled to be sold at auction on Sunday, but instead was sold this week to Teruya Yoshida by her owners Magnolia Racing (owned by Robert and Janice McNair) and Rachel Hood, the wife of trainer John Gosden. Yoshida will keep the filly in Gosden’s care.

“When they go in the (sales) ring, you have no command on their future,” Gosden said. “It was very nice that someone came in and wanted to buy her and send her back to us in Europe.”

Elusive Kate has won four straight races in Europe, most recently the Criterium d Pouliches at Longchamp.

“She’s the top French filly at the moment, the potential champion 2-year-old filly of France,” Gosden said. “The idea was to come here to race then go to the sales. Looking at the race, it’s probably the hottest edition of the Juvenile Fillies Turf I’ve ever seen. It’s a high-quality race.”

Stephanie's Kitten – Trainer Wayne Catalano, who starts Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s daughter of Kitten’s Joy in Friday’s Juvenile Fillies Turf, owns two wins from eight Breeders’ Cup starters, with both of those victories coming in the Juvenile Fillies (Dreaming of Anna in 2006 and She Be Wild in 2009).

“Winning those races is what it’s all about,” Catalano said. “They made some great memories. She Be Wild is in foal to Tapit and Dreaming of Anna’s first foal will be a 2-year-old next year. She’s a Street Cry filly (named All Her Class). Her second foal is by Medaglia D’Oro.”

Stopshoppingmaria/Sweet Cat – Both fillies were on the track for morning gallops Thursday as they began to wind down their final exercises for Friday’s race.

Stopshoppingmaria, named for owner Mike Repole’s wife Maria, has been “doing exceptionally well since arriving here,” trainer Todd Pletcher said.

“She’s got a wonderful disposition,” he said. “She loved it when she worked on the grass here the other day. She’s very kind, so I think she can rate very easily. I think she’ll run a big race.”

Sweet Cat hasn’t put up quite the numbers of her stablemate, but she does have the advantage of two starts on the grass, including a second in the Jessamine in her last start. This will be the grass debut for Stopshoppingmaria, a daughter of More Than Ready.

Up – The daughter of Galileo went to the main track and had a routine canter Thursday morning.

“Up is a filly we have always liked,” trainer Aidan O’Brien said. “She was a bit disappointing on her first run so we gave her a break and she came back and won well (in a maiden race) at Dundalk.”

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: