Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 03:13:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kinder whips  (Read 1278 times)
fuzzypants

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »

I am just curious why dont harness horsemen embrace the idea of kinder whips like the Tbreds at Del Mar?
One of my friends last year purchased these for the training of her horses and she feel just like I do nothing piss her off more than to see her athletes come back with a cut on them or a welt from a whip. The new whips are very interesting make a loud pop with the different design of the popper and the material the whip is constructed of wont cut.
Report to moderator   Logged

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »

I have never seen or know of anyone that has used or seen one.
Seriously if the manufacturer would advertise in the trades or send out some free samples they might catch on.
Do they make harness driving kinder whips?  48 inches long

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
pacindel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »

I wonder what real racing would be if no whips were allowed in T-breds or Standardreds!
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »

same as it would be if there were no drugs only real horsemen trainers and drivers would be in the buisness light bulb

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »

I wonder what real racing would be if no whips were allowed in T-breds or Standardreds!
IMHO,
The old horses that have already learned to race would get along just fine.
Taking a field of young inexperienced colts or fillies to the gate would be a real crash bang comedy of errors.  Half the field would never get within 5 lengths of the starting gate.
You don't need to be beating on them, but you need some type of encouragement to keep them focused.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:17:04 AM by looking in » Report to moderator   Logged

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »

You guys know I'm all about the natural horsemanship thing which everybody thinks is lovey dovey please be a nice horsey.  No.  I always have a whip handy.  At first it's for my own protection.  I've been charged at with bared teeth and striking hooves while doing groundwork.  They get a good snap on the nose if they try that.  If I don't need it, great, rather have and not need than need and not have.
  While they are learning to drive, the chirp is the first cue, then the whip is first tapped on the ground getting closer and more forceful.  I usually don't have to actually hit the horse, but will if necessary.  Once I get the desired response (in this case forward movement) the whip is immediately put back on my shoulder.  When I'm sure they know what I want and maybe now they're testing me*, it's please, pretty please, (whack!) pretty please with "sugar".  No playing around, I said "move" I mean move NOW!  Doesn't take them long to learn it's in their best interest to respond at the first ask.
   So, carrying that over to the race.... if a horse has been properly trained to respond to the chirp, the whip shouldn't really be needed.  Certainly not used to slash unmercifully when the horse is giving you all he has.  

*I've never had a horse NOT try to test me at some point.  Almost ALWAYS on the fourth day of training.  I look forward to those days.... sneaky
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:17:39 PM by OldGreyMare » Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: