Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 30, 2014, 11:37:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upward Fixation of the Pateller  (Read 1879 times)
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »

Anyone have any experience with this?  Friend's old riding horse apparently slipped in the mud.  Her farm vet can't manipulate it back in.  She can't really afford Cornell.  Looks like the horse is going to be put down which is a shame since I can see it and it looks like it should be an easy fix for someone who knew what they were doing.  I felt out a couple of the track vets.. being $ oriented they say it will cost more than horse is worth. 
Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:05:07 AM »

Believe it or not a gravel broke through the coronary band of the hind foot.  When we took the gates down from the run-in shed to let him out, he RAN up the hill to join the other horses.
  I told her next time her vet comes, tell him to make sure he packs a hoof tester in his BMW convertible sports car.  That's right, that's what he had the nerve to show up in carrying his little black bag with the kill meds.  Thank God we waited it out.

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »

So this picture you were seeing and painting the worse was because the horse had a serious stone bruise that abcessed and the horse was in such pain he wouldnt put preasure on the hoof?
Most vets are not a real vet there licsense and certificate is only to use your money to wipe their Kooter.
I am so glad the horse is okay.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »

This horse was so lame (big wimp), I thought it was the stifle, too.  Was no heat in the foot.  Horse was very alert and eating good, though.  Didn't have that hopeless I know I'm *** look about him. I wanted to get a second opinion from a real vet, but then none of the racetrack vets wanted to be bothered for a riding horse.  Just lucky the couple days we took trying to get another vet up here paid off.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »

But now that I've done research on the condition, just wondering if anyone has had actual experience with upward fixation of the pateller?  I once had a horse sent to me with a torn pateller ligament.  Owner thought he had an attitude problem pulling himself up training.  Immediately upon lungeing I could see something real strange was going on with the stifle.  Had the vet go over him, sure enough. Another reason I like using the lungeing.  Side view of the whole horse, and going in a circle will make any lameness more pronounced.

BabyFireFly

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »

Working on a stifle on an Amish horse right now....it's amazing what happens when you stop jogging them and just let them walk and rest.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »

Working on a stifle on an Amish horse right now....it's amazing what happens when you stop jogging them and just let them walk and rest.
That is so true.
I brought a friend of mines horses home for a wk. Now the one is a trotter the other a pacer what is so funny this one little trotter everyday around early evening this mare starts trotting around the 12 acers of pasture like she is in training and the pacer follows then my fat ass riding horse and then my Tbred filly. It is so funny to watch. She has her own training schedule.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »

horse
 This is a common problem in Tbs as well. I have found that when they are very tight thru the gluteus muscles and into the back it is a more pronounced problem. They are not using the full extent of the gluteal muscles and thereby more stress is placed on the stifle area. I use exercise of up and down hill lunging or riding will help build the gluteal area and will also strengthen the patella. Trotting poles are good for this too. I have had the vet also treat the geldings with a dose of ECT as opposed to inner blisters seems to really help. In any case Good Luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: