Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 21, 2014, 09:09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sick horse - Need Help Brainstorming.  (Read 3764 times)
BabyFireFly

« on: September 27, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »

Bought a nice, young trotter a few months ago that came in very poor condition - very thin, weak, bleeding, tying up, lackluster attitude, poor coat, uniform swelling from knee and hock down on all four legs.

Turned him out for 6 weeks to help his lungs heal, gain weight and brighten him up. Now he is back to light work - jogging on the wheel for 20 minutes and going outside after that.

His condition is deteriorating, while he has gained some weight his barrel is bloated, especially around the flanks, but he still has the topline of a feedlot horse. You can literally push his belly in 4 inches (it's soft and squishy). He is drinking a ton of water and staling profusely....soaking his bedding completely in a matter of hours. His appetite is good, getting grass hay and a low starch, high fat, high fiber, low protein extruded feed.

The vets can't figure it out and CBC's are inconclusive.

Symptoms:
Poor performance
Dull, lackluster attitude
Patchy coat
Profuse staling, constant thirst
Eating feces
Very bloated barrel especially behind the ribcage by the flanks
Uniform edema in all four legs

Done So Far:

Panacur Power Pak - Then Ivermectin Dewormer
10 Day Equi-Winner Patch Treatment
Switched to the  Low Starch Feed In Case Itís Metabolic
Turned out 6 Weeks and then an Additional 10 Days While On The Patch
CBCís (3)

The excessive drinking and peeing makes me think itís metabolic. The feces eating, which is totally gross could just be a nasty habit from having to live at the track prior to coming here, but he doesnít have any other habits like this. Iíve never seen a horse get bloated like this before. Two weeks ago it appeared as football sized soft swelling just in front of the flank, behind the last rib and now it is more uniform and he has the appearance of a broodmareÖ.belly hanging very low and big but you can count all his ribs. No one can come up with an answer and I was hoping someone may have come across this themselves and have some insight. I canít get the whole story on  him, but he was a stakes horse as a 3 year old, changed hands and  (I was told, not verified) that the new trainer may have given him something which made him so ill that the training bill was erased and the horse was sent to the sale. After being sold the new owners were unable to get him healthy and thatís how we ended up with him, for 1/30th of the price paid.
Report to moderator   Logged
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »

Only things I could recommend regarding this guy is the obvious at this time.  Locate the vet doing prior work for starts.  Surprised to hear that your vets are stumped, really.  Is budget condusive to shipment to equine clinic?  This sounds life threatening if untreated.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »

Did you guys do a battery of allergy tests? i.e. the old grid on shaven neck?  Could be something there...
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »

tumor or a mass forming or already formed? can you ultrasound the original spot by his flank? good luck
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »

You did a cbc but did you do a Chemistry pan?
What color is his urine?
Where the white cells elevated in your cbc?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

eating feces is what foals do naturally to get a bacteria from the mothers feces to help digestive system have you checked stool for blood whats his temp rate morning and night?

BabyFireFly

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »

Taking him to another clinic tomorrow to get another opinion. They are going to run another bunch of labs and see what they find. The previous trainer had a ton of tests run and tried everything they could and they couldn't help him. We did find out from the guy who originally broke him that he has always eaten his poo. His urine is very clear, almost as if it goes straight through him.

Ultrasound and scoping are on the list if they think that will clue them in....we'll have to see what tomorrow brings.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »

Fly hope all goes well and be praying for your trotter.

Talk to a friend of mine last night that had kind similar  young horse that was septicemia.
Another friend had a horse with some kind of kidney and liver problem.
Best of luck to much guessing.

Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »

Fuzzy seemed on track with this one....so whats the latest Fire?
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »

Dont no buggyboy talked to a old friend last night that has ridden more miles on horse back than I have in a car.
Asked them about a horse they had how the horse was?
They told me their horse CHF and Lymphitis. When they told me their horses symptons very simular but also told me then  also told me about a horse they had with pigeon fever internal i didnot no that was possible.
So hopes all way with Flys horse.

Mort the Sport

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »

Dont no buggyboy talked to a old friend last night that has ridden more miles on horse back than I have in a car.
Asked them about a horse they had how the horse was?
They told me their horse CHF and Lymphitis. When they told me their horses symptons very simular but also told me then  also told me about a horse they had with pigeon fever internal i didnot no that was possible.
So hopes all way with Flys horse.
It sounds like you have and will be spending more money Sad is there anything noxious as far as his/her surroundings? im thinking the environment since it sounds your exhausted,was afecal and urine sample done ,hopefully not stumbling around like an EPM 'horse' a second opinoin as per usual ,Id change his diet to start,  good luck its to bad these horses cant talk.....!
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »

Gives one an eerie feeling when your local trusty vet is stumped.....
BabyFireFly

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 07:04:05 AM »

Sorry I have not posted an update, but I have been super busy. Putting all the recent labs and tests together, the best conclusion that can be drawn from it all is that the horse's system (at some point) was compromised to the point that it has effected multiple systems in his body...including digestive, excretory, circulatory and respiratory. All of these systems show "faults" - levels too high or levels too low. Basically, at some point, something catastrophic happened and most likely was allow'd to go untreated. There has been some "admitted" wrong doing that sort of clues me in on what may have happened and it's the only thing that I can go on. The veterinarians all suggested to continue on with him at a moderate rate since absolute rest has proven to send him backwards....the thinking is that the exercise will promote rebuilding and replenishing (through circulation) of the compromised systems. For now we are working on a free choice (similar to the ABC method) vitamin, mineral, herbal and probiotic system to see exactly what he himself (the horse) feels his body needs....and so far he has taken to wanting the probiotic and garlic the most - which makes sense since his tummy bothers him and garlic is one of the best blood cleansers the planet has provided us with.

I'm going to take some photos this morning and will post them up when I get home from Stga tomorrow night.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »

I read one time that in studying the wild horses it was discovered they self medicate, eating the plants that cure whatever the problem is... if it can be cured.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:09:38 PM »

The "admitted" wrongdoing seems to be the key here obviously.  Any word on exactly what that was?  Not that it really makes a difference at this juncture anyways.  Treating symptoms in your manner should eventually clear things up, if the horse is indeed capable of coming back around.  Sounds like a rough project, but I'm sure he is grateful.  Really surprised a list of suspected culprits has not emerged as yet, i.e. EPO, ect.
Maxim

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »

Firefly --
Just wanted to wish you the best in bringing this horse around to good health.
I hate to hear or read about a suffering animal.
Sounds like the horse is in good hands.
God willing .... you and mother nature will be successful!
Good luck.
DOUBLE AGENT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »

Have they ruled out cushings disease ?
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »

cornell is 130 miles away.......