Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 01:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IRS  (Read 953 times)
thearmada

Ignore
IRS
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »

What are the stipulations for reporting winning bets to the IRS? I hit the Hawthorne Pick 5 today and it paid over $600 and from prior memory stuff like that needs to be reported to the IRS.

Thanks
Report to moderator   Logged
Chris Szulc

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »

If you bet it online using Twinspires or Xpressbet or another ADW, you'll get a tax form (W2-G) in the mail or at year-end.

Nice hit.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »

Yep, you will get a form to fill out.  I bet TVG and got a pick four at Los Alamitos once, and hit it for $975.00..  The killer was I cannot take ONE bit of credit for it, I used the form from the day before!  My husband could not believe my luck.
orioles

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »

Yep, you will get a form to fill out.  I bet TVG and got a pick four at Los Alamitos once, and hit it for $975.00..  The killer was I cannot take ONE bit of credit for it, I used the form from the day before!  My husband could not believe my luck.
When lady luck smiles on you , Take the money and run. Smiley
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:48 AM »

Great story!!  And nice hit to both of you.  You could find a senior citizen to cash it for you and give them a 10% chop rather then you reporting it to the IRS.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »

What are the stipulations for reporting winning bets to the IRS? I hit the Hawthorne Pick 5 today and it paid over $600 and from prior memory stuff like that needs to be reported to the IRS.

In theory, all your wins are supposed to be reported.

Most people only report those wins for which you have to sign and receive a W2G, and that's over $600 plus > 300-1 odds, unless that's changed recently.
pari mutual

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »

Great story!!  And nice hit to both of you.  You could find a senior citizen to cash it for you and give them a 10% chop rather then you reporting it to the IRS.
How dare you encourage a kind old man or lady to break the law! Let me know next time you need one. Wink
thearmada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »

Thanks to all for the responses. I use TwinSpires so I do have records of all my bets placed. If I have enough losses, can it offset the taxes I would face?
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:59:14 PM »

How dare you encourage a kind old man or lady to break the law! Let me know next time you need one. Wink

thumbs up thumbs up  Always better in our pockets than theirs!!
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »

PRISON for Pete Rose and his fellow bettor Tom Giasosa (sp ? ) 

Group hit a $47,000 +  pick six at Turfway Park  and only Giasosa signed for it.

Conspiracy to defraud the IRS   and  Filing False Tax Returns  were Charges ( among other things )  that sent them both to Prison.

Also, lying to a federal agent is a crime , so you could get nailed for merely denying that you did it.

Of course , few of us are as big a target as Pete Rose.  Still ?

alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »

Thanks to all for the responses. I use TwinSpires so I do have records of all my bets placed. If I have enough losses, can it offset the taxes I would face?
Yes, you can deduct your losses up to the amount of your winnings and make it a wash. But that is only for Federal. You cant deduct any losses on your State taxes, your stuck paying the tax.(thats if your an Illinois resident)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »

Yes, you can deduct your losses up to the amount of your winnings and make it a wash. But that is only for Federal. You cant deduct any losses on your State taxes, your stuck paying the tax.(thats if your an Illinois resident)

You have to keep very good doc on your losses, too, in case the IRS wants to see that. I guess a Twin Spires activity printout would do it ... but then of course they would see all your undeclared winners, too. 
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »

If you have Twinspires you can print it out a couple days later.   They used to mail them the same week of the win.  Now they wait until the beginning of the new year to mail the forms.

Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »

In theory, all your wins are supposed to be reported.

Most people only report those wins for which you have to sign and receive a W2G, and that's over $600 plus > 300-1 odds, unless that's changed recently.

A .10 superfecta paying $200 = 2,000 - 1 odds

??
Chris Szulc

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »

A .10 superfecta paying $200 = 2,000 - 1 odds

??

Wouldn't get a W2-G because it didn't pay more than $600.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »

When lady luck smiles on you , Take the money and run. Smiley

Thanks orioles.  I sure did.
lv hillbilly

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »

PRISON for Pete Rose and his fellow bettor Tom Giasosa (sp ? ) 

Group hit a $47,000 +  pick six at Turfway Park  and only Giasosa signed for it.

Conspiracy to defraud the IRS   and  Filing False Tax Returns  were Charges ( among other things )  that sent them both to Prison.

Also, lying to a federal agent is a crime , so you could get nailed for merely denying that you did it.

Of course , few of us are as big a target as Pete Rose.  Still ?

was it turfway or LATONIA?Huh??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: