Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 03:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stays Denied in Horse-Doping Case  (Read 1760 times)
emp

« on: April 25, 2006, 02:43:35 PM »

Stays denied in horse-doping case

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 04/25/06
STAFF REPORT

Prominent harness racing horseman Eric Ledford, who recently was assessed a 10-year suspension and $12,000 fine by state regulators, has been denied a stay of the penalties by the state Racing Commission.

Ledford's attorney, Howard Taylor, said today the case will be taken to the Appellate Division of Superior Court.

Ledford and four others -- including his father, Seldon Ledford -- were arrested March 31 as part of the ""Operation Horsepower'' investigation led by the New Jersey State Police. They face charges that they conspired to dope horses with performance-enhancing drugs with the intent to rig races at the Meadowlands Racetrack and Freehold Raceway.

The commission refused to grant a stay for any of the five individuals on the administrative penalties, which are a combined 44 years in suspensions and fines of $51,500, that were assessed after regulators held hearings at Freehold Raceway on April 4 and 6.

Bob Jordan

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060425/NEWS/60425013
Report to moderator   Logged
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:49:13 PM »

Sounds like someone (plural for more than one) is out of the doping business.

Off-Stride need a cartoon or picture to make this work.

Kenneth J. Chadwick

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
bigwrench
professional left handed hammer opperator

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:20:41 PM »

only 51,000, in fines?? that sad considering how much money they made thro the windows, let alone purse money!

Live harness racing in Toledo Ohio sucks, and its only going to get worse!!

if its got Tits or Tires you will have problems!
Honest1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 04:27:14 PM »

What about all the owners and trainers that fin. second thru sixth to their horses they got screwed big time!
bigwrench
professional left handed hammer opperator

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 06:46:41 PM »

Honest , brings up a good point, why wasnt some of the   purse money ever redistributed??

Live harness racing in Toledo Ohio sucks, and its only going to get worse!!

if its got Tits or Tires you will have problems!
supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 07:22:45 PM »

There was never a positive test. They have to have proof that a particular horse was given an illegal drug. And I doubt they have ANY positive tests because they don't even have a test for the drug of choice allegedly used by Ledford. I'm being VERY pc in saying "allegedly".
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 09:38:13 PM »

There was never a positive test. They have to have proof that a particular horse was given an illegal drug. And I doubt they have ANY positive tests because they don't even have a test for the drug of choice allegedly used by Ledford. I'm being VERY pc in saying "allegedly".
------------------------------------------------------------------

Not really.  George Ryan just got convicted on an entirely circumstantial case.  Nobody SAW him
take a bribe.  Dan Webb, known as on of the BEST trial defense attorneys in the United States just got
his as* kicked and NOBODY saw George Ryan take a direct bribe. 

Keep in mind they probably have hours and hours of wire-tapped phone conversations between the Ledfords,
the Dailey's and others that, when combined with the drugs found in their house and garage, along with
the impossible winning percentage and the fact that Eric Ledford was training these horses on a daily basis
is PLENTY for them to go on.

I say they end up dropping the criminal case and jail demand if Ledford's admit to guilt and the 10 year
suspension.
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 10:06:37 PM »

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not really.  George Ryan just got convicted on an entirely circumstantial case.  Nobody SAW him
take a bribe.  Dan Webb, known as on of the BEST trial defense attorneys in the United States just got
his as* kicked and NOBODY saw George Ryan take a direct bribe. 

Keep in mind they probably have hours and hours of wire-tapped phone conversations between the Ledfords,
the Dailey's and others that, when combined with the drugs found in their house and garage, along with
the impossible winning percentage and the fact that Eric Ledford was training these horses on a daily basis
is PLENTY for them to go on.

I say they end up dropping the criminal case and jail demand if Ledford's admit to guilt and the 10 year
suspension.

Trotter1:

Circumstantial (indirect) evidence can definitely be damaging in a trial.  In Ryan's case, you make a very good point, however; every American has a right to be judged by a fair and impartial jury.  Mr. Ryan was denied that right when it was later found that two of the jurors lied and committed perjury because they were so eager to serve.

I'd be willing to be that Mr. Ryan will be granted a new trial on appeal because of this.  I have no opinion about his guilt and could care less but I hate to see judicial flaws like this within the system.  It's horrible when anyone falls victim to a biased system.  We should find a better way of screening potential jurors, in my opinion.  The two jurors who lied will definitely be charged and probably end up paying a fine or community service as a result of their actions. 

When somebody answers "no" when asked if they have ever filed a lawsuit and such, and it is later discovered that they lied, it taints their creditability in my opinion and opens the door for injustice.  Ryan will probably appeal his case on the grounds of him not being judged by a fair and impartial jury.  What a shame is all I can.  Ryan does deserve a new trail under the circumstances and I'll bet he gets one.  Just my opinion but you make a very good point in correlation to Ledford with regard to circumstantial (indirect) evidence. I know one thing as far as circumstantial (indirect) evidence is concerned, as my Criminal Law Professor always said; “if you throw enough shit at the wall, sooner or later some of it will stick.”  How very true, huh?

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel for Life)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 10:09:28 PM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
Honest1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 11:56:01 PM »

Joe, So what your saying is in fact if they dont have tests they cant prove it was admin. to those horses thus not guilty of rigging those races and it was not in ELs possesion so it could be EL could be cleared?
I have said all along the Daileys are in a heap of doo doo! And the Ledfords will sell them out to keep their empire going.
thebigticket

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »

What about all the owners and trainers that fin. second thru sixth to their horses they got screwed big time!

Come on man. Do you believe that all of these trainers in NJ are all training on hay and oats? Below are the numbers of Ledford, Silva, and Croghan. They are almost identical. I am not defending Ledford, his operation got caught not playing by the rules but I dont believe that the rest of these guys are all choir boys, we all know that Croghan has had some positive tests in the past. Seeyouinmydreams was racing pretty good for Ledford, he has now entered the Croghan barn. If Ledford was juicing this horse up what the hell is Croghan giving him, because he is performing better for Croghan?

2 S Ledford 180 48 29 22 27% 0.397 $721,766
3 M Silva 185 41 31 17 22% 0.345 $706,456
4 R Croghan 181 39 24 21 22% 0.328 $713,113
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:51:57 AM by thebigticket » Report to moderator   Logged
MC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 01:08:43 AM »

A+ post, your exactly right 100%!
supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:17 AM »

My point was that they CANNOT reallocate any purse money without a positive test(s). Just because somebody is caught with an illegal drug doesn't prove they gave it to ANY particular horse. Are they supposed to guess which horse had it and which horse didn't? Are they supposed to take every purse check away from Ledfords horses??  Not in a million years.
Richard Breth

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 01:38:01 AM »

My point was that they CANNOT reallocate any purse money without a positive test(s). Just because somebody is caught with an illegal drug doesn't prove they gave it to ANY particular horse. Are they supposed to guess which horse had it and which horse didn't? Are they supposed to take every purse check away from Ledfords horses??  Not in a million years.

Agree.

Probaly horses finsihed second to sixth was doped also any ways only not as good.
emp

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 04:46:14 AM »

Penalties upheld in case about fixing races, blood-doping

Regulators deny request for stay
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 04/26/06
BY BOB JORDAN
FREEHOLD BUREAU

State regulators have rejected a request for a stay of a combined 44 years in suspensions and $51,500 in fines assessed by the state Racing Commission to prominent harness racing horseman Eric Ledford and four associates.

But Ledford's attorney, Howard Taylor of Philadelphia, said he plans to go to court to appeal the penalties against the Freehold Raceway star and Meadowlands Racetrack driver and said he doubts the government has the proper evidence to proceed with formal criminal charges against Ledford.

Ledford and the others were arrested March 31 by the New Jersey State Police on race-fixing charges that included allegations of blood-doping of horses after a raid at a barn at Showplace Farms, Millstone Township, and a sweep at the home of two stable employees.

Taylor said a date for grand jury presentation has not been scheduled.

Authorities had said Ledford was the trainer of the horses that were part of the investigation, but Taylor said Ledford was never the trainer of record for the horses.

"They've been canvassing Showplace Farms to find people who will say Eric was there in the mornings training the horses, but they can't find those people," Taylor said of authorities. "The only way they can tie Eric into this thing is to say he was the de facto trainer. But they don't have enough people saying that because he wasn't there (on a daily basis)."

Taylor added, "I'm hopeful that Eric won't be formally charged. It appears that they don't have what they thought they had."

Peter Asselstine, a spokesman for the state Attorney General's Office, said the scheduling of a grand jury presentation depends on many variables.

"I can't comment on this case in particular because this is an ongoing investigation," Asselstine said.

Ledford received a 10 1/2-year suspension and was fined $12,000 by the state Racing Commission earlier this month. His father, Seldon Ledford, received identical penalties.

Also punished were stable employees Ryan Dailey and his wife, Ardena Dailey, and veterinarian John Witmer. The Daileys received suspensions of eight years and fines of $10,000 each. Witmer was suspended for seven years and fined $7,500.

The suspensions generally also apply to other states where harness racing is conducted because of reciprocal agreements among jurisdictions.

The requests for stays of the penalties were denied because holding off on the sanctions would be "inimical to the integrity of the sport," the Racing Commission said.

The penalties have been appealed, which will be handled by the state's Office of Administrative Law, Taylor said, and that office can render a decision that the Racing Commission can adopt, reject or modify.

Taylor said he will make another request for stay, pending the appeals, through the Appellate Division of the state Superior Court.

Bob Jordan: (732) 308-7751, bjordan@app.com

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060426/NEWS01/604260391/1004/rss01
thebigticket

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 10:08:50 AM »

I have a few other things I would like to add. To the best of everyone's knowledge they dont have a positive test for aranesp or fentanyl so where is the proof that these drugs were given to the race horses? How do they come up with a race fixing charge when the drugs were not even found at the barn? The drugs were at a private residence. The shockwave machine was not at the barn either. Not long ago Noel Daley who was the leading trainers at the Big M and was raided and they found all sorts of medications at the barn as well as a shockwave machine and to top that off he had received a positive test that prompted the raid. He got a fine and a 180 day suspension. Where is the the race fixing charge on him? Where is the criminal charge for possessing medications without a prescription? I really dont want to sound as if I am defending Ledford but good god what kind of guidelines do they use out there in NJ? How does one guy get a slap on the wrist and someone else gets the book thrown at them? Its pretty obvious that Eric Ledford is the one with the "horse sense" in his family. Ask yourself this question. Its also obvious that Mike Lachance is the one with the superior "horse sense" in his family. Its been said that he is at the barn every morning with his son jogging horses and helping out with the training end. Look how bad his son Patrick's stable suffered when his dad went on a 6 month vacation. His stable was suffering so bad that his best horse Casimir Camotion taken from him and turned over to another trainer. Should Mike be listed as the trainer of record? Is his son more like and assistant trainer? Is it really any different than Seldon being listed as the trainer?

One other thing I would like to add from the detention barn side of this. The state investigators have said that this medication aranesp was so potent and that could be given days before the race and still have a big effect on the horses performances. If that is so true then why did his horses have a drop off while racing in detention? There was no test out there to detect this medication. They have said this investigation has been going on for 18 months. What would make them investigate Ledford for that period of time? He was not the leading trainer there last year. Noel Daley, Ken Rucker, and Mark Silva had unbelievable numbers there last year.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:11:17 AM by thebigticket » Report to moderator   Logged
thebigticket

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 10:19:06 AM »

Trotter1:

Just my opinion but you make a very good point in correlation to Ledford with regard to circumstantial (indirect) evidence. I know one thing as far as circumstantial (indirect) evidence is concerned, as my Criminal Law Professor always said; “if you throw enough shit at the wall, sooner or later some of it will stick.”  How very true, huh?

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel for Life)

Joe if you read my post before this I have asked some question. Is it possible that a good lawyer can argue that Ledford was not punished in accordance like others that have committed rules violations before him? You could really make a good argument that Noel Daley was slapped on the wrist compared to what Ledford received. They had all sorts of evidence on Noel Daley that could have warrented a much tougher punishment?
Dan Nance

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 11:43:39 AM »

Penalties upheld in case about fixing races, blood-doping

Regulators deny request for stay

Authorities had said Ledford was the trainer of the horses that were part of the investigation, but Taylor said Ledford was never the trainer of record for the horses.

Hey goofs, look at his tax returns and if he claimed any money above his drivers fees then that would prove he received money from training fees.

"They've been canvassing Showplace Farms to find people who will say Eric was there in the mornings training the horses, but they can't find those people," Taylor said of authorities. "The only way they can tie Eric into this thing is to say he was the DE facto trainer. But they don't have enough people saying that because he wasn't there (on a daily basis)."

They don't have ENOUGH people but they have some and that might be all they need. Not everyone is going to rat him out.

Taylor added, "I'm hopeful that Eric won't be formally charged. It appears that they don't have what they thought they had."

It APPEARS they don't have what they thought they had. APPEARS, is the key word. It appears that to him but he doesn't know what they have until they do a discloser of evidence in court.

"I can't comment on this case in particular because this is an ongoing investigation," Asselstine said.

He can't comment because he knows damn well they are working on developing a test for Aranesp so they can go back and test the samples and then hang all their butts to the wall.

SUPERMAN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »

Dan, do you think they are holding samples??? Or have you heard that?Huh
Dan Nance

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 12:06:54 PM »

Dan, do you think they are holding samples??? Or have you heard that?Huh

When they take blood there is always two samples. One is called a referee sample. These samples are kept on ice and can be tested again at some point in time if they have reason too.

If they can or are developing a test for Aranesp they can go back and test all the samples because the labs store them.
moni.maker

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 12:15:09 PM »

from what i have read, aranesp produces little if any by-products in the blood.  i think the blood samples are useless.  i did read that it does leave traces in the bone marrow though.  Maybe they can find out by autopsying the dead trotter they found.
Dan Nance

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 12:22:10 PM »

from what i have read, aranesp produces little if any by-products in the blood.  i think the blood samples are useless.  i did read that it does leave traces in the bone marrow though.  Maybe they can find out by autopsying the dead trotter they found.

All we can do is sit around and wait until all this goes to court. I believe they will drag it out for a long time while the Ledfords and the rest involved sit around all day long with their finger up their ass wondering what's going to happen while their lawyers get fat and tell them what they want to hear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: